At what age did you start getting white hair?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. averagemom profile image60
    averagemomposted 14 years ago

At what age did you start getting white hair?

I am 34 and began seeing more white hairs.  Is this too young?  What can be the cause and is there an herbal remedy that can stop it from becoming worse?

2. pippap profile image80
    pippapposted 14 years ago

I started going grey at 16.  I was totally grey by 40.  There is no right age for grey, white or silver hair.  Genetics play an important role in the timing of your white hair.

I don't know of any herbal remedies that can stop it from getting worse.

3. profile image0
    sord87posted 14 years ago

It is normal to have white hair at 34,I am 40,half of my hair begin to turn white.I think you should concentrate more on vegetables,it could reduce white hair growing fast.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Some people get a few white/gray hairs very young, but they don't turn into much.  One possible reason for premature graying can be a vitamin deficiency.  There are other causes, but making sure you get the right combination and amounts of vitamins, minerals, etc., is probably one thing to do.

I got a few gray hairs coming out of a scar I've had for decades.  At the time I was in my late thirties, and I was worried I was turning prematurely gray.  The gray only came from the scar (follicle damage is another possible cause for early graying, so I'm assuming follicles in scar tissue may be more likely to "have issues").

In my forties I saw a few more, but even then I could "pass them off as blond highlights" because I have light hair.  For the most part, even with an occasional one showing up, my hair has remained its original color (although these days, well past my fiftieth birthday) I'm starting to notice that my light brown hair seems to be looking "blonder".  The days of not needing to color my hair seem to be numbered at this point. 

The point is (and everyone is different), even more than ten years after seeing those first few, hard-to-see, gray hairs; my hair is still brown (with a few "highlights" here and there.  smile  ).

Here's a pretty good page that may be reassuring to you, or anyone, with a few gray hairs.  It also offers some other things to keep in mind if you believe your hair is prematurely (and "seriously") graying:

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C574183.html

Apparently, based on information on that page, 50% of people start to go gray before 50 years old.

5. ged49 profile image61
    ged49posted 14 years ago

my wife started going grey at 18 and i started to get grey hairs when i was about 23 so i think that people are going grey earlier but there are more hair dyes about nowadays so people are hiding it longer .

6. H P Roychoudhury profile image43
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 14 years ago

The growing of gray hair does not depend upon the age. The research work says it depends upon genetic genes, body vitamins, minerals and also other factors – not known yet. Keeping a healthy health and caring hair might delay the growing of gray hair otherwise it is natural with individuals.

7. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

In this new world of stress and depression, getting premature gray hair and then white hair is not bound to age or time constraints. Some people start noticing white hair at the age of 20 or more and some at the age of 35 or more because there are many factors involved with white hairs like stress, depression, disappointment, drug abuse, chain smoking, mental illness, hereditary factors, and many other things. These factors abrupt the natural process of hair growth and pigmentation and cause white hairs.

8. davidseeger profile image60
    davidseegerposted 13 years ago

I knew a fellow in high school who had white hair. He was about 16. Oh, and he was albino

9. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 13 years ago

I started getting grayish white hairs in my late 20s.  It wouldn't be such a big deal except my hair is very dark, so the grays really stand out.  I don't think it can be prevented.

10. Elefanza profile image67
    Elefanzaposted 13 years ago

I started getting white hair when I was between 15 and 16 years old. I don't know how to stop it, but am hoping that more white hair showcases my wonderful, eccentric qualities. Yeah, white hair!

11. oldhorse profile image58
    oldhorseposted 13 years ago

I started noticing white hairs in my mid-forties.  On the other hand, my wife doesn't have any yet.  So, I think it is one of those things that is different for every person.  Consider it a mark of wisdom.  Acceptance is easier to come by than remedy.  ^smile

12. chasemillis profile image68
    chasemillisposted 13 years ago

Ya, one of my good friends has a ton of white hairs at age 17, and he started getting them from 15-16. It's really funny because he's got ADHD. He reps it too

13. penlady profile image60
    penladyposted 12 years ago

I started graying in my mid 30s.  This earliness runs on my mother's side of the family.  Genetics does play a big role in matters such as this.

14. profile image51
    nagraj s vulsiposted 9 years ago

iam  nagraj from mumbai my age 31 my shave area white hair pls how can white hair to black hair convert pls help as solve my problem

15. Stella Kaye profile image84
    Stella Kayeposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13633851_f260.jpg

I was 37, but it varies depending on your natural hair colour, your genes and your general state of health.You do hear tales of people going grey overnight due to worry but this has no scientific basis as it's a gradual process. The good thing is there are so many easy to apply hair colourants nowadays that you don't have to remain grey at any age if you don't want to!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)