Do you think it's wrong for a gay couple to marry?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. gqgirl profile image67
    gqgirlposted 13 years ago

Looking for opinions on this matter as it will relate to a hub in the future.

2. blondestblnd profile image60
    blondestblndposted 13 years ago

Not at all. Who is to say who someone can marry? It makes no sense to me, that as of 2010 people still oppose it and it is illegal. It doesn't hurt anyone!!! That's just my opinion.

3. vydyulashashi profile image59
    vydyulashashiposted 13 years ago

i think therz nothing wrong
    they have a heart and most of them don uderstand them and quarantined out of the society...

4. lostdogrwd profile image59
    lostdogrwdposted 13 years ago

don,t care what they do. God made man and woman but some people say I,m a man and want a man and I,m a woman and I want woman. what on God  earth can anyone tell them. I just stay out there way and they mine

5. gqgirl profile image67
    gqgirlposted 13 years ago

Though personally I have no problem with it as it doesn't effect me or my personal life. I respect all opinions and hope to see more on this question. Thanks all of you for your answers thus far!

6. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

I suppose it depends largely on your definition of marriage and the reasons why people wish to get married.

Traditionally it is a bonding between a man and a woman usually for the purposes of starting a family and in recognition of such a union the state over the years has granted certain rights and privileges to married couples in the form of certain financial benefits and relief of taxes. Such rights and privileges were not normally granted to couples who merely lived together.

Over time the laws were changed to grant certain rights to non married people who were deemed as ‘Common Law’ wife/husband where it was shown that they shared a communal home and in many cases had children.   In cases of separation from or the loss of a Common Law partner it left the remaining partner, and any offspring extremely vulnerable in law as to any automatic State rights seen as the just right of a married person.

The granting of such rights to Common Law couples led in time to demands from the homosexual community for similar rights and in some cases these were granted although at the time it was originally thought only to be to level the financial and property playing fields.

Such marriages were seen as a way of formalising such unions in a legal way so as to protect certain legal rights of the partners.  I don’t think procreation was considered an issue since such an event is clearly impossible between a same sex couple.

So in answer to the main question do I think it’s wrong, personally I could care less it’s their life and as long as it effects only them then who does it hurt ? 

However, when gay couples want to go all the way and play happy families then I for one would draw the line.

It’s not that I think gay people would make bad parents, they may be more caring and loving than many straight people in that role. However I truly believe that every child has a right to a balance in their life and that can only come from having both a mother and a father figure in their life.

No matter how honest a gay couple, of either sex, I believe their true opinion of sexual orientation is bound to be biased and this must reflect upon the mind of a vulnerable child.

7. davidseeger profile image61
    davidseegerposted 13 years ago

For a gay couple to be in a committed relationship is, in my view, not wrong. If they want to operate in the union with all of the constraints as well as priviledges as a heterosexual couple than I can support that. What I don't understand is their insistance on calling it a marriage. Traditional a marriage is the recognition of a relationship between a man and a woman. Why is there the need to change that? Give us a term that allows us to distinguish between hetero and homo relationships. Nothing can make the two types of relationships equivalent. We don't need to try to force both styles into the same mold.

8. christopheranton profile image64
    christopherantonposted 13 years ago

It shouldnt really matter. It should be fully legalised in every country that claims to respect human rights. The churches ought to stay out of the issue also. They are on very dodgy ground when they claim that the bible forbids same sex relationships, and most of them know that, but are too prejudiced to admit it.

9. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
    Daniel J. Neumannposted 13 years ago

Haha. No. But you're a Marxist if you're into equality. smile

10. meow48 profile image65
    meow48posted 13 years ago

no.  it is not wrong, i mean they should be able to get marriage benifits like health care and the like, and ssi, when they retiire and when widow benifits too.  of course, they would also have to face divorce, adultery, and spousal support....

11. JacobYeager profile image59
    JacobYeagerposted 13 years ago

If your not involved in the marridge in anyother way than trying to stop it because its samesex then you should not care. Obviously these people who are getting married arnt hurting you by doing and you are simply a jackass for trying to stop it. Get over it and live your own life. I have many gay friends and It sucks that they have to live through prejudice for that.

12. profile image52
    sophieparker10posted 13 years ago

Not at all.. Gay marriage is a proud thing.. True Feelings are the only things that matter

13. Vandelay profile image62
    Vandelayposted 13 years ago

No, but I must admitt that I used to have a problem with the idea, until I met a wonderful young lady who taught me that: love is love...period. All people have the right to know and feel love.

14. destiny4885 profile image60
    destiny4885posted 13 years ago

Im a christian and in my religion it says its wrong, but in my personal opinion you cant help who your attracted to. its not something you choose, its genetically in your body and mind.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)