What's Your Favorite Black-Themed Movie(s)?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (59 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Black-themed as in, movies that feature a predominant black cast, and or is based in a black neighbourhood, or about black people, or black lifestyle, however, whichever. Post on!

1. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of my favourite all African-American themed movies would be "Deliver us from Eva".

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Zulu. big_smile

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant Mark. Classic. big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Well, it met most of your criteria - predominantly black cast, in a black neighborhood, and about black people. 'Course, most of them are dead, but you can't have everything... big_smile

http://www.battlefield-site.co.uk/RorkeDriftGr.jpg

What is wrong with fucking bushmen anyway?

Or is it a sin to fuck bushmen? lol

1. profile image0

Nothing wrong with them, Mark. I love those little fuckers. They're just naked and live in the desert, they dont get to see white people often. Whereas I do, as that ryanket insinuated. Btw, ever saw that movie, The Gods Must Be Crazy - by far my favorite native movie! smile

As you say - a classic - especially as I am an "enlightened" English man. Sometimes I cringe at the things we have done. You know we invented the concentration camp? In Africa - the Boer war. sad

Never  met a real bushman though.

1. profile image0

Yes I know, Mark. I dont let it influence my perception of white people, though. smile

Well, you should. Nothing like learning from history to prevent repeating the mistake. wink

1. profile image0

yeah, i know what you mean. I know plenty nice people, and sometimes I get this vibe that they think I'm gonna swallow them up if they aren't nice to me. Its amusing somehow. Some white people feel they black people niceness. Its ok, but it shouldn't be a black thing. However, it'll probably always be. White people will always remember what their ancestors did. And black people will always remember what their ancestors suffered. Its the bitter cycle.

2. AsherKade profile image59
                AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's because of assholes like those that made some white ppl look like haters. Black ppl are cool...

1. profile image0

Pls dont use that 'I love black people' line...lol. Just messing with ya. smile

1. AsherKade profile image59

I don't have to nut man,tongue I  have 'em all over my walls and written in my heart. love my friends and family very passionately...

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*Diary Of A Mad Black Woman by Tyler Perry
      *Why Did I Get Married
      *Madea Goes To Jail the entire Tyler Perry series. smile

oops I also enjoyed "Soul Food and " Are We There Yet?" big_smile

4. gman4eva profile image58
      gman4evaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For Me It Has 2 Be White Chicks! IL That FIlm

2. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

The Crow.

I know - it's not very 'black themed' as you put it. But it is very dark.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Even if I had one, I would have keep my mouth shut, out of the fear of being called a racist big_smile

1. profile image0

by all means keep it shut. smile

2. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh go on Misha. Could be worse.

You could have Mr Knowles calling you a religionist smile

1. profile image0

Pray tell me frog, how does being called a religionist better than being called a racist?

1. frogdropping profile image76
          frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't.

It was tongue in cheek.

1. profile image0

I see.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I'm Gonna Get You Sucka

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I don't really have a favourite "black movie" as I object to the terminology a little.... I would certainly never call a movie a "white movie" because there are a majority of white actors in it.

But my favourite black actor is Morgan Freeman, and my favourite Morgan Freeman movie is The Shawshank Redemption; which has a predominently white cast.

6. Pearldiver profile image69
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Chucky 8 & His M8.. Filmed in the Kuwait Oilwells.
    ................... The Film was a real gusher! lol

7. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

There's a Black Lifestyle?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Apparently so... there is clearly no such thing as multi-culturalism in society and we all go to secret 'black clubs' and 'white clubs'.

He is from Nigeria in fairness, where he probably very rarely sees a white person. I suggest that he takes a trip to New York if he wants to see the ultimate multi cultural society.

1. profile image0

Can you believe this guy? He's so full of crap!

8. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I absolutely adored the movie "Corrina, Corrina" starring Whoopi Goldberg and Ray Liotta. It was all about a black woman and a white man falling in love with each other in the 50's and how it was perceived by society at the time. It was both written and directed by Jessie Nelson.

9. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I love comedies, so I guess Friday would be my absolute favorite.  There is also Hollywood Shuffle and Don't Be a Menace While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.  I could watch these movies everyday.

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL

Mine are Ethiopians then, I just melt at the sight of an Ethiopian girl. smile

11. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

The Color Purple...Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah Winfrey, and Stephen Spielberg. About African Americans in the 1900's, what they had to go through and what they had to endure, and the there triumph in the end. A very inspirational movie.  favorite Drama movie

12. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

My favorite African American comedy/drama would have to be diary of a mad black woman.  Tyler Perry

13. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Men in Black

14. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Okay, I'll bite, sans social/political commentary. smile
    I used to skip class to go watch Boyz in the Hood when I was in Junior High School. I loved that movie and I do believe it fits your criteria. The parody of it (and other 'gangsta' movies),"Don't Be A Menace.." which Davina mentioned, is damn hilarious too!

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I forgot about Boyz in the HoodBad Boys is good too, and I Think I Love My Wife.  Where I come from, these are just considered comedies.  Everyone watches all kinds of movies.

15. Ms._Info profile image70
    Ms._Infoposted 14 years ago

Coming to America & The Pursuit of Happyness

16. AsherKade profile image59
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

Look Who's Coming For Dinner...cracks me up everytime....ppl should be more open and accepting...(but don't sacriice morals and beliefs either)

17. AsherKade profile image59

oh yea, Big Momma's House....gosh that's hilarious...

18. AsherKade profile image59

OMG  http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/frank_discovers_password_t.jpg

'Apparently so... there is clearly no such thing as multi-culturalism in society and we all go to secret 'black clubs' and 'white clubs'.

He is from Nigeria in fairness, where he probably very rarely sees a white person. I suggest that he takes a trip to New York if he wants to see the ultimate multi cultural society.'

1. profile image0

Can you believe that piece of crap? Like I'm a fucking bushman of the Kalahari! Practically half of my real friends are white people for pete's sake! I live in the most populous nation in Africa, to even think that! How dumb can a person possibly be? And to think this guy had the balls to call me stupid sometime...well, how clear are we on who's stupid now. smile

1. XTASIS profile image60
        XTASISposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're in flames ! lol And with reason What crap!

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You seem to be the only racist around. So, you are not a fucking bushmen, right? You are full of crap man, go get some lemon cleansing.

1. profile image0

You know, for a smart man, you talk like an idiot sometimes. I dont blame you, though, its that big ego in your thick head. I see you, but I ignore you. From one 'bushman' to a real 'class-act'. smile

19. AsherKade profile image59

flame on....

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/flames.jpg

20. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I should open a shop and sell troll food.

1. AEvans profile image71

Trolls and bits will be the name.lolololo big_smile

1. AsherKade profile image59

catchy....

21. maven101 profile image72
    maven101posted 14 years ago

You can always count on Misha to tell it like it is...LOL

22. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

The Gods Must Be Crazy, now that was a good show!!

23. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I like the movie FRIDAY. lol

24. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Amistad, Tsotsi, and Blood Diamond.

1. profile image0

Great selection there, Val.

25. maven101 profile image72
    maven101posted 14 years ago

Porgy and Bess...

1. AEvans profile image71

I like those too!!smile

26. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Norbit, laughed so much, Loved it
    Welcome home Roscoe Jenkins (so funny, Martin Lawrence is awesome)
    Big Momma's house (both of them)

27. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

"Birth of a Nation" sort of had a black theme.....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)