What sounds would a person hear in a forest?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (21 posts)
  1. kookoo88 profile image61
    kookoo88posted 13 years ago

What sounds would a person hear in a forest?

I'm trying to describe a forest in my book.  I have "humming of insects", chirping of birds", "Noises of critters", and "breeze whispering through pine needles" 
    Any other ideas?

1. ghp-magazine profile image59
      ghp-magazineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Cool

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You made me go there...…...the hissing of snakes.

2. Fancy Poet Girl profile image79
      Fancy Poet Girlposted 3 years agoin reply to this

If there's a stream nearby, you could said "The trickling sound of the stream", and for a meadow you could say, "The near silent whisper of the tall grasses and flowers dancing in the wind."

1. contactlistio profile image43
        contactlistioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Awsome

1. Fancy Poet Girl profile image79
          Fancy Poet Girlposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

3. muzammil958978 profile image59
      muzammil958978posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Bhi bhi sn an an

2. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

when you walk or scare an animal you usually hear a lot of "bristling" I don't know if I can think of the right word to describe it, although it may be right.. But it does make quite a noise when even a little lizard scatters off through grass, leaves, and weeds. Swish swish swish type of sound(come up with a better word please )

Maybe footsteps?
    shaking trees from animals landing/climbing/flying in them
    Bird wings

I actually did something like this as a creative writing. It might give you some ideas. I'm only okay at writing, don't do it much. Its not long, but I tried to use all of my senses.

not that you need other sense, but examples are. Like the smell of humidity, I grazed my arm on the bark of the tree.

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-trip-down-the … lk-to-fish

3. profile image0
    ankigarg87posted 13 years ago

A person can hear many sounds in a forest like

Twigs snapping Geese honk

birds chirping footsteps

wolf howling bees buzzing

owl hooting mosquitos around your ear

duck quacking water flowing

fish jumping dogs barking

forgs croaking snakes slithering

4. eculligan profile image65
    eculliganposted 13 years ago

Frogs chirping in the ponds,crickets and owls.  Trees moving in the winds and often animals running through the brush.

1. profile image49
      Julia951posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Really good .,xx

5. profile image49
    Julia951posted 10 years ago

The light was fading, creating new shadows and dark patches around me. Eyes glimmered from tree hollows. The wind wailed between distorted trunks, carrying the sickly stink of wood rot. I moved faster, ignoring the briars that caught at my jeans, the damp leaves that grimed my skin

6. Robert Levine profile image84
    Robert Levineposted 7 years ago

Screeching of cicadas.  Gurgling of streams.  Hammering of woodpeckers.

7. profile image48
    michel rajposted 6 years ago

i think sound of birds, animal, and insects...

8. bluesradio profile image56
    bluesradioposted 6 years ago

In NC woods, you will hear Raccoon, Possum and Deer but also rabbits and various birds as well as snakes, lizards and feral cats and wild dogs.   And of course the woods are near traffic you will hear vehicles too.   And of course the wind rustling trees and the sound of running creeks..,

9. LauraTallo profile image61
    LauraTalloposted 6 years ago

Rustling leaves, wind blowing through the trees, pine cones falling, birds calling, mosquitos buzzing, coyotes yapping, squirrels chittering and barking, the rustle of leaves as a deer walks by...

Don't forget to describe the smells and sights as well.

10. profile image53
    Salty Sam 54posted 6 years ago

Trees falling, which, apparently, cannot be heard without humans being present.

11. escole61 profile image60
    escole61posted 6 years ago

What about the scrunching of dead leaves?

12. sullyosully profile image60
    sullyosullyposted 6 years ago

Whenever I'm alone in a wood/forest I tend to sing thereby drowning out any creepy nature sounds or the footfall of a stalking Big Foot.

13. profile image53
    skyfallingyetposted 6 years ago

The echoing of quietness. Being far, far away from the noise of traffic and other people the sounds of the city echo in your ears. It can be ever so slight, or it can be loud and maddening. https://www.wired.com/2015/05/big-quest … ngs-arent/   It takes days for the sounds you have heard to stop reverberating.

14. Olumisin Tolulope Tinuoye profile image51
    Olumisin Tolulope Tinuoyeposted 3 years ago

frog croaking

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)