What will you do when your commitment to the Lord seems a conflict for your fami

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. orlansison profile image60
    orlansisonposted 12 years ago

What will you do when your commitment to the Lord seems a conflict for your family?

When I received Christ in my heart I put Him on the center of my life. He is my reason and inspiration for everything. But this fashion I have for the Lord seems a hindrance to my mother and sisters. They no longer felt my presence at home. One day my sister told me, that I was like isolating myself from them. My love for the Lord was misinterpreted. (Thank you for any answer/s it would be consider as a friendly advise.)

2. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 12 years ago

It is our duty to serve the Lord no matter the cost.  He wants no man before him (even relatives).  He wants to be our top priority.  In the end, he will work things out with your family the way HE wants them to work out.  In order to serve God to the fullest, sometimes we have to make sacrifices.

3. Judah's Daughter profile image77
    Judah's Daughterposted 12 years ago

If this was in regard to your WIFE, I would give a different answer, based on 1 Cor 7:33 - the Lord says if you are married, you have to be concerned about pleasing your wife (spiritually, emotionally, physically, financially, etc.).  Based on the next verse, however, if your wife were hindering you from following the Lord's calling, the Lord still has to come first.  She is to come alongside you.

If this is your mother and sister and they are not dependents, Luke 14:26 comes to mind: "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate [love/prioritize less] his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple."  If they are dependent, you would have to be concerned about taking care of their needs ~ spiritual, emotional, financial, etc., and would have God's blessing.  This is the honorable way to serve the Lord.

4. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

The bible is full of allegories, euphemisms, metaphors, parables, and exaggerations.
    The exaggerations are used to make an important point .

In Luke, Yahshua is not saying for us to hate our families. He is telling us to love and serve God.

Honoring our parents is one of the commandments

Exodus 20:12
    Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee

Commandments are given in the order of importance. The first commandment is the most important

I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

Yahshua (known as Jesus) made it clear and told us to Love God
    Matthew 22:37
    Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

5. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

What are you defining as commitment to the Lord? If that is prayer and some quiet study, or obedience to his commands, then I'd suggest that keeping Him in first place was quite straightforward. If you are defining commitment as Church activities such as attending on Sunday, missions, bible studies, etc then your family comes first and the Church things should fall by the wayside.
    Commitment to your family is an expression of worship and commitment to Him. He is big enough and grown up enough to understand the needs of your family on your tine and resources. God is not some spooky child demanding our affections.
    Be very wary of those who equate commitment to God as being commitment to fulfilling duties of the Church. That's a big fat lie.

6. orlansison profile image60
    orlansisonposted 12 years ago

I really appreciate the opinions and advices I read from you dear brothers and sisters.

Here is the situation, I am the only Christian in the family. It seems a battle field at home when they start to point something about religion. They keep on telling me that I shouldn't put my religious affiliation "Baptist" in my resume because if that is the case I shouldn't expect to be accepted by the employer.

By experience my mother have heard and witness some other fellows that were not employed because of the same reason.

I told them that if they are less in faith to the Lord then they really should expect what they are expecting to happen. I also told them that it was already twice that the Lord help me out during my tough time. So why they are so worries why shouldn't they believe?

For all of these things they think of me as different because I always show it on action how much I love the Lord.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)