I quit smoking Monday... On day 6... Is this normal?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

I quit smoking Monday... On day 6... Is this normal?

I'm just curious because I read from people have quit smoking that the symptoms pass in 72 hours. I am still really dizzy, out of breath, and feel like I'm on the verge of passing out. I keep having anxiety attacks as well. I haven't had them, this frequently, in over a year. I feel quit depressed as I can't manage to go anywhere or do anything. I feel like I am doped up or something. I'm also severely fatigued and weak. I can't concentrate on much of anything. I also keep getting hot and cold flashes. Are these symptoms normal? How long will I have them? What helps get rid of them?

2. JP993 profile image70
    JP993posted 12 years ago

Everything you say is normal. I've never smoked but my mum has and she has quit for 10 years in the past and reverted back and quit again. You need to stick with it, smoking isn't healthy, costs a fortune and isn't attractive.

You need to replace this with another habbit and routine. First 3 days are the hardest and you've got past that so well done!

smoking is phsycological and also produces chemical reactions inside your body, you need to change these. Get on youtube and watch some anxiety videos and ones to stop smoking to deal with this and flip it on its head and feel great. You can do it.

3. profile image0
    mikeq107posted 12 years ago

Basicly...when I  quit after many years of smoking my body went into shock or more to the point withdrawls...lets face it my body fed on nicotine for years...I was sick out of breath as fresh air was forigen to my lungs...to say how soon any individual will recover depends on how long you have been smoking and how many a day and the climate or invoirment you live in.....what i recomend is calling ask a nurse ffor free advice...chances are she will tell you your symptoms are normal...it took me about two weeks for the affects to leave my body...but it was well worth it...i would also look up quit smoking forums for encouragement and do not pay anyone for advice...hope that helps    Mike ;00) your in my prayers!!!!

4. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 12 years ago

I have never smoke but I think it is your body reaction of going through nicotine withdrawals. I would suggest that you start drinking a lot of herbal tea constantly to offset these symptoms. This should cure it for you. I am giving you this information through divine inspiration. Try this and if this works then humanity will have the answer to how to quit smoking. I am glad to be of service to you as you are going through this ordeal. You can and will quit smoking. Keep on keeping on.

5. mcrawford76 profile image88
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

In my opinion, not only are you suffering from nicotine withdrawls. But It's a good possbility that you're getting a little high from all the extra oxygen your body is getting.

6. Rob Winters profile image77
    Rob Wintersposted 12 years ago

Well done first of all. I stopped smoking about 8 years ago so i know how difficult it can be.Your symptoms seem a little extreme for just nicotine withdrawal and are probably more related to your general anxieties/panic symptoms which are being activated by your perception that your losing a crutch you've had.

When you feel really bad just try to remember to breathe (focus simply on your breath going in and out and how that feels - it may sound trivial to some but when you focus your attention absolutely on just the flow of your breath and the related movements (chest and abdomen) of breathing it stops you thinking about other things/stills your mind) - can be really helpful at difficult times and reminding yourself that these feelings will pass also helps. In the early days the intensity of you withdrawal symptoms should peak and dip across the course of the day rather than being constant - try to keep occupied.

With regard to smoking and withdrawal the first 3 weeks or so are the most difficult.To be honest all that happens with time is that you go longer and longer without thinking about smoking/feeling like a smoke rather than ever suddenly being over it but it is easier to do as you can build on your growing success the longer your off them. Allen Carr's 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking' is a great book my father quit and has stayed off cigarettes for over a decade after smoking 50-60 a day for 40 years after reading this book - i used the same book which also worked for me. Whether you lapse or not i suggest you get yourself a copy.

If things don't improve over the next couple of weeks you should maybe consider addressing your underlying anxiety issues.Hope things improve for you soon - Best of luck, don't give up - you've already taken the most important step -it will improve :-)

7. wendi_w profile image60
    wendi_wposted 12 years ago

When I quit It took quite a while to get over the physical aspects. The cravings are better after the first 72 true but it takes much longer for all the physical stuff to work out. I actually developed bronchitis after the last time,( you may want to check with your doctor if you continue to have breathing problems). I believe it took about 3 months before it was all gone. Common issues are fatigue, insomnia, cough, allergy problems, constipation and irritability.  it's a big change so give yourself time your body will eventually adjust. Drink lots of water and get some exercise Even a short walk does wonders

8. ktarcus profile image73
    ktarcusposted 12 years ago

I stopped after 40 years and the first 21 days were the worst I have ever felt and will remain in memory thankfully to deter me should I ever relapse. Keep at it girl you have nothing to worry about. try plenty of water and walking slowly. you could find yourself a nicotine buddy among your pals who no doubt some have given up as well.

9. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 12 years ago

Work out. Running is the best solution. It worked for me and I smoked a pack a day for almost 5 years.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)