Should creationism be taught in a science classroom?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. cooldad profile image62
    cooldadposted 12 years ago

Should creationism be taught in a science classroom?

What are your thoughts?  I'm leaning towards it being discussed as a "theory" in school curriculum.  Honestly, I'm not really sure how it's mentioned or taught currently in our schools.  Does anyone know?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5425520_f260.jpg

2. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Absolutely not!

There are many interpretations of the Bible, and likely all of them are wrong (including mine). Creationism is ignoring reality (science) and is thus a delusion.

Genesis really says humanity is 10,436,141 years old. And the six "days?" They happened in zero time. Like the classes in object oriented programming, they were the timeless templates (blueprints) of creation. God's "day of rest" gave them their perfection -- their time dimension.

Creationism might be taught in mythology 101.

3. amymarie_5 profile image66
    amymarie_5posted 12 years ago

If schools want to teach a subject called Religion with no biases towards different religions and cultures, I have no problem with it.  When I was in Catholic school, we actually did have a class on religion and that is exactly how it was.  We learned about Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc...  Considering it was a Catholic School I find it pretty interesting that they did teach us about other religions in such a non-biased way.  Anyhow, that should be the way it's done since there is no scientific proof to back up any religious teachings.

4. Kaitlyn Ulmer profile image60
    Kaitlyn Ulmerposted 12 years ago

I don't think it should be taught. However, what can I say about the curriculum at private schools where all of their lessons are imbued with religion? In a private school, if they insist on teaching creationism, they should be required to teach evolution alongside it. It would be unfortunate for children to come away from school without knowing the scientifically accepted theories for things. They can choose whether or not to reject them.

5. pearpandas profile image61
    pearpandasposted 12 years ago

No, I don't think this is appropriate.  Science is science and faith is faith.  There is not scientific proof for creationsim.  That doesn't mean it can't be true, but it does mean that it can't be proved scientifically!

6. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 12 years ago

NO! Creationism is not science. If you want to teach it at Bible camp then have at it. My kids will not be in attendence. I can't believe that people would want to force this nonsense on children and assume that everyone else believes it as they do. Most Christians can't even agree on an interpretation of the Bible. And they expect me to agree with them spitting pseduo-science to kids. As for the "multitudes of events chronicled in the Bible that have been scientifically proven," I would like examples.

Most schools won't even teach evolution, which is a workable scientific theory. Why in the hell would they teach Creationism? Let's teach Scientology 101 while we're at it and the kids can learn how to fight off Thetan spirits. Or perhaps we should instruct them in how to properly arrange a human sacrifice so that the sun will continue to shine. Also, this "Earth is round" thing is ridiculous. Let's go back to the flat model, which was quite popular when the Bible was written. So long as people like Stephen Hawking and Michio Kaku exist, I have no reason to ever listen to a sermon.

7. generalbrat profile image66
    generalbratposted 12 years ago

very well put into a simple explaination lone77star loved your theory sounds just about right but like you said "and likely all of them are wrong!"

8. profile image0
    Cromperposted 12 years ago

No. Simply because even science cannot study that which cannot be studied.
    Even if we were all creationists, creationism could not be taught in science lessons because there is nothing to observe and therefore nothing to discuss or calculate.

9. eapratte profile image60
    eapratteposted 12 years ago

I feel like creationism couldn't be the only "theory" taught alongside scientific theories of creation. Other theories from other philosophies and religions would need to be taught as well. And that's a whole lot of stuff to cover. For simplicity, I'd say no, it shouldn't.

10. ibbarkingmad profile image60
    ibbarkingmadposted 12 years ago

Intelligent design perhaps. Creationist tend to dictate what God did or did not do. I find that rather annoying considering the same people say God is all powerful etc. I think they are more interesting at telling God what he can and can't do. LOL.

11. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

No. Creationism is pure BS and can be proven as such in endless ways. There is no scientific reasoning behind it what-so-ever.

I have no problem with a class that teaches what religion is; but from a sociological standpoint and not presented as somehow a truth, and with no tilt toward any particular religion. It would also have to include all of the atheistic religions and atheism and agnosticism as well as Satanism and Humanism. If they aren't going to teach about all religions they all have to be left out

Schools aren't the place for teaching fantasies or faiths those belong in the homes and churches on their own time.

When I was in high school, in the early 70s, we had a class that was supposed to teach about religions. But the teacher was a Christian and he couldn't keep himself from trying to teach about the Bible. He was trying to be a preacher rather than a teacher, and I had to constantly call him on what he was trying to teach as "factual proven" information.
    This is the biggest hurtle to teaching anything about religions. Teachers tend to take this as a green light to teach whatever they believe as being more true or somehow more proven, at the very least to show one religion in a better light than the others.
    The fact is that no matter what one believes there are more people who believe something completely different than there are who agree with your viewpoint.

12. annabosler profile image60
    annaboslerposted 2 years ago

I don't think you should be disciplined. This is very personal and every child's family has its own opinion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)