Can anybody please convince me that "responsibility" is a true ethic/value?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. stanwshura profile image72
    stanwshuraposted 12 years ago

Can anybody please convince me that "responsibility" is a true ethic/value?

Seriously - I'm not so sure it's anything but the very human self-aggrandizing we do as we over-estimate our impact and "front" the "responsible adult" image and often the smugness that goes with it.

Further, I'd love to hear arguments that it didn't start from the testosterone-dripping primal instinct to "outdo" the other males in the species.  What about doing something not because "it's your duty", but because somebody needs your help, or that it's just the right thing to do out of fairness or compassion - not that stupid-ass "bootstraps" nonsense.

2. SerLeon profile image60
    SerLeonposted 12 years ago

Responsibility IS a true ethic . . . . . . If u folow ur religion . . . .

3. danielleantosz profile image76
    danielleantoszposted 12 years ago

Besides religion, responsibility is not a carte blanc obligation. (In my opinion)  Responsibility is doing what is right, not taking the easy way out.  To me responsibility is an ethical obligation dependent upon personal values, which also means that it is subjective.  For example, a person who believes that abortion is wrong may think they have a responsibility to protest in front of clinics that provide abortions. I don't agree with that, but if a friend says they are considering suicide I do consider it my responsibility to tell someone about it.  I do think supporting your family (financially and emotionally) is important.  Our need/feeling of responsibility to our families does come from a very primal instinct to see our genes passed on, but for me it also boils down to "you created it, you should take care of it".  I agree that responsibility is just doing the right thing out of a sense of fairness and compassion.

stanwshuraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ugh!  I'm torn between yours and a49eracct's as Best Answer!.......

4. stanwshura profile image72
    stanwshuraposted 12 years ago

SerLeon, it's hard for me to gauge your response.  Your use of text shorthand suggests (or at least gives me the impression) of a casual tone, a sort of mediocrity that feels like it's a "case closed" issue with you.  Just an impression.  Do you mean the responsibility to do the right thing, as best as you can figure it?  Then I totally agree with you.

Danielle, thank you, too, for responding.  Your closing sentence was a very reassuring close to your perspective.

I'm just trying to figure out, or argue against a little, I guess, that responsibility for it's own sake is NOT a virtue.  Like - you're SUPPOSED to take on more balls to juggle. 

Clean up your own mess?  Yeah - I get that.  Try your hardest before AND while asking for and hopefully getting some help?  Absolutely.  Being *expected* to solve the problem on your own and deal with it UNTIL IT IS FIXED - even if the solution never comes - and you're a less than or a nobody unless and until you can?  So you slave at a problem doggedly - alas into infiniti and way past a death that would thus mark a very wasted life?  No !@#$ way.  That's where, in my opinion, some people get it very, VERY wrong.

Not as a burden *expected* as we grow or age.  Not as a *punishment* for making an honest mistake.  No way.  But, as a value which suggests we should all do the very best we can, not just for ourselves and managing our own lives (financial, job, kids, property, living by a set of morals you REALLY believe in - in your gut, NOT at your convenience with a wink and a nod.  You damned well turn in that wallet - even when no one is looking - that kind of thing.  Pick up that whole-chicken-sized rock out of the middle of the street - even if it's the middle of the night and no one is there to applaud you for being simply decent.

Not as an expectation FROM society.  But as a member of it who does the best he can, and in return gets a fair shake.

5. Dennis AuBuchon profile image62
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 12 years ago

Taking responsibility for our actions and decisions is a true ethic value as it is an example of our character and what we feel is important as an individual.  In these times ethics is an important trait the existence of which seems to be reduced in these economic times.

Too often we see decisions made by individuals that affect others.  The ethic of these situations is lacking when such decisions have a bad impact.   Taking responsibility in terms of its ethic relationship involves making the right decions for the right reasons.  Responsibility is just one characteristic of having ethic values in our character.  Others include such things as honesty, truthfulness and trust.  All these combined with character determines who we are as individuals.

6. mattdigiulio profile image77
    mattdigiulioposted 11 years ago

I think this is a fantastic question, and I don't know if I can contribute anything really all that meaningful but I will try because it seems too interesting to pass up. As far as I define it, I think responsibility is a crucial value that comes from all human beings' need to survive. Responsibility plays an important role in staying alive in the wilderness and protecting oneself against the elements (and predators).
    I think the idea of responsibility in this society has been made into many things. It is no longer simply being consistent in taking care of onself and others. In many ways it has become a trait we brand ourselves with to go along with the "smugness". I agree with you on that point too.
    Matt

7. a49eracct profile image60
    a49eracctposted 11 years ago

It is a value, possibly a moral- on the same plane as a virtue called patience. However, it is something that has to be taught to us. It is not our nature to be responsible- our nature is to be selfish. Patience is something we learn as well.
    Responsibility, after it is learned, is a choice. If we are responsible we have a better life- things are in order and taken care of. Responsibility's brother is self control. You have to be willing to put in some work (responsibility) to get the reward. And to put in the work, you have to control the desire to do other things first.
    As you can see, responsibility entails many other values, morals, and ethics- but it's what we do with our actions that let us know what we "use" it for.

stanwshuraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thx 4 a reasoned & thgt+ answer.  My ? lingers as I bel've () doing the right thing is a fnct'n of cmpassn, fairnss, and owning 1s mistakes.  I wrk w/ sevrly&m'tply d'abled chd'rn for whom my ptnce is ∞.  I b'lve r bst slvs +by empathy &

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)