Is music an important consideration for you when choosing a church home?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. slaffery profile image59
    slafferyposted 12 years ago

Is music an important consideration for you  when choosing a church home?

Does it make a difference what type of music is being played during your church service in terms of contemporary christian versus the older hymms?

2. drdspervez profile image70
    drdspervezposted 12 years ago

Yes ! Music has its own language and it gives a mental peace.

DR.DURRESHAHWAR PERVEZ

3. whoisbid profile image62
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Some people could sing hymns because it is cheaper to do that and I think it is free. The contemporary music industry forces people to buy licenses to sing their music. It is now a multi-billion dollar industry.

4. Lady Summerset profile image73
    Lady Summersetposted 12 years ago

Yes it does!  It is an indicator, a deeper look into the personality and character of the leadership of the Church.

5. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Music and the kind of music might have an effect on my choice but first and foremost is whether or not the scriptures of God are being adhered to or not.

6. shea duane profile image60
    shea duaneposted 12 years ago

I once left a church with an incredible music director and choir because the new pastor was so nasty. I joined a church with an awful music program... but the experience wasn't as spiritual without the sounds of God's music...

7. slaffery profile image59
    slafferyposted 12 years ago

I believe it does make huge difference.  I ended up writing a hub about it as I wanted to explore the subject more.  All the reasons it matters to me have been addressed in the answers to this

8. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

for me, yes, it is a consideration. Yes, what type of music being played is a consideration too. I go for a combo of both the examples you shared, but I toss in rock-n-roll, country, etc too , , ,I'm a U2 fan, I like Michael Talbot, I have an interest in the influence of gospel on the blues greats - Muddy Waters, Robert Vaughn, BB King, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and more , , ,but that's an interest. I have attended churches in the south and California. I attended a church where they only believed in A Capella. Today, my 'church' is my garden and I love the sound of the songbirds while watering the plants.

9. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 12 years ago

For me, the music is as important as the integrity of the Scripture.  I was raised in an organ-playing church, but as an adult, I enjoy rock-based music with a message.  I also enjoy a variety of instruments, especially on special holidays.

10. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 12 years ago

I think the type of music matters.  However, please don't expect to like every song or every singer.  There may be times (hopefully not too often) when a selection doesn't make you happy.  At such times, focus on the blessing from another source other than the music.

11. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 12 years ago

I think it matters only if: 1. The church is militant about NOT allowing any variance, just because that shows the static character of the church; and 2. If they do "whatever" and don't worry about the quality. Not that church music should be concert-worthy performances; but musicians who can't stay together, people who sing/play off-key, and other things are distracting and make everyone, from the platform to the last pew, uncomfortable. Sometimes the Word should make us uncomfortable; bad music should not. If a church sings hymns well, great. If they do contemporary music well, great. Whatever it is, do it "as unto the Lord" to the best of your ability.

12. cjcarter profile image73
    cjcarterposted 12 years ago

I think that if a certain kind of music speaks to you and helps you have a more meaningful church experience then it is important. If you don't feel you are being ministered to, then you could suggest playing some of the music that speaks to you some of the time.

13. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

Yes, it does.

Often, I have been as muched moved or stirred by the music as by the sermon.

It does not matter, to this forum, which style that I perfer........but, have you ever tried to dance to music that you do not like?

There is no room for  pretending.  Either it fits, or it does not, and one should keep shopping.

Each person, should do likewise.  What I like and respond to, may not fit another.   They should seek a more fitting style.

14. ModernDisneyGirl profile image59
    ModernDisneyGirlposted 12 years ago

Music is a very important thing when I am attempting to deciding on a place of worship. It is a big decision because for me song is the most important part of worship. It is my chance to raise my voice in praise to a higher power. It's my chance to really let loose and express my joy in being granted life.

That said, I am not picky as to the denomination of the church I go to. The type of music doesn't really matter either as long as it's joyful. Dirge like services that push the wraith of gods rather than their love hold no interest for me.

So a joyful thankful selection of song is going to appeal to my senses when I select a church home. But more important than the music, in any choice you make is the community. A church can have fantastic music, and still be heartless. Remember that if you join a new congregation you can always offer your services to the church now and again if music is something that you feel drawn to. I'm sure they would appreciate your offer.

15. randomcreative profile image87
    randomcreativeposted 12 years ago

For me it definitely does.  I know that this is not true for everyone.  I like a variety of hymns as well as interesting musical arrangements.

16. cejae profile image60
    cejaeposted 12 years ago

For me it is very important.  I go to church to worship and if the music is too loud or does not call me to worship then it is a distraction from worship  and I will look for a church where the music calls me to worship.  Worship is a very private activity even when it is joined in corporate worship in a church setting. 

Some contemporary Christian music is wonderful and very worshipful.  Some feel like I am just in a loud rock concert - I find myself worrying about loss of hearing from the loudness of the music.  I do believe there is a place for this music in today's society for many people really react to this music and it fills them up.  When you add the worship words, they can truly worship with this music.  Usually I find it hard.

But all that said, there is more to a church service than the music the felling of welcome from the congregation, the educational programs and the pastor's sermons are all important too.   .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)