Is there anything important enough to go to war over?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. GoGreenTips profile image61
    GoGreenTipsposted 12 years ago

Is there anything important enough to go to war over?

2. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

many things. a country tries to take over your country is one of them.

3. Zainnisar profile image42
    Zainnisarposted 12 years ago

His own survival would be the last reason even for the most the compromised and peaceful person.

4. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

Someone tying to hurt my family, but how far out I can project that depends on how the threat is perceived, go to war for oil, nah, we can beat that threat with technology and the only losers will be the oil industry.

Training terrorist in some other country, set up better border defence and shoot any terrorist on sight, no war there for me.

But come at my family and I will go to war against anybody, terrorist, robber or government.

5. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

War is ugly and brutal and in the end most of the time, there are no winners.
    However, to sit by and watch while masses of human beings are slaughtered or treated as badly as many are throughout the world is as bad, in my mind, as actually participating in the atrocity.
    in that case, if meeting and 'discussing' and hashing and rehashing, and the abuse still continues then, yes,  i would say a 'war' should occur.
    a war can take many forms and often ends in more loss of life.
    if we could just 'all get along', how nice that would be...not simplistic thinking or wishing...just wondering why some are cruel  this reminds me of a question recently about whether 'good and bad' is a matter of perspective...and again my response is no....bad is bad when it involves hurting someone emotionally or physically...sorry i got off track a bit...

6. NiaLee profile image61
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

NO, if somebody is attacking you and you defend yourself ok...problem is nowadays we are bullies and go destroy other people's country...then we don't realize that supremacy never last forever for anybody! Things are very complicated because of all the former conflict of the past and all the resources that some countries try to take from any country weaker than them!!!
    All this is about money, power and resources (oil, gold, diamond, gas, etc...)

7. Smokes Angel profile image59
    Smokes Angelposted 12 years ago

Pretty simple... Hitler was worth going to war over and the concentrations camps... if another country invaded us we should definitely fight back etc

8. RVDaniels profile image65
    RVDanielsposted 12 years ago

Think about it. If you are attacked you will, and should defend yourself or your nation. The other things people fight over are not worth fighting over. Not politics and not religion. God will Never ask you to hurt someone else and no politician is worthy of it either.

9. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

Yes, I do think that there are.

But not every minor slight or insult is worthy.

An invasion, an attack on your country, your home, your neighborhood, your community is worth " fighting" for, be it meaning defensive action or retaliation.

Your own immediate family should be worth these things to you.

So should your normal , peaceful functioning society..............

so should the streets of LA,  LaRaedo, or El Paso.

Really, if you are not going to demand peace in your own country and streets..............what value  do  you offer to society?   Sheltering those who have been maimed?  Burying the slaughtered?

I would perfer that you first PROTECT me!

10. GNelson profile image60
    GNelsonposted 12 years ago

There is but most wars are fought for someone other than the soldier to profit from.

11. Aley Martin profile image66
    Aley Martinposted 12 years ago

simple answer: no. Never. We need to move away the "War mentality" in thought, word and deed.

12. tswilson profile image60
    tswilsonposted 12 years ago

There are things important enough to go to war over. The killing of millions of innocent people like what happened during the Holocaust is justification for war. It is true though that in many other instances, wars have not been justified.

13. Laura in Denver profile image72
    Laura in Denverposted 12 years ago

Only if the country at war, overseas, (as the USA has done constantly, without results) with some contracts a way to pay back for their allies terrible loss of life and money. Or concedes to be taken over.

Let these idiotic countries fight it out on their own, otherwise, IMHO, they need to find their own effective leaders. Some brains and diplomacy FROM THAT COUNTRY must be involved!

The USA had no easy job to set up a government apart from Britain in the 1700's.

The USA need not support idiotic countries overseas, with the exception of our friendliest neighbors and negotiated terms.

Let these mid-east countries blow themselves up as desired, except friend Israel, who IMHO needs diplomapic services from USA.

Average citizen can make a difference by getting rid of this fossill fuel dependence.

14. Ian Dabasori Hetr profile image76
    Ian Dabasori Hetrposted 12 years ago

The answer may vary from person to person and from country to country but one thing that seems to be common is religion. Many wars in history started because of religion. Ok, Some will say power and dominion. fair enough. But in today's world, religion is just as important as anything to go to war for.

15. DanielNeff profile image60
    DanielNeffposted 12 years ago

Without discussing the current situations, I will give WWII as proof that there are some things worth going to war over. It would be morally reprehensible to continue to sit by and watch Hitler slaughter people because of their faith and pound the people of England into submission.
    There are evil people in this world, and there is only one way to deal with them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)