In regard to reading poetry, what method do you use to critique a poem?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. ytsenoh profile image60
    ytsenohposted 12 years ago

In regard to reading poetry, what method do you use to critique a poem?

Do you look for the poetic elements?  Do you look for a literal meaning?  Do you judge it according to its story?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Depending upon the type and subject matter of the poem, I might look for any of the these things:  creative use of imagery; clever alliteration (but not overdone); coherent flow; and so forth.
    I don't necessarily look for rhymed verses, but I do look for "the point."  Does the poem tell a story, or simply paint a picture with words?  Is the meaning understandable, or is it a guessing game?
    Poetry, in my opinion, is something you either like or you do not.  If you like poetry in general, you may still find individual poems you dislike.  That is no more than a matter of personal preference.  Not everyone likes the same things.
    I do not feel that poetry can be very fairly "judged" by anyone unless they have the opportunity to interview the author.
    I always hated it in school when the teacher would ask, "What did the author mean?"  It was all I could do to keep from yelling out, "How in blazes do I know what the author meant?  I'm not inside their head!"
    Poetry in many cases is a very personal expression--as such, it should not be subject to judgemental opinions.  You either liked the person's poem, or you did not. And in the latter case, I feel it is better to heed Mother's old tip of, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all."

3. CrystalSingleton profile image59
    CrystalSingletonposted 12 years ago

When I read a poem it doesnt necessarily have to relate to me. I look for a sense of rhythm not necessarily rhyme. What I like to do is feel the emotion of the writer. Can I feel the passion of the author or the main character? To me a poem doesn't always have to make sense. I think that is what writing is all about. Poetry especially a form of art, a form of expression, abstract or warm, or perhaps even a cold poem that takes you to a dark place, if I can not really feel the passion or it's very calculated I may not find it interesting. The object is to pull the reader in and bring them on your journey. Some will say there is no bad art, but it is in the eye of the beholder. Translations could be loose. For me its all about the passion, the detail, and the rhythm.

4. GoodLady profile image91
    GoodLadyposted 12 years ago

I don't have a method.
    It moves me emotionally if I feel it's good. (satisfying, true, intimate, complete)
    It moves me intellectually if I feel how good it is structurally. (it's sound, it's onomatopoeia, it's music).
    If poems don't 'move' me one way or the other, I might consider them clever but not identify with their intent.
    I'm not a poetry critic though.

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I approach every poem approached differently. Free Verse is the only style of poem that has no set form at all. Thus it is necessary to follow form when I write any other poem. But the quality of the poem is so much more than sticking to form. All aspects are important

6. profile image0
    studenttoteacherposted 12 years ago

DzyMsLizzy - Thats unfortunate thats the way your teachers taught poetry.   Trying to figure out the meaning or intent of the author is known as "Intentional Fallacy".   As soon as a poem is published or shared it no longer belongs to the poet alone and each reader can interpret what they see in it as long as they can support their opinion with textual evidence.   Many times, especially with poetry, the author is trying to bring subconscious feeling/emotion to the surface and in doing so may put meaning in the text that they are unaware of.   That doesn't imply the meaning isn't there.

7. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

The poem has to tell a story. No matter the form or style the flow has be good, not choppy. Even nonsense poetry should have some meaning.

8. fernando d. profile image61
    fernando d.posted 12 years ago

All of the above,and most important the readdom. when you read it, recite,sing it. It floats like a song,but with out an instrument . It sings on it own.Thats Poetry! And you must not forget to leave your audience wanting more,just like good writer would.the pages is your stage. A Poet is the Poem.

9. Michael Ray King profile image70
    Michael Ray Kingposted 12 years ago

As many of the other answers here say, I do not have a big hangup with form. In fact, on the whole, form poems often read forced and do not move me as a reader. That said, I've read some form poems that knocked me for a loop. The writing is what I look at. I look at articles (the, a, etc). Usually they tell me the poem will be a bit on the amateur side. I look at word choice. If there is a meter to the poem, hiccups stick out.

Descriptive language rather than bland. Words like "walk, talk, run, watch, look" can be pumped up to give a more evocative feel to a poem. Of course, there may be times these words must be used, but they typically should be used sparingly, at least for my enjoyment.

Each poem has a life of its own. I've written a number of poems built solely with one syllable words. This would be an illustration of the exception to words I don't care to see much in poem from the paragraph above. Since each poem has a life of its own, I critique each poem based on the flavor I taste from each one.

10. sun of zym profile image61
    sun of zymposted 12 years ago

Most of the stories that I have written have been written in poetic verses using words that are "alternative" in their meaning and in most cases should have left the readers scratching their heads as to what I'm trying to say.  I try to put a certain meter according to the words I choose and though some of the choices may be incorrect I think it's part of the beauty of the mystery and leave it up to the reader as to what direction the read to going; therefore, I think that poetry is personal based intensified by the meat of its meaning, glorified by the heart of the writing, if that makes any sense...
    though, none of my stories have been finished, therefore a point never having been reached, it would be easy to NOT understand what I am writing about...but, I look to content, the ability to use odd-metering, and alternative word using....whoosh, and he's gone....

11. Diana Lee profile image74
    Diana Leeposted 12 years ago

No matter what the form used, I believe a poem should have some kind of meaning. Some can be simple to understand while others make you think. Some have a certain rhythm about them and rhyme or not, are more meaningful to the reader looking for entertainment.

12. profile image0
    Gelbeeposted 12 years ago

I do look for the poetic element's..whether it be rhythm and rhyme scheme, syllable count if written in format..and I also try to discern whether or not it's a metaphore...I  too piece of poetry should tell a story of some sort..not just a bunch of mish mash that make's absolutely no sense...but I am a mod on a poetry board, so I always try to accentuate the good in a person's work before giving any kind of mild critique....if any at all....there are a lot of different variable's by which a poem can be critiqued...I try never to judge...as it's each to his own when it come's to matter's of the heart or life experinece's...etc.,

13. muhaiminabd profile image61
    muhaiminabdposted 12 years ago

reply it with a rebuttal poem while upholding the element of decency

14. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 12 years ago

This is an easy question regarding poetry, as no matter what the element or degree the "rhyme & chime" of the poem falls under, the overall "feel and flow" is what makes for good poetry, regardless of the critical technicalities some people may analyze without understanding the actual poem at hand.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)