Stealing to Feed Family Equal in Consequence to Stealing for Greed?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Peter Leeper profile image60
    Peter Leeperposted 12 years ago

Stealing to Feed Family Equal in Consequence to Stealing for Greed?

If one steals something in order to feed their family should it hold the same consequences is stealing does for those who do it out of greed?

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

There are many other avenues to feed the family other than stealing. If you use that argument, then the person will have to gauge how much is enough to steal to feed his family.

Stealing for greed is inexcusable in any context..but who determines "need" versus "greed" ? One man may be happy with little, another may not. Thus to one man, it may be "need",while others look at it as simply "greed"

3. chaturrajneesh profile image70
    chaturrajneeshposted 12 years ago

In life there is nothing absolute good or absolute  bad. Its always shades of grey and  hence its not the action but the motive which plays the role in deciding the consequences of a deed. That do not give one freedom to justify every thing, but one, from the core of his heart, after listening to his conscience should decide to opt for the most ethical step.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

No matter how you look at it, stealing is stealing. The consequences is up to God.

5. DrMikeFitz profile image60
    DrMikeFitzposted 12 years ago

do motives change actions? probably not in a court of law. society will have its own sets of predetermined values. in america we dress in black and are sad with tears and somber at a funeral-in central america there is a party, colorful dress, music in celebration for them spending time with us on their journey. both parties likely believe in "the after life" of some sort, but have polar opposites of the same thing. while in you questions case, stealing may be a short term solution for a temporary situation, long term and habitually it is a dead end road that leads to the same predictable place. in the end, it may take work to "find the form", but everything is equally balanced instantaneously, seeing the form is the trick of life to maintain our own balance.

6. Marturion profile image60
    Marturionposted 12 years ago

It's a slippery moral slope for this one.  It begs the question, are you stealing for your family because it is the only means, or simply the easiest?  Even greedy people take care of their families, but it doesn't make it right.  As for me, I know that there is absolutely nothing I wouldn't do for my family.  I've waited and bussed tables on the side to make extra money, I've sucked up my pride and borrowed from people I trust when the time came for it, and I've engaged in a little backroom bartering for necessities.  I'm not saying that times are always tough for us.  We've had plenty of times when we were doing well enough to be the ones helping out others. 
      So far, I've been fortunate to find ways to support my family in tough times honestly.  Would I steal if that were the only way?  Absolutely.  Would it be right to do so?  probably not, and that is a moral dilemma I would have to face for myself.

7. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 12 years ago

Stealing is always wrong, but although people judge actions, God judges intentions.  The worst consequences are self-inflicted.

8. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 12 years ago

any person can forgive a person who steal for food. may give the person food and still seek justice but for greed. only justice

9. KrystalD profile image68
    KrystalDposted 12 years ago

Not at all. Motives matters. If someone steal to feed themselves or their families the motives are good versus for greed which is negative.

10. feenix profile image56
    feenixposted 12 years ago

Yes, stealing to feed one's self and/or one's family should have the exact same harsh consequences as stealing for greed.

In fact, for quite a number of years, I have been working as a volunteer to assist homeless men. And one thing that I have learned is the following:

A considerable number of the filthy and unkempt homeless individuals who can be seen in the streets all over the country are in such bad shape because they cannot bring themselves to commit crimes to get by.

11. Peter Leeper profile image60
    Peter Leeperposted 12 years ago

For me it isn't a simple answer.  I too would do anything for my family to make sure they are able to get by.  I do think intentions matter and that steeling bread to feed your family should be weighted lighter than stealing jewelry to pay for vacations.  However, where I am torn is that although steeling out of true nessesity could be condoned, the party stolen from is still "harmed" despite the intentions.  I hope to never be in the cirumstance where I have to make a decision to do something illegal to keep my family afloat.

12. Samson117 profile image60
    Samson117posted 12 years ago

in the eyes of the law then yes the consequences should be the same. the law doesn't recognize the difference between stealing pills to sell for cash and stealing pills so grandma's heart doesn't stop. for those of you who have seen the movie "John Q" with Denzel Washington, is what he did wrong? He held an entire hospital hostage so his son could survive. He had exhausted every other possibility. "Right" and "Wrong" are all open to interpretation.

13. CathyF profile image58
    CathyFposted 7 years ago

In the US, legally, no--the consequences are not equal. The person stealing for greed tends to already have money for their defense and ends up with a comparatively lighter sentence while the poor person faces a comparatively higher one. Even if the person who stole to feed their family doesn't serve prison time, the time spent in court can cause them to lose whatever job they already have, thus driving the family further into poverty.

A simple "slap on the wrist" can still mean 5 to 10 court appearances if it happens in the wrong court district, if not time spent in jail waiting to be formally charged, which can take months!

And after these two individuals have been freed from their crime (dismissed, time served, etc), the rich person can often go back into his society without a problem, while the poor person is often labeled a thief whenever it comes up during a job interview, even 20 years later.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)