As a parent, where do you draw the line and tell your child to fight in school?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. SWAGHOUSE profile image59
    SWAGHOUSEposted 12 years ago

As a parent, where do you draw the line and tell your child to fight in school?

A child tells the teacher about the physical abuse but is dismissed and the abusing child continues due to no consequence. The parent approaches the principle about the situation but the teacher explains that they are unaware or the reason is the bully is unknown and again nothing is done. As a parent, one begins to feel frustrated because one can not protect their child while in school due to state law about parents in the classroom.

2. kittythedreamer profile image74
    kittythedreamerposted 12 years ago

It depends on the type of abuse, I would say. In high school I was verbally abused and it sucked...but I never lashed out physically at anyone because there was no point in getting myself in trouble. As for physical abuse, if it is constant, then I would probably say it's okay for your child to defend his/herself. If he/she feels physically threatened...I don't see any problem with acting out of self defense.

3. Anne Pettit profile image63
    Anne Pettitposted 12 years ago

I have heard of bullied kids filing assault charges with the police if the school won't do anything.  It's better than a physical fight.

4. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

I would tell my kids, if someone hits you, hit them back but dont ever hit anyone unless they hit you first.

5. profile image52
    drewsmom12posted 12 years ago

I have always taught my children not to hit unless they were being hit, however when the school does nothing about bullying, and the child is continuously harassed there comes a breaking point and I know this because My son was bullied from Kindergarten until the 4th grade from one student, I did everything, I drove him to school daily I talked to the school administrators and all I got was that no actions were taken so they had no proof so the last day of school my son wanted to ride the bus home so I allowed it .. This kid decided to start right away bullying my child well that was it my son hauled off and punched him in the mouth and of course the school called I simply said you have caused this I have asked on repeated occasions. They tried to say that in the beginning of the following year that my son would have to have disciplinary action brought against him ... We fought it and won. But I do not agree with fighting but if you are continuously asking for something to be done and nothing does  and the child continues to harass your child then he has to stand up for himself.

6. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Physical, Emotional, Verbal, "Defence" is always best. One has the right to defend onself equal to the attack of their attacker.

7. SWAGHOUSE profile image59
    SWAGHOUSEposted 12 years ago

I thought self defense would be enough however, the school suspends both children regardless who initiated the fight. I thought having a paper trail would provide as an visual defense but the system requires too much time and the child loses before any response from the higher administration. I do believe calling the police and establishing a paper trail outside as well as inside the school district may attract enough attention to end future attacks or at least shine light on this very serious issue.

8. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

What a HARD question!!!

Where to teach our children to draw the line.........

Under what circumstances, should they do so?

What if their " line" is different from my own?

WOW...........so many things to consider, debate, and teach.

In the end, I will tell my daughter ( I have 3 )...........

When you have no more to give, no more understanding, no more compassion, no more excuses for the other person's behavior

When you are under physical threat,

When you just have that " gut " feeling of standing up NOW, or forever bowing down.....

When you just HAVE to stand face to face with those who intimidate you.......

When you KNOW that you are just, and the other person is an agressor

When you know that THIS moment will follow you for a lifetime..........

Protect all others, but never fail to protect your own sweet self.

Under NO circumstances, would I scold my child for defending her person, or her sister's.

9. Handicapped Chef profile image68
    Handicapped Chefposted 12 years ago

I think as a parent you have to teach your children how to protect themselves from any form of abuse, but sometimes a child can not handle the pressure of all the abuse that the people in this world bring to others ....But leaving a paper trail by reporting it to the proper people that can help stop this abuse is a good, like the police, school officals even bringing a lawyer to help get thing done, because no one should have to deal with any type of abuse, people who abuse are people who have been abused themselves or are just cowards, but I believe it should be stopped as soon as it happens.

10. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 11 years ago

In Florida there is a rule that it doesn't matter who starts the fight ALL PARTIES WILL BE EXPELLED. Which is a dumb rule especially if one has to defend himself. So I told my kids NEVER-EVER start a fight, however, if they become engaged in one through no fault of their own - to go down swinging and take whoever out because they were gonna be in trouble anyway. Fortunately my kids never had to do that and I'm proud of them for that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)