What is the worst house guest experience you have ever had?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

What is the worst house guest experience you have ever had?

Someone asked a house guest question and it made me start remembering.  My worst was a hunting buddy of my husband's. He came up for hunting season and he got a horrible cold while he was there.  THIS IS GROSS SO BEWARE - he took a glass from the kitchen and spit his green "mucus" into the glass by the bedside.  AND - left it there for me to clean up when he went home.  CLOSED MY EYES AND THREW OUT THE GLASS ETC. I get gaggy remembering this.

2. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 12 years ago

One of my buddies stayed at home since he was too drunk.  He threw up in my clothes cabinet because he thought it was the comfort room.  Worse, he peed into the cabinet insisting it was the toilet.

3. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 12 years ago

OMG and I thought my guest deciding on their own to visit for a month was bad. Those stories you guys told (duffsmom and jpcmc) are disgusting.

4. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 12 years ago

1993 a relative very close to me ...showed up at my door on a Saturday morning.  Her husband had just died a very sudden tragic death a few hours before.  She had her two cats with her.  The only accomodations we had in our small house was a couch that pulled out into a bed in the living room. 

She stayed about five days, but it was the worst five days ever.  None of us slept, all we could do was cry.  It was extremely difficult because, at that time, I did not know how to handle this type of situation.  I said and did all the wrong things.  My suggestions and opinions were a disaster.  I thought I knew it all.  I didn't.  We had horrible fights and blow-ups because of it. 

If I had it to do over, I would not make the mistakes I made almost 20 years ago.  During her stay I remember sitting at my typewriter trying to complete an assignment that was due for a course I was taking at a community college.  I was sobbing so hard I could not type.  One of her cats, "Happy"  came running into the room, meowed loudly at me, and jumped on my lap, purring, to comfort me.  I have never forgotten the impact that animal had on me during that time.

Our relative stayed with us until after the memorial service, then moved into a new apartment that our family found for her. 

I learned so much about what NOT to do when someone dies suddenly, and this awful "guest" experience was used by God as a LIGHT to show me how to behave better if and when a tragic circumstance should ever happen again. 

My relative is doing fine now, and, to this day we remain extremely close.  We are soul mates.   I thank God for that.

5. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

Have visitors every Australian summer as it is winter in Europe so family and friends like to 'fly to warm countries' for two months or three...have guests of all aged groups, interests and temperaments...so far no trouble...it is good exercise for me and my kids to learn to share and accomodate other people's needs for a while:)...although they are pretty paranoid of our various bugs and insects, so often in the middle of the night they wake us up with screaming and we have to go and save them from 'daddy long leg spider'....

6. DIYmyOmy profile image69
    DIYmyOmyposted 12 years ago

The Thing That Would Not Leave--the name says it all! No amount of hinting worked, I finally had to say, "You have to go now." This was supposed to be a weekend visit from a college buddy of my husband's that lasted for 3 weeks because he didn't want to go home and face his wife. She told him she wanted a divorce *because he never communicated with her.*

7. Lenzy profile image61
    Lenzyposted 12 years ago

My worst house guest experience was my own. My husband and I were young newlyweds.  We joined a program in seminary called Equippers in California and were placed in a house-sitting situation.  We had always wanted a parrot so decided to buy one and keep it on a stand in their house.  We were busy with our program so kept the house in pretty poor shape with the intent to clean it up the last week of our stay.  The owners arrived home early and unannounced.  The parrot had "beaked" their new dresser and the house looked like a disaster. The program director called us and said that the owners had graciously offered to go out to dinner so we would have a chance to clean up the mess. Talk about embarrassing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)