Do you think women should be allowed or are fit to become preachers/ministers?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (31 posts)
  1. stayingalivemoma profile image83
    stayingalivemomaposted 12 years ago

Do you think women should be allowed or are fit to become preachers/ministers?

This has been a sore subject in my family.(I think they should). Some people believe that women do not have a place in religion as a minister or preacher. In the Holy Bible, it talks about women being seen and not heard in church. Some believe that since the Holy Bible was written by men, that it a matter of opinion of male dominance over women or women not being equal to men during that time era.  Even in other religions, female spirtual leaders are unheard of. What do you think? Has the Bible been misinterpreted in its message or are women truly the lesser and not fit to preach the Good Word

2. justateacher profile image84
    justateacherposted 12 years ago

I think that women are highly qualified to be ministers/preachers. I think they have the compassion to make them great. But, I think that it breaks tradition for women to preach. I personally would rather listen to a man, and I know that I am being sexist about it. This is just my personal opinion. I do think women should have the chance to preach, because I am sure that a majority of people do not feel the same as me....

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image58
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

I think it is a sore spot in the discussions in a great many families.  I heard once and I love this quote "God doesn't necessarily call the qualified, he calls the willing.   Therefore, whether male, female, black, white, spotted or striped....if you are willing God will make way for your talents and that includes pastoring, ministering, preaching and all that it entails.

4. YvetteParker profile image61
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

Absolute yes women are fit and should be allowed to preach/minister. There are examples throughout the Bible of God using and gifting women for the ministry.  God can and does use both genders (including children). The key is to be willing to be used by God for His name sake. However, when it comes to women pastoring(shepherding), I think that goes against God's order. He is such a meticulous God of order. He purposefully created Adam first, giving him dominion before making Eve, his wife as his helper. I believe He deisres this same order to be followed in the church. I experienced firsthand in my marriage how destructive our paths can become when we reverse God's order.

5. Kdjackson11 profile image61
    Kdjackson11posted 12 years ago

I believe women should be allowed and are qualified to become preachers. I personally know several women preachers that I believe God has called to spread the gospel.

6. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

To not allow women to be ministers is blatant discrimination.  I have no sympathy for unsupported viewpoints that do not belong in the 21st century.

7. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

Why not? What makes a man more qualified than a woman to be a preacher or to minister? My sister in law is a Methodist minister and she's quit capable.

8. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

It just does not matter what I think.............

What does the  Holy Guide say?.......teach, reccomend............

It most certainly, does not say, ask, onegoodwoman............that thing is NOT written.

9. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

No. The bible teaches a woman has no place as a leader or teacher. Her value is of a different kind. To nurture her family. Call me old fashion but once a woman is married, she has no place having a "job" because being a mother and wife is her job. I'm not trying to say women belong barefoot and in the kitchen, but God did not design us to be leaders. He, after all, designed us from a MAN to belong and take care of men. There is nothing wrong with a woman and her friends, or a few friends speaking about the Word but its not a women's place to lead a church, or anything for that matter. We were designed to be of just value to a man, but with different purpose.

10. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

I personally believe that Women are equal to Men as Human Beings, although Women should not be able to become World Leaders or Preachers of God.

For the simple reason Woman has been Easily Decieved once before, this is not to say Men havn't been Decieved either.

If you preach from the Bible you are being Decieved, the Bible is a misinterpretation of the real truth.

All Human Beings need to wake up and realize this truth, we have "ALL" been Decieved since the begining of time.

1. profile image55
      I AM the TRUTHposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You still sleeping adam.

11. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

By nature, women are nurturers and have more of a role in shaping the beliefs of their children than most men will admit.  Thousands of years ago, women WERE the spiritual leaders, and in some societies, still are.  In such societies, there is less war making and its citizens are more compassionate toward and tolerant of others who are "different".  So, yes, women are quite qualified to be preachers/ministers and should be allowed to follow that calling is they choose to do so (or are chosen).

In the bible previous to the King James version, men and women were equals.  The men assigned to revise the bible during his reign saw an opportunity to inject their desire for male dominance, and re-wrote it to make women second-class citizens, submissive to men.  Had King James (who was openly gay but a champion of the equality of women) not been so busy entertaining boy toys, he would've rejected those passages.  As it was, he simply gave his blanket approval to the final version without reading it, and it's been touted as the "word of God" ever since.  It is NOT.

12. msviolets profile image81
    msvioletsposted 12 years ago

There was a time when women were not allowed to learn.  They weren't voting, or working for much pay (there have always been working women, in some capacity) 
    I don't think that the Bible supports that attitude.  Esther saved her people through faith and courage.
    However, women do make good scholars.  Women are wise, and critical thinkers.  Some are more suited to the call than others, I'm sure, but they can be just as qualified as any man (more qualified than some)  The only real advantage a man might have is that men's voices naturally carry farther...and that seems like a petty one.

13. IJR112 profile image59
    IJR112posted 12 years ago

Yes, I do.  Why wouldn't they be?  They are just as capable as men.

14. Ana Teixeira profile image61
    Ana Teixeiraposted 12 years ago

can a woman have faith? Of course.. so .. with this simple answer, my point here is made!

15. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

We've had female ministers in Scotland and the UK in general for a number of years and on the whole they are great - very tolerant, loving and supportive of their congregations and popular.

Only silly wee men and even sillier women would believe that god would have a fit if women were to preach! The creator made everyone, including non-Christians, and as you mentioned about the female spiritual leaders from other beliefs systems, it kind of proves that the creator/god doesn't have a problem at all with women being equal to men. It's hard to believe that in the 21st century there are still these intolerant and sterile beliefs going on.

16. stayingalivemoma profile image83
    stayingalivemomaposted 12 years ago

Thanks Seeker7!! and everyone else who has commented so far! I am really seeing some surprising answers!! I can't wait to see hubs on this when the contest starts! Wow!

17. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 12 years ago

If a particular church allows women ministers, then I'm sure there will be women to answer the call.  I don't think the status of women is dependent on whether they can preach or not.

18. PK2010 profile image65
    PK2010posted 12 years ago

A woman is as much a person as a man is and is therefore capable and entitled to the same opportunities that a man is. The bible may have been written by men, but it certainly does not preach inequality. It rather defines the roles of both man and woman as per the olden days. Society has evolved since then and along it the roles of men and women as well as their expectations. We have to take the lessons and teachings that the bible offers for the betterment of the society we are living in today and not focus on who is allowed to do what or can do what better because that is not the message that God wants us to be fed with through his word. The word of God preaches love for all mankind and the knowledge that we are all equal in the eyes of God. The male dominated society has and continues to dictate the pace at which the woman can grow, become independent and break all barriers. Its a steep mountain women are climbing. In areas like politics, media and business, women are making remarkable breakthroughs. There is a time for everything, so watch this space, I am sure there will be a time, maybe not in our life time where women will have as equal an opportunity as men to become spiritual leaders.

19. Alexander Mark profile image79
    Alexander Markposted 12 years ago

1 Timothy 2:12 is pretty clear on the subject, a woman should not teach or have authority over "the man". That being said, I do not believe that women are lesser, it's just that each sex has certain roles to fulfill, and it isn't proper to step out of those roles. There ARE exceptions to the rules as well, I am not sure that God said that it was a law that women shouldn't teach or have authority, but I look at that as the same thing as multiple wives for example. God permitted men to have multiple wives, but his PREFERENCE is for one man and one woman to be married.

I have met some very Godly women in my life who were wiser than their husbands and the people around them and I learned about love and forgiveness from them.

It's not about capability either, women can do anything that men can do, sometimes better. But there is more to life than what we are able to do, there is a good way to walk the path that looks good to us, and there is the right way which God has chosen for us - are we wiser than God and can we claim to know what's best above God's directive? No way!

So I would say it is God's preference for a woman to not be a minister, and personally I think it is disruptive to the family life, but I would not want to stop someone who is truly called by God to serve in that capacity. In this area, my feeling is, "live and let live," but I definitely won't follow a woman minister or condone it.

20. Jenna Pope profile image59
    Jenna Popeposted 12 years ago

I'm a Catholic, so -- therefore -- no. They can be nuns, sisters or other religious. Look at Mother Teresa!

21. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 12 years ago

lol @ women being seen and not heard.  Wait a minute......... who said that again?!?!?

22. J.S.Matthew profile image79
    J.S.Matthewposted 12 years ago

I try to stay away from religious debate but I really wanted to make a quick point with my opinion. Here goes:

If the Bible is God's Word and is the Absolute Truth, should it really matter who reads it or offers interpretation of it? By saying that men only are worthy to read the Holy Scriptures, does that put men above woman? Are woman lesser Christians than men?

Wasn't Jesus born of a woman? Since he was, it is only logical to recognize the importance of woman. Woman are often the leaders within a family that teach their children faith and love. Often times, there is no man present. So in a single parent home where the mother is the only person rearing a child, should Bible readings and explanations be avoided?

This is old rhetoric and I am sure that Mary Magdalene, one of Jesus' personal friends and followers, would have a lot more to say about His message than any man I know. I suppose I could rant some more, but I just wanted to state how ridiculous this idea is of only men having the "Divine Authority" to teach God's Word. Jesus came for all those who believe and He encourages us to spread His Word. I don't think gender has a say, unless the year is 500 AD and women are viewed more like slaves and property, rather than daughters, sisters and wives. Just my 2 cents!

PS I am a Catholic for the record!

JSMatthew~

1. stayingalivemoma profile image83
      stayingalivemomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, JS! I love your answer and am happy you participated in this question!

23. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 12 years ago

As mentioned, the Bible, God Almighty's Word, says women (which I am one) are to keep silence in the church.  They are not "to usurp authority over the men."  Women I know donot like this, and will vote it down, but that is just because alot of women are feminists and want to be "just like the men".  This cannot be however.  God made us male amd female, He made us different.  Women in the pulpit before men is an abomination to God.  It is against His Word.  Women have their place, as do men.  A womans place IS NOT in the pulpit.

As I said, this will be voted down I am sure, but the truth remains (and truth hurts sometimes:)
    ii3rittles, let me say AMEN to your answer!  Well done!

24. profile image0
    mcals71posted 12 years ago

Jesus only called men to be His Apostles. Given the fact that Jesus lived in a Middle Eastern Country 2000 years ago, when women had virtually no rights, He wouldn't have been taken seriously if He had chosen women along with men to follow Him as Apostles. However they were allowed to follow Him as disciples.

Even today women are not taken seriously and are subjected to male domination. I see that going on with my male and female cats all the time. The male cat always fights for domination and the female cat lives in fear and submission. What comforts me is that it was a Woman who had the privilege to give birth and to raise the Son of God, and for that reason she is even more exalted than the Apostles and the whole Host of Heaven. Did Mary preach? Not much has been written about her in the Gospels. If she did preach she probably did so in private, not in public. But that may have been her choice.

To me it's an "either, or" kind of situation (family or ministry). Women in my opinion should have a viable choice, and it shouldn't be a concession handed to them by men, rather it should be a human right, like everything else.

25. Kebennett1 profile image59
    Kebennett1posted 12 years ago

Alexander Mark you hit it right on the nail head, I couldn't have said it better myself! Women have plenty of teaching capacity and nurturing capacity inside the home and Church but God does not desire Women to be Preachers/Ministers. As Christians we must believe the Bible as a whole, not just what we want to hear. If we start negating what we don't like and changing verses to make them mean what we want to hear then we might as well throw it out all together and be heathen's!

26. midwest1 profile image60
    midwest1posted 12 years ago

It shouldn't be a matter of male or female.  It should depend on if the individual is capable and spirtual.

27. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

This question is very sensitive. However, the question does not ask the equality of the sex opposites. They are in no doubt equal. No problems with that.
    the question is why men does the preaching?
    Actually, we can extend the question like this:
    Why men builds more muscles? why women only gets pregnant? why women are very pretty and men are husky? why do men have deeper voice? why men... why men... why men...? why women... why women... why women...?

28. EinderDarkwolf profile image60
    EinderDarkwolfposted 12 years ago

Not to denote your religion or beliefs, or the way in which your family has raised you, but don't look for answers like this. I understand wanting input and such from others, but a lot of what your going to get is fundamentalists. Everyone should be free to make up their own minds and shouldn't take everything as a historical fact. When you read the Bible, and you search your soul, you should listen to what your soul is telling you. That is the only way to find the truth and the way to support the answer for the question you are asking.

In my honest opinion, a woman is free to teach. The Church spent a long time suppressing the role of women in society. They did everything they could to keep them out of any role in which they might even begin to get the ear of a leader of any type just in case the power be usurped from them. That being said, in a time when the Church is no longer in power, why shouldn't women be allowed to teach and minister?

29. profile image55
    I AM the TRUTHposted 11 years ago

This is a good question deserving a righteous answer. Who better to tell the story better than the woman, sense she was the one to encounter the deceptfullness of the serpant, that the man named. Mrs. I am the truth sees that moment this way. Eve lounging around naked, and the nature of the beast watching was encouraged to encounter, and when he tried to come in to her, she said adam wake up don't you see this snake trying to come in unto me. She knew he was not supposed to do that, but old adam was tied and sleeping on his job, And the adam of this time is doing the same thing. Woman if you tell it, make sure the people ask to hear it. Otherwise they will resent you for it. This goes for the lazy man that won't keep his house coverd.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)