How do you get your three or four year old child to nap after lunch?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. alfetherlin profile image74
    alfetherlinposted 12 years ago

How do you get your three or four year old child to nap after lunch?

2. profile image61
    win-winresourcesposted 12 years ago

Hello Alfetherlin-

Start by not giving sugary foods (or caffinated) at lunch.  The lunch table should be calm and structured and not hurried.  Then maybe a soft couch with mommy (or daddy), and a favorite book.  Not necessairly a participatory read, more a paper lullaby.

The calm, secure setting, mommy in touch,  and a full belly should do the trick.

-DW

3. Jeni Pari profile image61
    Jeni Pariposted 12 years ago

Good Question!  I'm interested in seeing some other opinions as I have a soon to be 4 year old who won't nap any more.

Make sure they are not already sleeping to much where they wouldn't need a nap after lunch. 
    Depending on what time in the morning they wake-up as well as the level of activity they have
    durning the morning are all contributing factors.  I think there are a lot of parents who would agree that this is the time when many children naturally don't need to nap anymore.  That being said some '"quiet time" with a book or movie is still needed.

4. Agantum profile image60
    Agantumposted 12 years ago

Of my two daughters, now both older, one would never take a nap.  She may of had one or two afternoon naps her entire life.  She is still a whirlwind of activity, loves her picture being taken, enjoys shows, live music, clubbing, in fact just about any activity that keeps her awake when the rest of us want to take a nap, nothing has changed.

My other daughter would sometimes take a nap if I did too.  It would take me about 2 minutes to drop off.  About half the time she would climb off the end of the bed and keep herself entertained playing quietly until I woke up.  I was obviously tired, so she did not want to disturb me.

I am not sure that a single solution exists to your problem.  I am sure that you know more about your child than any of us here.

Good luck, Agantum.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

The truth is very few children continue to nap after about 2 1/2 to 3. They don't need the nap - we need them to nap!  :-)

I would either lay down with them because who doesn't love a nap -except kids!  Or you can not call it a nap and make it a quiet time on their bed or in their room and give them a special toy just for that time of day and a few books and they may or may not nap but the quiet time is good for everyone.  Maybe about 30 minutes might be all you can get out of them - but it renews everyone.

Neither one of my kids napped after about 3 yrs. old.

6. profile image0
    fordieposted 12 years ago

We are lucky. In China all kids get to nap after lunch in kindergarten and even in primary school - so ours has the habit already. He sometimes needs a little persuasion; a short book usually works. The only time we have a real issue is when we have family around and he doesn't want to be left out.

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

The three- and four- year-olds I've known (and I've known a lot of them) usually have a lot of energy and don't take naps.   Some may fall asleep in the car if they're in it long enough, but even then they may only fall asleep if they've had a particularly busy stretch of hours or slept less than usual the night before.

Children that age usually get up very early, stay up all day, and are then ready to fall asleep fairly early at night. If they happen to fall asleep for more than a few minutes in the car, and if they do that past early afternoon, there's a good chance they won't be ready to sleep at their normal bedtime.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)