What are some effective ways to get rid of heartburn if you don't have any antac

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (36 posts)
  1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

What are some effective ways to get rid of heartburn if you don't have any antacid tablets handy?

2. m0rd0r profile image62
    m0rd0rposted 12 years ago

Drink plenty of cold water. It will dissolve the acid and calm you.

There are 2 herbal teas, that will also help, but they need to be prepared and cooled down a bit before drinking.

Peppermint and chamomille. Boil for 5 minutes and cool.

They both help in heartburn and lower acidity in the stomach in the long term.

And if you can pinpoint the exact food that is triggering it, try to cook it with a tablespoon of savory next time.

(well, in case it is a cake or other sweet food - don't use savory big_smile )

3. pippap profile image78
    pippapposted 12 years ago

I find that eating something "absorbing" such as plain bread, crackers, etc. take the fire out of heartburn for me.  Just be sure that the bread or whatever you are eating is plain without a lot of added fats and sugars.

4. saitherapycentre profile image61
    saitherapycentreposted 12 years ago

You can drink as much as alkaline high ph water

5. cloverleaffarm profile image68
    cloverleaffarmposted 12 years ago

Slippery Elm powder. It instantly gets rid of heartburn. Just put a pinch of it in your mouth and swallow. You can also make a tea with it, and drink it.
    You can buy Slippery Elm tablets too. They sell them in most health food stores.

6. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

Drink a glass of hot water (cooled down some) with the juice of a lemon in it (add some honey if you wish) because lemon will alkaline your stomach acid.

Second is a cup of ginger tea, fresh ginger works best, but powdered ginger will suffice, again you can add honey to taste if required.

Antacid tabs are bad news long-term, besides which is you suffer regular heart burns, you will be too acid, cancer loves an acidic body, but hates alkaline bodies, so cut back on acidic foods ( the redder it is, the more acidic it probably is, the whiter the more alkaline) so red meat is acidic, so are COOKED tomatoes (raw are better but still watch the intake) whereas fish and chicken are much more alkaline... you get the drift.

Lemon has the rare quality that although we perceive it as acidic, in the body it turns alkaline, go figure!

7. lotuslove19 profile image69
    lotuslove19posted 12 years ago

Add one tsp of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it. It will calm the heart burn immediately.

8. Bills Place profile image84
    Bills Placeposted 12 years ago

I read the previous answers and some I haven't thought of trying, others (like the hot water, cold water, and tea) I have tried and for me did not help. I don't get heartburn as often these days as I used to, I have cut down on foods with acid in them as aguasilver mentioned.

However, up until a couple years ago I had heartburn anywhere from 2-5 days a week and believe it or not tums and Rolaids was little to no help! I found that drinking a glass of milk which helped the most in my case. Also ice cream worked. Since then I have read that eating a spoonful or two of mustard works, and my first thought was "wouldn't the vinegar make it worse". But not long ago my girlfriend had heartburn, I talked her into trying it and a couple minutes later she said it was gone...Since then I have tried it and it worked for me as well.

I should add that when I was in my mid-teens I would drink lemon juice straight from the bottle to gross people out and make a little money betting people I could drink it without making a face. At the time I didn't think anything of this, but I think that is what caused my years of severe heartburn, so don't drink lemon juice for fun! tongue

9. Mary Stuart profile image69
    Mary Stuartposted 12 years ago

Muddle fresh ginger in a hot water. Let it cool and add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. I add a couple of teaspoons of honey to this concoction. It is good for most anything that bothers your digestive tract.

10. hazelwood4 profile image66
    hazelwood4posted 12 years ago

One of the best ways to get rid of heartburn if you have no antacids available is chewing gum. Peppermint or spearmint works the best for me, and it pretty much relieves the pain.

11. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

A cup of soda, I find helps just like milk as someone mentioned. But, when I am having a heartburn, I find that my body does not want to take anymore fluids because they make me feel really miserable. I just discovered recently that a mild cheese like swiss cheese or monterey jack help a lot. They have a calming effect that first soothes your digestive system and eventually neutralizes everything in your stomach. I was not sure about the soda, it just occurred to me that it has carbon in it which could help and when I tried it, it worked.

12. Mini Mimi profile image61
    Mini Mimiposted 12 years ago

Some of my friends get heartburn and they say mint helps. Sucking a mint or chewing minty chewing gum or drinking mint tea.

13. susanna NY profile image61
    susanna NYposted 12 years ago

A remedy that I know of that I can personally say really works would have to be milk. Unless you happen to be lactose intolerant then It might cause other problems. But milk is known to suppress that burn sensation that comes with heartburn. Believe it or not meditating might help due to the fact that what might feel like heartburn may be a side effect of stress.

14. Colten Garrett profile image60
    Colten Garrettposted 12 years ago

Sip on some normal non sweetened tea with a lil bit of honey i'll take about 5 min everyones different tho

15. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 12 years ago

What do you do if you are pregnant and want to minimize heartburn?  I drank a lot of water between rather than with meals, and stocked up on my favorite little helpers: peppermints, ginger, and apple cider vinegar. read more

16. Bonitaanna profile image61
    Bonitaannaposted 12 years ago

First of all the stomach is a sodium organ.  When the body needs sodium it goes to the stomach to get it for other places in the body that needs it. Heartburn is usually caused from combining incompatible combinations of foods together in the stomach because it allows fermentation and putrefaction to develop.  Also, many people do not have enough hydrocloric acid to digest meats.  Meats and proteins should be eaten first because that is when the stomach has the hydrocloric acid at its strongest.  When you eat salads or starches that dilutes the hydrocloric acids and then a person needs protein digestive aids.  Papaya tablets are very handy to have for digestion. You can chew a few tablets when you eat, so you don't have that problem.  Remember our enzymes are our building blocks.  They are what helps us to digest and assimilate, without them we do not get all of the nutrient from the food. 1 tsp. of Baking Soda in a glass of water will settle the stomach down pretty fast. It is high in sodium and that is what the wall of the stomach is made of. Sodium is our youth element! It keeps us young and our joints stay young. Calcium forms in the joints without sodium, it keeps calcium in its liquid state in the bloodvessels.

17. tlcs profile image63
    tlcsposted 12 years ago

Try chewing gum it works for me, spearmint or peppermint will help and I have also heard that mint leaves can also help although I havent yet tried them.

18. profile image57
    mcaneny23posted 12 years ago
  19. rajan jolly profile image92
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

1. Drink unsweetened cold milk. It stops the heartburn.

2. Chew 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds. It stops heartburn and acid reflux right away.

20. profile image53
    kelluckyposted 12 years ago

Yes, vinegar is the answer!

And the reason why is the following.

When you're low on acids in your stomach your body reacts and starts fixing the problem. And by that it starts producing acid. However what you feel as heart burn is the body over reacting and making to much. Drink a tablespoon of acid (vinegar) and the body doesn't need to be over producing it, causing heartburn.

The explanation may be a little wrong but the VINEGAR is right.

P.S  It does hurt a little going down.

1. profile image53
      episkoposposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These are very interesting remedies suggested here. I am learning new ones as well. I also know that warm milk and  a bed rest can help greatly. Avoid fizzy drinks.

21. fitmom profile image74
    fitmomposted 12 years ago

I agree with the people who said to try lemon. I have warm lemon water every morning sweetened with a little stevia to take the edge off. Lemon water has so many health advantages!

My husband suffers from heartburn and his GI doctor said not to do milk for heartburn. He said it might make it better initially but will make it worse later.

I've heard from many people that taking a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar before your meal can rid you of heartburn. If you can't stomach it by itself, you can have a salad with some dressing of apple cider vinegar.

22. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 11 years ago

Drink soy milk, eat yogurt or take some garlic capsules.
    Also, you need to drink plenty of water as well.

23. artist101 profile image60
    artist101posted 11 years ago

Magnesium 250mg tablet, chew and swallow. Relief has been reported within 15 minutes. Magnesium is very healing to the body, and can actually heal the sphincter, which is causing the problem in the first place. The sphincter is the flap that holds the food and acid back, damage to it allows the acid to "back up". Tums, rolaids, and many other antacids contain alluminum in them, which has been linked to Alzhiemers. 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water helps, should not be used if you have high blood pressure. Other recommendations are kelp, and acid ease, available thru my article http://IBS-irritable-bowel-syndrome-a-common-sense-guide-natural-treatment

1. artist101 profile image60
      artist101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the best answer vote.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome artist101 smile

3. WendySue Hagins profile image59
      WendySue Haginsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with the baking soda in regards to contraindicated for high blood pressure. I also disagree with your assertion that Tums contains aluminum...it does not!  Tums is calcium carbonate with nothing else added and is great for your body.

24. niceandfizzy profile image70
    niceandfizzyposted 11 years ago

A glass of milk always helps me as I think that milk is alkaline and will neutralise the acid reflux.

25. tabassum19 profile image57
    tabassum19posted 11 years ago

Baking soda!
    Dilute 1 tsp in a glass of water. You will surely feel relieved!

26. Kuroodia profile image63
    Kuroodiaposted 11 years ago

I had this issue when I was preggerz. I would use baking soda water, which is nasty but it works ;p good for gas too.

27. profile image52
    JJones43posted 11 years ago

A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.  It sounds counter intuitive, but it works for me.

28. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

Bread and water are good to absorb the acid in your stomach. Popcorn with out butter and water. One of these, or only water.

29. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I had dangerous acid reflux that threatened to drown me in my sleep. Quite often I woke up coughing acid out my nose.

Cure: change your diet. Stop eating packaged food. Give up pizza, pasta and bread. American food is poisonous. Just look at maps of worldwide disease. Every country that eats American or westernized food has the highest rates of disease, especially heart disease and cancer. The chemical companies just love it -- they treat the food and then treat the illness. Profits, profits, profits.

Powerful fix: apple cider vinegar. Tastes awful, but works in a flash. Acid on acid? Yes, it works! Far better, though, is papaya enzyme. Works as fast, but tastes tons better.

My doctor said I'd be on my purple pill for the rest of my life. The Big Pharmaceutical companies would love to have heard that. But he lied out of ignorance. Most doctors don't know squat about health maintenance. They were trained by Rockefeller-corrupted medical schools pushing their petrochemical pharmaceuticals and crushing any and all cures, because they're bad for the bottom line.

I wish more people would wake up to the scam and the lies, but with the same psychopaths running Big Pharma, Petrochemicals, Military-Industrial Complex and the Corporate Party news media, it's hard to get facts about the corrupt monster. Certainly, they'll never tell you. More and more, any reporters who bite the hand that feeds them find themselves out of a job.

And those that report crimes usually end up in jail, especially since Obama made it to office. Bradley Manning is only the tip of the dark ice berg. He reported war crimes and now is serving 35 years. The actual criminals? Nothing!

And that's enough to give me heartburn without a bad diet.

30. keplersrealmkey profile image59
    keplersrealmkeyposted 6 years ago

One tablespoon of baking soda mixed with 8 ounces of water worked for me when I was pregnant.

It is rumored pickle juice helps. The acids balance your stomach. (I hate pickles).

31. WendySue Hagins profile image59
    WendySue Haginsposted 6 years ago

Immediate fix: spoon full of baking soda in a half glass of water, stir and drink.
    Done!

Plus, it's an excellent way to alkalize your body which stops dis-eases from setting up housekeeping in the first place smile

32. profile image53
    GabrielAngelGodposted 6 years ago

If you have bad heartburn and the Tums and Rolaids cannot stop the burn, then you have to much acid in your stomach.  To remedy this problem for some, you may eat Old Dutch - Ripl Chips, to absorb the acid and remedy the problem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)