What do you think of healthy people who feel that they are meant to be physicall

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

What do you think of healthy people who feel that they are meant to be physically disabled?

It's called Body Identity Disorder and is similar to those who feel they are trapped in the wrong gender. Do you think this is legitimate or is it an insult to those who have no choice but to be confined to a wheelchair? You can find out more about it on http://transabled.org/

2. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 12 years ago

They are most certainly without a doubt mentally ill....can't speak for the people actually thinking that way, but there are those that want to hack there own arm or legs off so that they get disabled parking and other associated benefits....which is odd.

3. old albion profile image60
    old albionposted 12 years ago

To me it must be a mental issue. It is not the normal accepted thought pattern. I think that the majority of us would consider this to be odd. Therefore it would seem to be out of step with the rest of us.
    I have an ongoing muscle wasting problem and I have limited mobility, spending part of each day in a wheelchair, I do not find this to be an insult. However I can understand that others might take an opposing view.

4. Keri Summers profile image68
    Keri Summersposted 12 years ago

I took a look at the website you mentioned, and I believe this is genuine.  Sufferers do not appear to be attention-seeking, but quite the opposite - looking for a place to quietly share support for something that must be very difficult indeed to discuss.  What convinced me in particular was where the condition was described as a "need" rather than a want.  I'd not heard of this condition.  Unfortunately it's one that people will find all too easy to judge, so I hope that more sufferers will in time feel able to share their stories openly and educate the public.  Having suffered from a disabling condition (neurological CFS/ME) that people can be quick to dismiss as imaginary, I empathise with their situation.  Good question.

5. profile image57
    Philliphatfieldposted 12 years ago

I am an amputee and would love to take their leg and i will give them my  wheelchair and parking permit!

Yes, this is a mental sickness and they need genuine professional help.

Sorry but I have to be honest here! This one blows my mind!

6. JamaGenee profile image79
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

I don't think such people have a perfectly good limg amputated solely for the parking permit or disability benefits, but there's definitely an underlying issue that needs addressing *before* any irreversible surgery is performed.  As a great believer in karma and reincarnation, I'm guessing the need to be disabled is unresolved guilt leftover from a previous life, but that's just my opinion.

7. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

Well, as someone who is a registered nurse and also familiar with disabilities, this is new information to me. Words escape me right now. Why would anyone NEED to be disabled? To me this sounds like a mental illness. Is it in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual yet?

CFIDS/ME is in no way comparable to this!

8. kgc-66 profile image60
    kgc-66posted 12 years ago

I do not believe it's different from any other mental disorder - some people hear voices, others see things that are not there, some believe their bodies are grossly out of proportion, others see an obese person when they are actually starving to death... There is no limit to the pain the mind can inflict upon itself.  These people should receive mental health treatment, but they should not be allowed to hurt themselves (inasmuch as that is possible), nor should anyone assist them in becoming disabled.

9. WookieWonderfuls profile image61
    WookieWonderfulsposted 12 years ago

This is a great question one of which i never have researched into but now i think i may smile

I'v known somebody who faked having M.E for what reason i don't know but she has many many issues!

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I've very happy for the great answers to this question. Feel free to write a  hub about it smile

PS Don't know who is voting things down here and for what reason. But, that is the nature of HubPages

11. profile image0
    jasper420posted 12 years ago

As with any illness mental or physical disorder its not for us to pass judgment the only one who realy can or even has the right to answer this is the one who suffers from the condition.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)