What are the top 5 considerations for a parent or guardian that wishes to home s

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 12 years ago

What are the top 5 considerations for a parent or guardian that wishes to home school

Write a hub about the factors that should go into a decision whether or not to home school a child

2. kschimmel profile image71
    kschimmelposted 12 years ago

Parents, consider these five important questions when choosing between home schooling and other educational options such as private or public school. read more

3. CarolineVABC profile image69
    CarolineVABCposted 12 years ago

This is a very good question! There is a trend for home schooling these days. With bullying and social issues, many parents are starting to consider home schooling for their children. In my opinion, the top 5 considerations for home schooling are the ff:

1. The child's personality
               Is the child an introvert/extrovert? Will he/she be happier working alone most of the time or does the child thrive in a peer group work?
    2. Parents' willingness to teach
              Will the parent(s) be willing to teach their children?
    3. Time/Commitment
              Both parent and child should be committed to working together. Home schooling will require a lot more discipline and good structure should be implemented.
    4. Educational standards
              Parents should make certain that the education that the child gets are the same standards with the traditional education.
    5. Educational assessments
              Parents should make certain that the child's learning will be assessed periodically. In a conventional educational setting, progress reports are given per quarter periods to advise parents how their children are doing in school.
          Hope this was helpful.

4. denise.w.anderson profile image87
    denise.w.andersonposted 12 years ago

1. Discuss the option of home schooling with your local school district administration - every state has its own rules and regulations regarding home schooling, who can do it, and what the requirements are in order for the student to be recognized as having been educated legitimately.
    2. Consider carefully who will be doing the teaching. In order to have a high quality educational experience, there needs to be a curriculum and a teacher who can determine what, where, when, and how to teach it.
    3. Ask yourself about the trade-off. Every decision has a consequence. Home schooling is great but there will something lost in the process, whether it is the social interaction, the lack of variety in experiences, or the burden on the family. What sacrifices are being made for the benefit of the student and why are they so important that public schooling is being set aside for them?
    4. Get connected with other home-schoolers. There are plenty of them around and you can collaborate your efforts, as well as get ideas that others have used that work effectively. It is also an effective way to stay on target with your own school year.
    5. Keep accurate records of what is taught and how its is evaluated. If there is a question as to what the child knows and where they are grade-wise, you can show what has been done and how progress was calculated.

5. carolegalassi profile image60
    carolegalassiposted 12 years ago

I homeschooled my children for 6 years. I faced this exact question before doing so. Here are some of the things I considered:

• My attitude: Was I really ready to take this important task on.
    • Were all my questions answered about socialization, curriculum, time, resources.
    • What are my personal reasons for wanting to do so.
    • List pros and cons, if any. Do the pros outweigh the cons?

I enjoyed my time with my children during our homeschooling days and have never regretted it for a minute. They are in college now and have even thanked me for those precious years we spent together. Mind you, it wasn't all fun in the sun days, and it was hard work and commitment.

6. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

I worked with a home school co-op and found the homeschool students were dedicated, well adjusted learners due to the quality education received through the parents.  I like all the hubber answers to your question and agree with the suggestions.  I think the parent has to really consider if they have the time to do it because it is crucial to a child's learning that they have a set schedule.

7. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 11 years ago

1.  find out the laws in your state.
    2.  decide if you are up to the responsibilities.
    3.  consider your child's individual personality.
    4.  consider the child's learning style.
    5.  think about why you want to homeschool-  some people have good reasons, others don't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)