Have you ever visited Vladamir Lenin's tomb on Red Square in Moscow, Russia?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. Chuck profile image82
    Chuckposted 12 years ago

Have you ever visited Vladamir  Lenin's tomb on Red Square in Moscow, Russia?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4172488_f260.jpg

2. ReuVera profile image81
    ReuVeraposted 12 years ago

Yes, I did. I suppose you recently visited Moscow with your wife and also visited Lenin's mausoleum? So, how is it now?
    I was there in 1969, when I was in 4th grade, I was 10 years old. My mother took me there during one of our trips to Moscow, because for a soviet citizen it was a must to visit it. I was never in the mausoleum before, but my mother decided that I was old enough for this and that it will be something to report in one of the classes when back to school in fall.
    We came to the Alexandov garden very early in the morning to get into line. A line of visitors was formed in Alexandrov garden. You had to wait in line to get into the Lenin's mausoleum. We came several hours earlier than the opening hour. There was a huge crowd of people there, but unlike any other line in Soviet era, this one was organized and pretty civilized. While we waited for the mausoleum to open, I had lots of fun playing with other kids from the crowd. Then the line started to move steady and within an hour we got to the Red Square and then to the mausoleum.
    Frankly speaking, I was not very enthusiastic to see a dead person in a coffin. Honestly, I did not want to do it AT ALL. But I suppose, it was "an honor", not many kids from my school happen to have this experience.
    When we got inside, I was so scared and so nervous already, that I was having involuntary muscle contractions in my arms, they were shaking. It was cool and semi-dark inside; in every corner a soldier was standing at the wall on the crowd way.  We went through a small room in a semi-circle. In the middle of the room there was a podium with Lenin's corpse. I gave it only a very short glance, I was not able to look at this longer. I was looking under my feet all the way. It took us probably less than a minute to pass the way, but it seemed like an eternity for me.
    When we got out of this place into a sunny day, it was a complete relief for me. Only later I confessed to my mother what a torture it was for me. She apologized and said that she considered that it might have been beneficiary for me because then I had to tell about it at school. She also said that it was not a real dead body of Lenin, but likely a preserved with formalin stuffed doll.
    It was my only time of visiting the Lenin's mausoleum. During my numerous visits to Moscow even a thought about it never came to me.

3. Chuck profile image82
    Chuckposted 12 years ago

ReuVera - the picture is relatively new as it was taken 10 years ago when I was visiting my then fiancee in Ryazan (she is now my wife and living in the U.S. with me).  We took a train to Moscow for the day but the tomb was closed (it is only open a few hours a week now days).  When we were there no one was paying attention to it as the the crowds and honor guard were gathered around the corner along the part of the Kremlin Wall where the grave of the Unknown Soldier from World War II (Great Patriotic War) is located.

Ironically, I was on a college sponsored trip to the Soviet Union in March of 1969 and we toured the tomb during the Moscow portion of our trip.  The line was very long just as you described, however because we were foreign tourists, our Intourist guide simply took us directly to the head of the line.  That gave us more time to spend our U.S. dollars in the foreign currency stores as well as exchange them for Rubles to spend in regular stores like the old GUM Department store along the edge of Red Square opposite the tomb (the Soviet Union desperately needed foreign currency at that time).

Like you, my impression was that the body in the tomb was simply a wax figure.  However, subsequent research has revealed that it really is the embalmed body of Lenin and the same family of undertakers that first embalmed Lenin is still caring for the body and doing touch-ups every few months.  However,even they can't save it forever as he is only supposed to last another 20 or 40 years before time takes its toll and the body disintegrates.

4. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

Yes, I did on many occassion on my school trips as a child, primary school student, high school student and university student...he was the person we learnt about the most at school:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)