When is the best time to move to your own blog site?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. GmaGoldie profile image82
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

When is the best time to move to your own blog site?

I have several hundred articles here on GmaGoldie which I call fun and frolic but I wish to take the next step and open a Wordpress account.

I have learned that Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org are different. I have learned that Wordpress is a high page rank than Blogger.And then there is the option of my own domain.

What series of steps should I take to integrate into a full blog complete with my own hosting? I am not earning enough money at the moment for the hosting but can see someday the other sites (economics, finance and food safety) have the possibility of earning some dollars for me.

2. peanutroaster profile image64
    peanutroasterposted 12 years ago

Consider that your own blog will take time to achieve enough views to make it valuable.  When you are in a big site such as Hubpages you benefit from the audience that has be cultivated from the vast amount of information within the site.  Your own blog will also be competing with thousands of other blogs including biggies such as Hubpages.

3. Eight8Consulting profile image58
    Eight8Consultingposted 12 years ago

I think you are well on track to start your own blog, it does takes some time to grab search engines attraction & permanent visitors so patience is the key here.

4. Arielqiao profile image60
    Arielqiaoposted 12 years ago

Actually, I also want to ask the same question. A wordpress blog is better than the one here?

5. GmaGoldie profile image82
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

The Google search engine excels because it responds and ranks those websites and blogs with activity. The original term used at Google was "back rub" - similar to a pat on the back by a good friend. It is a way to recognize achievement so the results are more focused. The back rub is ranked by the number of visitors and page duration.

To take your online presence to a new level, the best method is multiple "back links" and focusing on an unique niche market.

In my opinion, there is no finer site than HubPages but putting all your eggs in one basket 1.) doesn't increase your online presence, 2.) doesn't increase your search engine tags and 3.) limits your learning experience to only one site.

Having your own site is best but only if that site is promoted. HubPages is the best place to begin and the best place to complement your other writing sites. However, IF your author score falls below 75, essentially your work on HubPages is not seen by the search engines. Keeping your author score up is critical.

So having stated all of that, the best time to start your own blog is when you can generate traffic to your own site.

My specific question really is how do I know? I am fearing failure at developing my own site. The stats here are very clear to monitor. How do I know IF and/or when I am failing at my Wordpress site?

Are there mile markers on WordPress to guide you when you should move to a self hosted site?

Should I spend the money on the self hosted site IF I am only do this part-time and my writing is just generating a nominal amount of money?

There is no question IF you are a full time writer, both HubPages and your own self hosted site are profitable.

The question is how do I determine the timeframe to wait? I don't wish to self host if there is insufficient return.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)