As a society what can we do to prevent elementary school violence and excessive

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

As a society what can we do to prevent elementary school violence and excessive bullying?

It goes to a whole new level these days.  My 12 year old son heard a boy threaten to bring a knife to school, slit a teachers throat and make it look like a suicide.  He told the teacher/principal so this kid threatened to kill him.   How do we start to put an end to the idea that bullying is a "normal" part of growing up"? BS I think it's time for parents and kids to be held accountable and not given a pass.  Terrorism is terrorism and this situation was handled very passively - I'm shocked and saddened. How do we collectively as a society tackle this problem?

2. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

The government is responsible for a lot of that attitude when they refuse to pass laws against discrimination against the gay community.  Kids are not stupid and when they see this BS on the T.V. everyday, it just reinforces what their biased and bigoted parents, and religious teachers, are saying about women killing their babies, gays being hated by God, and Liberals being sinful and against religion. Plus the mainstream media only plays up the hatred and violence in society and adds to the discrimination.
    We need to start getting involved in the school curriculum that our kids are subjected to, and start some kind of support group within the schools to teach kids about respect for others.
    People think they have no say in what a school is teaching their children.  Or else they just do not want to take the time out of their busy lives to get involved in what the schools are doing, or not doing, to protect all the kids that are enrolled there. 
    You, as a parent, can be the first to bring such a program to your school, and show by example that something can actually be done about school bullying.
    Believe me, when i tell you, if i were a young parent with kids in school i would be in the faces of the school board, the principal, and the teachers, and create such a program.
    Someone has to start that 'war against bullies and bigots' in the school system.  Why not you?

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I wish I had a better answer. The problem with excessive bullying, the more noise that is made, the worse the bullying becomes. Bullying is not a one-on-one situation like it use to be. It is a gang mentality. It takes administrators, teaches and other staff members to stand up to the students. My son went to a Catholic High School.The football team (he was not a member) had a training camp off site. There were certain rules. The star quarterback broke one of the rules.I do not think it involved bullying. It was just one of the rules. He did not get a warning. He was put on the second string defensive line. The team still had a good year and made the playoffs. The quarterback that was disciplined may have missed out on a college scholarship. I do not know. The coach did the right thing. Unfortunately, that is a rarity. Bullies are not always under-performng students. They can be he good athletes, the popular ones with the teachers and those voted most likely to succeed. Other bullies fall at the other end of the spectrum and do not care what happens to them, so they can be more aggressive. Teachers, staff and other students have to be aware. Students need a way of reporting bullying, without being revealed as the one who "Squealed". Schools can set rules. The administration has to be willing to enforce them, even if it means thestar quarterback does not get to play.

4. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 11 years ago

1.  make teachers and other school staff aware that they are responsible for what goes on in their classrooms/schools.  Bullying often happens because kids aren't supervised.

2.  have "what you should do in this type of situation" a part of what kids are taught in school.  When bullying starts it often continues because the child on the receiving-end of it doesn't know what to do about it. 

3.  if a teacher or other staff member notices that a child often bullies other children, they should take steps to investigate the reasons for it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)