Do you always welcome guests to your house with open arms?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (16 posts)
  1. silverstararrow profile image75
    silverstararrowposted 11 years ago

Do you always welcome guests to your house with open arms?

Should guests (distant relatives or friends) turn up unexpectedly at your house for an extended stay (lets say a fortnight or a month), would be a welcoming host? Or would you try a few tricks to drive them away?

2. Leaderofmany profile image59
    Leaderofmanyposted 11 years ago

Depends on the guest, Some I would slam the door shut in their face. I would hope that they got the hint. Others I would put up no matter what. I would hope the guest coming would know if they were welcome or not at my home.

1. silverstararrow profile image75
      silverstararrowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly how I feel as well. It would save everyone a lot of hassle if the guests knew for themselves whether they were welcome or not. smile

3. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

I have only had two guests that stayed with me. One family member and one couple from India...
    I would not drive them away..if I opened my door, it means they can stay as long as they wished..
    Hence only two in twelve years...

4. algarveview profile image75
    algarveviewposted 11 years ago

No, I don't appreciate that kind of behaviour, I think my house is my castle, it's where I feel safe and confortable and I don't like to have unexpected guests and extended stays, etc. I welcome guests, but I need to know exactly when they are coming and for how long they are staying, because my house is not an Hotel. The same way I really dislike staying at other people's houses, I much rather stay at an Hotel, it's nothing personal, it's just that I really need my space...

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

not a chance. if someone showed up and just expected to stay, it would show disrespect towards me and my family and i would tell them to get lost. i would let a friend stay as long as they wanted if they asked before just showing up though.

6. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 11 years ago

As much as I'd like to say that I'd gladly accept them, I wouldn't. I'm extremely territorial (sounds stupid, I know), and I kind of hate it when people come over unexpectedly, especially for that long of a time. I have stuff to do! Also, guests (for me) usually expect me and my family to just cancel our plans and cater to their every need- cooking meals, driving them places, etc. I'd much rather just meet up with them somewhere else.

1. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. It's inconvenient when you're not in the mood, not expecting, and did not invite them.

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I'm always happy to have guests, and I do what I can to make them feel comfortable and welcome, BUT....

Whether they're coming for a half hour or two weeks, I do prefer they let me know they'll be showing up.  The surprise short-term guest isn't such a big deal, but it's always nicer to know someone is going to showing up. 

When it comes to someone who would show up unexpectedly with a month's worth of luggage and a big life crisis (or even a smaller one), it would depend on who did (or would EVER do) that.  If it were one of my grown kids - my door and arms are always open to them.  If it were someone else who did that I'd probably think they had mental health (or at least "horrendous ignorance") issues that prevented them from knowing that "You don't do that!" so I'd let them in, be polite, and be thinking of what I'd do next to let them know they make other plans. Essentially, I'd be pretty wary of the "can of worms" someone like that was about to release into my home and/or life. (lol) (I mean, really - if you're suddenly homeless and penniless and the weather outside is bad, can you at least borrow someone's cell phone or borrow change for a pay phone to call and warn me that you'll be showing up?   (lol)  )

8. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 11 years ago

I don't like anyone showing up unexpectedly at all, regardless of how long they want to stay. 
    It's basic manners to call/contact someone first-  you could be busy, not home, or simply not want company.

9. alisha4u profile image39
    alisha4uposted 11 years ago

Interesting question...

Well, morally you should welcome your guests no matter what...
    But, sometimes I don't appreciate someone just bumping in at the odd hour...I hate it especially when they try to intervene in my privacy....

But, you know what, I think I should just mend myself a little for this kinda attitude...Though, I manage to keep that weird smile always wink

I look forward to reading more answers on this.... They are gonna be interesting...

10. profile image57
    PoojaMehta0911posted 11 years ago

Not always... It actually depends on the kind of guest and mood. but sometimes you are left with no option than to welcome them with a big smile.....

11. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

I would not be welcoming. I had this happen and lost an adult friend over this. Adult is the key word here. If you are over the age of 18, you pay your own way in life and consider how your actions can impact others. I am not responsible for providing a roof over your head for any period of time, nor am I responsible for catering to your whims of dropping by uninvited. My home is that, mine.

The friend decided to book a trip from out of state saying she was visiting her parents. She called me at the airport asking for a ride to MY house at the last minute. I told her to get a rental car so she could get to her parents' home. I don't like uninvited guests. She told me that she wanted to stay with me and I refused. We have not spoken since. She traveled hundreds of miles and wrongly assumed that she could spend several days with me. I have tried to make my home a retreat from stress and nonsense that we find in this world. No way am I inviting it in.

12. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

Everyone is welcome in my home.  However, I think it would be exceptionally rude to just drop in on someone for an extended stay without any warning.  If someone were to do that to me, I would gladly help them secure accommodations at the nearest Holiday Inn.   However, I have a big house with lots of room so if a friend were in trouble or needed a place to stay for a time, I would have no trouble putting them up.  It's just a matter asking first.

13. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

Where we grew up it was the done thing to call on each other if in the area for a coffee & chat & it was before the days of mobile phones . We were always welcomed with a big warm smile & invited in & we would do the same .
    Even where we brought our kids up it was the same & nobody used to ring up for permission to call in for a coffee so I am amazed at how many would get mad at someone doing that as it used to be nice getting an unexpected visitor even if we were busy !!
    For an extended stay they would normally ask first but if a friend rang from the airport to surprise us we would happily pick them up and find them somewhere to sleep & have a great time with them .

14. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I love hosting people and sharing my home; however, I like advance notice of visitors and don't have room for houseguests longer than 1-2 nights because it means my daughter has to give up her room. I would always be hospitable to unexpected guests and do my best to find local accomodations while inviting them to join us for breakfast or lunch and sightseeing the next day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)