If you became angry with the government, would you surrender your citizenship? w

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (32 posts)
  1. glmclendon profile image61
    glmclendonposted 11 years ago

If you became angry with the government, would you surrender your citizenship? why/ why not

2. profile image0
    detroitmareposted 11 years ago

No.  I have been angry with the government, but am not one of those who has said that I'd leave the country if certain people were elected.  Let me be totally honest here.  I was not happy with President Bush at all, however, I still respected the office itself.  I believe that our founding fathers laid the groundwork for a fair and balanced government. 

In short: I respect the government as an institution. No matter who we elect as a people, this is still one of the greatest nations in the world.

3. profile image0
    Hubert Williamsposted 11 years ago

Why would anybody give up citizenship because the government? In this country it is legal to disagree with the government, even in public. Look what happens to protestors in other countries. I you don't like what this government is doing, vote them out. Try that in Venezuela or Cuba.

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Any particular government and country.  What would be the point of abandoning citizenship of one country, to live elsewhere and face other disagrements?

1. Sheepsquatch profile image63
      Sheepsquatchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If my country was into mass genocide, I am pretty sure I could find another country with disagreements that I would rather face.

5. point2make profile image58
    point2makeposted 11 years ago

We are citizens because of birth or choice and not because of the actions or reactions  of any government.. Although it might not seem so, at times, the government serves it's citizens not the other way around.  This Nation is made up of "We The People" not  "we" the government.
    In closing please let me emphasize, as strongly as I can, you.....your family....your friends.....your neighbors and all the people around you are the "Nation". The government is simply a tool we use and always remember, like any tool, in the box it can be replaced!!!

6. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

never. though my government is basically a bunch of wealthy twits, my country is the best place in the world to live. nothing would make me give up on this country.

1. Sheepsquatch profile image63

Do you really want someone who can't manage their own finances to manage a nation's? I know a lot of people get mad that the wealthy have more power in government, but it kind of makes sense to me.

2. profile image0
      detroitmareposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sheepsquatch: You have a valid point. Many of the wealthy politicians in the US inherited their money or married into it. Some are self made. They have an edge when it comes to campaigning & have a hard time identifying with the middle class &amp

3. nightwork4 profile image59
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

just because a person isn't wealthy, you think that means they can't manage their own money, surely you jest. some people priorities aren't about money.

4. Sheepsquatch profile image63

If the person didn't have money or see any value in it, then they probably shouldn't be in charge of a nation's finances. Most decisions in government involve spending or generating money.

5. Catherine Kane profile image83
      Catherine Kaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to agree with the concept that not having money doesn't automatically mean you can't manage it.Indeed, sometimes higher skills needed to manage lack of funds

Think rich folk can lead if in touch w/ average folks. Non-rich can also lead well

6. nightwork4 profile image59
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

if it was just about finances, that would be great but how about morals, laws to protect the poor, health care etc. the government does a lot more then finance

7. Sheepsquatch profile image63

A person in a position of power should be both competent and moral. Having one of these characteristics does not necessitate or exclude the other. Given the choice of two candidates, same morals, I would choose the one who has proven themselves.

7. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 11 years ago

This is my country and I'm not leaving it. I love my homeland and it is worth fighting for. There are many zealots and ideologues who want to reshape things to their way of thinking and I believe majority rules and not just the few with more money and power. In that regard I will continue to seek equality and voter rights for all.

8. CR Rookwood profile image72
    CR Rookwoodposted 11 years ago

No, I would not surrender my citizenship. I believe a primary responsibility of citizenship in the U.S. is informed dissent and political activism. If the government is not representing the people, our own Declaration of Independence states we have the responsibility to change that.

9. swordsbane profile image60
    swordsbaneposted 11 years ago

If no one ever gave up on their own government and left, then the United States would not exist.  If I could get off this planet and go somewhere where I could make up my own rules, I would buy that ticket in a heartbeat, but there isn't.

That being said, I don't feel like this government is a lost cause.  The current corruption is completely dependent on the public not waking up and saying "No, you must start doing things THIS way."  Everything could turn around tomorrow if that would happen.  Sometimes, I think we're almost there, but people seem to have a very great capacity for self-delusion and complacency.  Still, this is a tyranny like no other in history; one that keeps us ignorant of our power.  We aren't told we CAN'T have what we want or need.  We are told we HAVE all we want or need, and we believe it.... chained in a slavery of our own making.  Americans are terrifyingly determined when they have an enemy to fight, but we have been duped in to believing our greatest enemy is our best ally, like some perverted Stockholm Syndrome.  It's like locking someone up and then hiding the key on them.  If we could just realize that we have the key and then find it, we could truly be free.

Not only do we not know where the key is, we aren't aware that we have it and collectively, we aren't even sure we're in a prison at all.  The powers that be have sold us the idea that their brand of complete slavery is not only not bad.. but actually desirable.  Great lies like having two political parties is a good thing, and arguing about what color to paint a room is going to make it resistant to tornadoes.  It's going to take a bit of work to bring that deception out into the light, but it's a very short trip once we figure out how to make it.  Technically, everything can be fixed in the next election.  It WONT be, but it CAN be.

That gives me some measure of hope, or at least curiosity to find out exactly where our "breaking point"  How long can we go one being ignorant allies of the very people who keep us ignorant before we say "enough already"

1. billd01603 profile image77
      billd01603posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great points!!! Voted up

10. Vegas Elias profile image61
    Vegas Eliasposted 11 years ago

Instead of surrendering citizenship it would be wise to topple the government with whom I would be angry.

11. dervishez profile image61
    dervishezposted 11 years ago

Becoming angry is an expression of dissent and disagreement, I would not surrender my citizenship and leave the country I would rather remain there and continue to dissent.

12. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

No. I don't think there would be a point in giving up my citizenship. Where would I go? The grass would not be greener with some other government, that's for sure. We live in a country where if enough people want to make a change, we could make it happen. If enough people became angry, they could be proactive and move the government to change. If I am angry, it is my own fault for not being more involved with the government.

13. profile image0
    Chris Hughposted 11 years ago

I agree that if no one ever gave up on their government and left, this country would not have been founded.

That said, nothing could induce me to give up my US citizenship. Not even a billion dollars, unlike that Facebook nitwit. I would die before I renounced my US citizenship. I'm happy, grateful and proud to be an American.

Of course, I'm constantly annoyed by our government. I detest the hunger for power, the wish to throw away freedom for some childish promise of safety.

I also hate America-bashing Americans. But such is freedom. We are free to have express disagreements. That part I like.

Interesting question. I'm not sure how one would write a Hub on it though. Maybe it would have been better in the forums?

14. Mr. Happy profile image71
    Mr. Happyposted 11 years ago

I'd quicker make those in government surrender their citizenship. Why surrender my citizenships (I have two) because of the incompetence of those in government?

1. CR Rookwood profile image72
      CR Rookwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yay Mr. Happy! wink

2. Mr. Happy profile image71
      Mr. Happyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha - thank You CR Rookwood. Cheers! : )

3. profile image0
      detroitmareposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I liked this answer too..it has teeth!

4. Mr. Happy profile image71
      Mr. Happyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Mr. Detroidmare - indeed this White Wolf has teeth. : )

15. mackyi profile image66
    mackyiposted 11 years ago

we are responsible for electing our government, they didn't elect themselves, so if we are angry with them why not just protest against them or try to vote them out of office, as opposed to surrendering our citizenship? If you surrender your citizenship you are only allowing them to oppress you more, because now, you have no voting rights!

16. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

I really can't imagine anyone in his country not being angry in some of the government's actions, and in which we are supposed to have a large part,  We can vote and display our discontent in many ways and yet, we still have the best country and government in the world. Citizenship is one of the greatest privileges that one can have, and I certainly regret and wish that our government would be more discerning and require new citizens and immigrants, in any form or fashion, to abide by rules and regulations, as in earlier times in the history of our republic. Some people have renounced citizenship in the past and later realized that this was a mistake.  Although some countries have inviting characteristics, none really compare to the United States in freedoms and the ability for individuals to succeed. I would never give up my citizenship in this country.Many people have died defending our rights and privileges in this country and its values are without comparison.

17. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I haven't gotten that angry yet, but I haven't ruled out the possibility of leaving the U.S. if it becomes financially or morally unsustainable.

18. Catherine Kane profile image83
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

No, because my country is more than the government, especially in a democracy, where governments change regularly.

19. Sheepsquatch profile image63
    Sheepsquatchposted 11 years ago

If there was a better place to live, I would be completely fine given up citizenship. There is no reason stay in a place that made your life worse, and wasn't for someones  benefit that you cared about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)