Why is it they say it takes about 6 months before hubs see substantial traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. yougotme profile image90
    yougotmeposted 11 years ago

Why is it they say it takes about 6 months before hubs see substantial traffic?

I keep on reading from other hubbers that it takes several months before hubs actually realize some traffic inflows. What's the basis or logic behind this?

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure. It could be that it takes some time before your name gets known and therefore trusted, although this is not always true. Some say that hubs 'mature' but again why should that be if they go straight out onto the world pages. Google is said to prefer content that is refreshed, so if you update hubs every so often they'll gather momentum like a snowball?
    I think the time frame for substantial numbers to your hub depends on:

1. the nature of the hub - has it got useful content, evergreen, likely to attract a general audience or a select few? Or is it a flavour of the month type hub likely to be popular for a few weeks then fade away?

2. how you promote the hub - to social sites to gain backlinks, blogs and other sites and so on.

3. the timing - if you write hubs say for sporting occasions or festivals you could get loads of traffic.

Whatever the truth I hope you get decent traffic sooner rather than later!

1. yougotme profile image90
      yougotmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the response chef-de-jour! I'm curious about your statement "Google is said to prefer content that is refreshed". In your case, did traffic increase upon updating your hubs?

3. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 11 years ago

It's hard to answer this question because you don't define substantial traffic. But I think a lot of it has to do with the experience of the Hubber. New Hubbers, who have never written online content before, have a lot to learn. New Hubbers, who are experienced with online writing, will know more right away and probably get more traffic. However, every platform is different and it takes different skills to monetize them effectively.

Paul Edmondson once said that it took a few years for Hubs to reach their full potential. However he recently amended that statement saying hubs might mature more quickly in this post- Panda and Penguin world.

It also depends on the stability of the HubPages platform. Recently there have been so many changes, it's hard for a new Hubber to see what works well for them.

For me, I had tried several topics and formats and thought I knew what might be working well. But then the patterns changed. I don't know if it was Google, HP or the time of year.

I've only got 27 hubs so that's not very much to make a judgement from.

4. Faceless39 profile image91
    Faceless39posted 11 years ago

I'd imagine that as word spreads, hubs would be bumped into online more often.

5. hoov45 profile image63
    hoov45posted 11 years ago

My traffic has gone down in the last couple of weeks by over 70%. It is very depressing.

6. brianrock profile image83
    brianrockposted 11 years ago

The logic is the longer the hub is online, the more links Google can find that point to it. These links are a ranking factor, so they can help a hub (or any page) float up the search engine results over the first few months.

Google's index is also being constantly updated, and it's spread across many data servers. It takes time for these servers to synchronize, and so it could take a month or two before your hub and its associated links percolate through the entire Google ecosystem. This is part of the reason why search results don't always appear constant - sometimes they're pulled from different servers, and webpages will jump around a few spots depending on what server you're talking to.

Longevity also helps enhance the strength of your HubPages profile as it receives more backlinks (from around the web and from within the HubPages community), and this again helps strengthen all of your hubs.

How much this matters depends on how competitive a certain keyword phrase is. If there's little competition, a hub can jump into the top page within a couple days or weeks. For more competitive keywords, it might climb more slowly before it settles into a specific position.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)