Have you ever had a horrible neighbor? What did you do?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 11 years ago

Have you ever had a horrible neighbor? What did you do?

I personally have a miserable, old neighbor who never leaves her house except to spread misery.

She's taken off 'her' fence boards between our houses to turn all ugly boards our way and then threatened to sue if we painted them. She's crushed our drainage pipe because too much water was leaking into the bushes between our house. She's egged our house 3 times.  She has never let me go outside once in the three years I've lived here without coming out herself to see what I am doing.

Do you have a neighbor like this? I thought we could share and maybe feel better about our own neighbors.

2. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Yes, two of them. One is a widow who called the cops because the neighbors "parked" on her lawn. They didn't and she got a ticket for cussing in front of a minor.

Relationshipcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice. My neighbor (same one as above) put down a board with nails in front of her yard so that no one could park there. I wonder if she would have got a ticket for that if any of us had complained.

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ouch. Your neighbor is just asking for trouble.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

I don't tolerate terrible neighbors.

I snuck over and squirted superglue into the keyholes of his entry doors. And watched him trying to get into his house. Pretty dang funny. He got the message that somebody wasn't happy with his antics.

He had no idea who it was, since he ticked off everybody.

I got a few other tricks too.

If only I had the courage....

4. fitmom profile image73
    fitmomposted 11 years ago

My worst neighbor has been a family that had roosters that crowed all night long. They were so long that it sounded like their were right next to the bed. It was awful! I don't know how many nights were sleepless. There were too many to count.

Besides the rooster, they had parties constantly in their garage and played music that didn't sound loud from outside, but the bass carried through straight into our bedroom and kept me from sleeping.

Of course, my husband can sleep through most anything and just added to the noise with his symphonic snoring! I definitely don't miss those neighbors!!

See. Now that makes me feel better about my neighbor lol. At least she is quiet!

5. annerivendell profile image61
    annerivendellposted 11 years ago

Okay, this is gonna sound crazy...but here goes anyway: Some time when you have some peace and quiet, sit down, close your eyes and think about your neighbour. But instead of thinking of all the horrible stuff she does, find ONE positive thing about her. It could just be that she has nice clothes, nice eyes, nice teeth, maybe keeps her own house clean and tidy...anything, however minor and seemingly irrelevant. You will find something if you think for long enough. Now, once you've found it, find another...it's usually easier this time. Try to find as many as you can, and do it as often as you can, though best NOT to do it whenever you're angry with her.  Why?  Because firstly it's better for YOU not to feel angry at her, and secondly, you may be surprised at some changes in your neighbour. This has worked for me. First time I heard it, I thought as you probably are thinking-that IS crazy! But I tried it for a week. End of the week, my neighbour knocked on my door one evening. I thought "What now?" as I opened it. She handed me a potted plant and said "I know I've been pretty horrible to you lately, I've been going through a really tough time and took it out on those around me. Please, accept this as my apology." I was left holding the plant, dumbstruck, as she turned and walked away. I won't say she never bothered us again, but there was a noticeable improvement.

Great tip Anne! I don't think you are crazy. My husband and I did a meditation, and it involved changing my perception and asking her what she wanted. The answer I got was love. I softened and she has harassed us less as a result. No plant though!

6. anoocre8ion profile image61
    anoocre8ionposted 10 years ago

There are many ways of dealing with a horrible neighbor.  Sometimes, that person is horrible because they are miserable inside.  I live in the country and a couple years ago, some city dwellers moved into a house in front of me.  I have chickens, horses, dogs and cats and the city dwellers were furious.  I am not the only person out here who has animals.  We all live in the country with acreage for a reason.  I tried to talk to my neighbors to no avail.  They would call the law anytime we had a bonfire, etc, yet they played their music loud enough to hear in my living room with my tv on.  In the end, the best ways I have found to deal with unpleasant neighbors are not that complicated.  Talk with them, first.  If you cannot come to an agreement, then leave them be.  Sometimes, it might be that a person needs to plant something that literally makes a barrier between themselves and the neighbor.  You can plant tall flowers or hedges that will keep your place from prying eyes. The thing I have found that works the least is to fight with the neighbor.  Judicial use of ignoring goes a long way as does attempting to make peace.  When all else fails, that barrier I suggested may be the best solution since you can have privacy and it can be a thing of beauty to look at.

7. Penny G profile image60
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Had neighbor once who slit my children's ball when it went over the fence. THen he would throw it back over. Mean guy. He had a really nice wife. I stopped her one day in the drive way and sad I was so sorry to have to have this talk, but hoped she could help. I was nice, gave her the balls. There were new ones in the yard a couple days later and never had the problem again.

Relationshipcposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes  - He was all about his territory. That is something I know well! My neighbor just put a line of rocks between our yard to let us know where our grass is and where hers is. Guess she is never going to change.

2. Penny G profile image60
      Penny Gposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice maybe you should add to their beauty by painting them, she might think it was nice and help, and then a new friendship could bloom!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)