Are beauty pageants detrimental to young girls?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. tammyswallow profile image91
    tammyswallowposted 11 years ago

Are beauty pageants detrimental to young girls?

A pageant mom may loose custody of her daughter for dressing her toddler up as Dolly Parton with breast and butt inflatables. Are pageants hurting young girls?

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

Yes, there is no excuse for the sexualization of such young girls.  It is my opinion that the moms on that Toddler's and Tiara's show need to have their heads examined.  In this case, the father of the girl wants sole custody because he does not approve of this lifestyle for his daughter.  He sees the risks it poses and kudos to him for standing up for his young daughter.

We should be teaching our girls that they are valuable for more than being pretty - that intelligence, independence, and strength are the primary objectives of being a great woman - not how trashy you can be.  If grown women want to objectify themselves - that's on them, but it has no place with tiny girls who get no say in the matter.

3. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Tammy.....When taken to the ridiculous extreme as apparently the mom in question did......it appears this is detrimental to both child and Mom.   There are limits to everything....a happy medium to adhere to.  Those who are eccentric or over the top, take things too far and can destroy the original intention of a concept.
    Perhaps simple talent competition for youngsters would be OK......without all the pomp and make-up and crazy antics.
    Moms need to get real.  ALL children are precious and beautiful... Don't need to parade them around on stage to get attention or accolades.  For heaven's sake...let your child be a child...!!!

4. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Yes, in the cases where the child is dressed up with so much make-up like a 23 year old and under constant stress to perform a certain way.  Plus it is very dangerous if the motive is to please the parents for whatever reason, as that sends a terrible message to the child.  I've heard that these things a very competitive!  Ridiculous.

All children are beautiful and should be able to enjoy their childhood.

But if it is just a simple contest where they can be themselves, that might be different.

5. lindiesl profile image59
    lindieslposted 11 years ago

I think they most certainly can be. Now I don't know if a mother should lose her child over dressing her up ridiculously (I am sure there would have to be a lot more to that) but I know I absolutely can not take that show 'Toddlars and Tiara's". As a mother of 3 girls it literally turns my stomach the way that a lot of these moms sexualize their babies in Madonna costumes and fake tans. Pageants like these are only teaching these babies to be provocative and that you can only get somewhere by being beautiful but everything about their beauty is fake. Mixed message? They are ruining these little girls at making friends and teaching them poor values because they have to distance themselves from their 'competitors'.  Their innocence is taken from them without abandon.

I know not all beauty pageants are like this and they do have natural pageants that seem to be more about self esteem, talent and the girls in a positive direction. I wouldn't put my daughters in one personally but I don't think something like that is harmful. I guess a parent should really take a good look at what they are exposing their child to above what they want to do through their child.

6. mismazda profile image60
    mismazdaposted 11 years ago

Now days I think it is detrimental. These parents go way too far with these pagents. Whatever happen to fun, cute pagents. Where little girls hoola hooped, singed or played piano as an act. Now , it is little girl who wears the most makeup, has the highest hair do, and has perfect teeth. UGHHHHH...it is just too much. I can not stomach the shows on tv. It is one thing to let your chld compete in a friendly, fun competition, but the ones now are not friendly at all. The pagents today focus on winning the crowns, the money, and all about GLORy....

7. miss1magination profile image67
    miss1maginationposted 11 years ago

Yes. I have watched those shows although I don't agree with them. I really don't understand why parents dress their children in such a way(for prizes) it's just not healthy for young girls to wearing makeup or struting their body in such a way.
    Totally not right!

8. mvillecat profile image67
    mvillecatposted 11 years ago

As a person living in the land of Honey Boo Boo, I can tell you everyone in our town really hates what this mom is doing to her child. Plus, it is bringing our community to the world in a very bad light. This particular family is over the top and are quite disgusting. I run into them at Walmart all the time.

9. LouTucci profile image75
    LouTucciposted 11 years ago

For my answer to this question, you should check out my hub...Hey Hollywood, Leave Our Kids Alone!....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)