What makes a person exceeding beautiful or handsome? Why beauty/handsomeness m

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

What makes a person exceeding beautiful or handsome?   Why beauty/handsomeness matter

particularly in this postmodern society? Despite the adage that beauty/handsomeness is only skin deep, looks do matter.   In fact, the more attractive a person is, the more privileges he/she receives.    In this image obsessed society, particularly the entertainment business, doors are opened for those who are  beautiful/handsome which are NOT OPENED for the plain to homely.     Attractive people are treated better and usualy earn more than those who are not blessed in the looks department.

2. heatherleex profile image62
    heatherleexposted 11 years ago

I don't think it's much different in today's society, but what is deemed as attractive has changed.

It will continue to change, but "attractive" people will always be treated as if they deserve special attention.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Beauty to the human eye = balance. That's why we admire well proportioned--balanced--faces. That's why some art is enduring. The Mona Lisa painting is balanced in dozens of ways.

Unbalanced stuff is ugly,

2. heatherleex profile image62
      heatherleexposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm speaking more about the trends.  There are certain styles (hair and body types included) that become popular, and are known as "hot", so many people attempt to look that way.  What becomes popular amongst the majority is what causes the changes.

3. Michelle Taylor profile image61
    Michelle Taylorposted 11 years ago

It sounds incredibly cliche but beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.  One person might find super skinny super model type girls attractive where others are repulsed by them and consider them to be bony instead of beautiful and prefer a more voluptuous appearance.  One person might think sharp features on a man makes him took to stern or unapproachable while another might find it to give him character and admire him for it. 

I do agree that unfortunately appearance is important in the professional world. However a "plain" person can become beautiful by simply changing their wardrobe and hair and actually wearing makeup.  The same can be said for men as well.  Washing your hair and keeping it maintained can do wonders for your appearance.  Also most guys can never go wrong with a pair of khakis, well fitted button up and a tie. 

Wardrobe and hair changes are great for improving the first impression and then you can dazzle them with your charm and wit and become even more attractive in a persons eyes.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, however, beauty is beauty no matter what one does and if one is very aethestically challenged so to speak, no amount of clothes and personality will make such a person attractive!

2. Michelle Taylor profile image61
      Michelle Taylorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Asking "what is beauty" is a lot like asking "what is normal".  The answer is going to be different for everyone.  What do you consider to be the traits of an "aesthetically challenged" person?

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A person who would be considered homely or even ugly according to the societal/majority consensus.   A person who is hard on the eye so to speak and is generally repulsive.   Each time you look at such a person, you wince as if in pain!

4. Jynzly profile image64
    Jynzlyposted 11 years ago

Before anything else, let me say that I like your questions, (if I am not mistaken, this is the third time I answer your question) they really make sense to me.
    Now for your question.
    I can only speak for myself since the subject "beauty" is really a controversial issue. What is beautiful to one may not be beautiful to another...it's a matter of individual perception that is influenced by culture and one's exposure to the media as well as how one is being treated (as far as his/her own beauty is concerned) by society, beginning in the home environment and the public as a whole. And one more, it is also influenced, most importantly by one's perception on his own look or attractiveness.
    Generally, beauty is a matter of perception and illusion. I would rather say degree of attraction instead of beauty. Personally, I don't consider myself beautiful as far as our Filipino standard of beauty is concerned but my experiences show that wherever I go and whatever I want, such as applying for a job, buying things in the mall, or being in an office for some things to accomplish, among others, I always make a good first impression so that people would give me special treatment. If I would listen to what colleagues, friends, and even strangers would say...all of them agree that I got "sex appeal" or "X-factor" or "animated beauty" or "photogenic" in my photos. The bottom line is that beauty can be translated into "degree of attractiveness". In this sense, I can say that beauty is enhancing one's uniqueness in looks rather than trying to look like a xerox copy of everyone else.
    The general and universal rule is that every unique thing is a thing of  beauty in its own right and this uniqueness when enhanced makes one look very highly attractive.

5. TheSingularity profile image59
    TheSingularityposted 11 years ago

There have been a few good psychological experiments related to this. First, it is known that a person with a symmetrical face is rated as more attractive than those without symmetry. This may be an evolutionary phenomena, as a symmetrical person may have better health and genetics, thus the offspring may be healthier. Second, it has been discovered that a computer-generated "average" face from a large population is rated higher than other faces on an attractiveness scale. This means individuals who represent the features of the human race evenly are more attractive. Finally, there is some research that attraction on an individual level can occur because of body odor. If you find the natural scent of someone to be appealing, it is likely that they have a very different set of genetics and immunities than you do. By breeding with them, your children will have a stronger immune system and a well balanced genome.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)