What do you think would happen if health insurance became outlawed?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. andrew savage profile image59
    andrew savageposted 11 years ago

What do you think would happen if health insurance became outlawed?

Pertaining insurance companies, I want to know what regular people think about the health industry, or more properly: the Health Service sector of society. Would it be easier for doctors, and society, to weed out insurance fraud, and cut the costs of private, public/government spending? What other industries or services would see an increase, or decrease, in revenue? How would this effect our future generations, and especially those alive now? Would the government, or private lawyers, step in during events such as malpractice?
    Please carefully think such a scenario over prior to responding.

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

Without health insurance, there would be no health care, unless health care was nationalized, which would take the incentive away from doctors knowing that years of extra education for a specialty was not going to produce some financial reward.

I had colon surgery in 2012. The retail cost was $100,000 plus. Insurance brought the cost down to about $60,000. If the cost had been only $30,000, I would have been force to take out a loan to pay for it and pay interest on the loan. For the record, I was in the ER for a day, had numerous x-rays, an MRI and cat scan, spent seven days in intensive care, seven days in a regular room, took a ton of antibiotics and pain killers and was being fed nutrients through an IV. It was also a private room. I had my regular doctor, the surgeon and the gastroenterologist checking on me and needed an anesthesiologist involved in the process. Rightnow, being 61 and unemployed I would gladly work for insurance without pay instead of having to deal with the wannabe insurance that i am forced to buy because of pre-existing conditions. I have done a hub about this you may want to check out.

andrew savageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This seemed like a very good answer when I first read it, nonetheless I gave it a couple days to lull over in the background and consider you answer. While it is a decent answer... There are many grey areas that I cannot let stand without question. W

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can understand, but this was a response to a question and not a fully researched hub. Tell me your gray areas and I will be happy to try and address them.

3. sweetie1 profile image50
    sweetie1posted 11 years ago

In countries where there is not much health Insurance like India, a big medical treatment can leave a family broke. Even though we have Medical Insurances but only 4 or 5% are insured because no one wants to pay on yearly basis. And to talk about nationalized health service, we have that too but everyone knows how bad shape that is usually in and well doctors are so over worked there. I have seen a doctor treating more than 200 patients a day so he gives just one or two minutes to a patient. Thats why nearly everyone goes in private sector for operations and other treatments. It might bring the cost of treatment down if there is no insurance but even the down cost would be many times higher than what you pay with the insurance. ofcourse if hospitals are not paid enough then they definitely would bring down the level of service and treatment ( which none of us want) and death rate would increase. The first effect on future generation would be probably many wont be born or born dead as  hospitals in govt sectors dont invest so much in hospitals as private hospitals do.

andrew savageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you think that their is a likelihood of medical costs being driven up by artificial intervention such as greed by insurance companies, medical supply manufacturers, etcetera?

2. profile image0

Retail costs of health care are being driven up because insurance pays less and less. We have to find a common ground or method for insurance companies to come up with reasonable reimbursements and help doctors develop reasonable rates.

4. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 11 years ago

Medical costs were lower before insurance AND before government involvement. We'd see costs fall due to competition, as costs for laser eye surgery and cosmetic surgery have fallen in their free market niche of the medical field.
    Malpractice needs to be reined in. Medical award caps should be high, but capping pain and suffering would save us all a fortune. Doctors are sued for things they did not cause, because the loser pays nothing and potentially hits the lottery. Shifting to a loser pays would reduce the number of frivolous malpractice suits that cost doctors tens of thousands of dollars in malpractice insurance each year, increasing costs for the rest of us.

1. profile image0

'd like to know what you mean before insurance. I am 62, and have been covered by some type of insurance all of my life. You are not going to end malpractice suits. In my state to sue a doctor to have to go before a medical board composed of doctors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)