Who is your favorite classical writer? Please provide name and books that you l

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Wesley Clarkposted 11 years ago

Who is your favorite classical writer?  Please provide name and books that you like.

I am always wanting to read great authors and stories.  Please share your favorites.  Share more than one if you wish.  My favorites are Fyodor  Dostoyevsky -  (My favorite - The idiot) and The Brothers of Karamozov.  Voltaire - Candide.  Mikhaíl Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita.

2. StandingJaguar profile image69
    StandingJaguarposted 11 years ago

John Milton: "Paradise Lost" and "Paradise Regained". Avoid "modernized" translations. I have Hackett's publication.

Judging from your list above, you may have already read Tolstoy's "War and Peace." I recommend the Pevear & Volokhonsky translation.

Your list was all literature, but if you'd like to read some philosophical or scientific writings, I can recommend some of those too smile

1. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paradise Lost in an excellent choice.

2. Nellieanna profile image68
      Nellieannaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your literary choices would indicate that your non-fiction choices would be excellent too!

3. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 11 years ago

Thomas Hardy - "Far From the Madding Crowd."  One of the best classic novelists out there, with a grasp of vocabulary and language that is mind-blowing, and an understanding of the human condition that is at once universal, touching, and profound. 

Other famous books by Hardy:
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles
    The Mayor of Casterbridge
    Jude the Obscure
    The Return of the Native
    The Woodlanders
    Under the Greenwood Tree

Hardy comes very highly recommended.

Thomas Hardy is a good choice.

An excellent writer!  These replies are inspiring me to dust off some classics and re-read them!

4. Rod Marsden profile image66
    Rod Marsdenposted 11 years ago

My all time favourite would have to be British writer Charles Dickens. There are the Christmas stories including A christmas Carol. Then there are novels such as A Tale of Two Cities, The Adventures of Oliver Twist, and Hard Times. He was one of the great humanitarian writers of the Victorian age.

Another favourite of mine would be Samuel Clemens who is better known as Mark Twain. I have a fondness for his banned books such as Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Present day writers, including script writers (Family Ties), have fought to keep this book in circulation. It was once banned in the South for being too anti-slave. Even though it was written well after the American Civil war, the subject of slavery was still a touchy one when it first saw print. This should always be remembered. Now people wish to ban it because the author was using the colourful language of his time which today is not considered to be politically correct.

My third choice would be Rudyard Kipling. If you wish to understand India in the 19th Century then Kim is an excellent place to start. India is there, warts and all, with no cover up concerning what the British were up to. In reading Kim, you can understand more clearly why the people of India were so determined to get their freedom from British rule. Kipling's Jungle Books plus Kim were used by Robert Baden-Powell to start the Boy Scout movement.

1. Nellieanna profile image68

Your choices are among the best of the best!  Of course Dickens was an humanitarian;  he was an Aquarian, the most humanitarian of the signs (mine, too, btw).  I grew up reading Mark Twain, & "If" by Kipling has been my guide since Dad gave it to

5. Nellieanna profile image68
    Nellieannaposted 11 years ago

It's not easy to choose  just one, but I can unhesitatingly name Jane Austen.  She wrote about and from a time in England when women of high class had virtually no rights, the major ones lacking being the right to inherit a father's estate and the right to work and earn money.  This set up some quite dramatic conditions for daughters, especially in families with no sons/brothers.  The estate had to go to the father's closest male relative, even if that heir had never been known to him!  Daughters had to either marry 'well' or depend on the generosity of the male heirs to care for them, which, in cases of unknown heirs, was quite a traumatic prospect, not to mention the tension of hoping to find a suitable husband, especially one that might include love in the mix!  That was a major obsession, as one might expect.  Mothers of daughters were especially solicitous of achieving this outcome! 

Though it might seem that these are just aimed at women readers, that's far from so.  The stories are strong and the male characters are fascinating.  Austen, herself, was set to marry but it fell through.  Her father was a pastor of a church, and  a landowner, but without title.  The family of her beloved didn't approve, which was another factor for women then.  She was a rebel in that she decided to write professionally, in spite of the taboo against it.  The rest is history, as they say.

The most famous of Austen's 6 novels is "Pride and Prejudice", which is a marvelous story. Austen's female heros are inevitably intelligent, witty, independent-minded (in spite of the limitations of the day), and interesting, as she, herself, was.

I have all 6 books and like them all, though not equally.  I also have the film versions on DDV of each of them.  I've 2 film versions of "Pride and Prejudice" and, though each has merit, the best is the BBC production.

The others (in order of my preferences) are:

Sense and Sensibility
    Persuasion
    Mansfield Park
    Northanger Abbey
    Emma

It is a choice I would not only agree has merit  but one also the author of Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury, saw merit in. Apparently he liked Pride and Prejudice.

I didn't know that!  Thanks, Rod!  Bradbury is quite a writer himself!  "Persuasion" is mentioned in the movie, "The Lake House", by the way.  Each of the 6 of  her books is unique, though with that overriding social situation of the time dominating.

6. MGSailors profile image60
    MGSailorsposted 11 years ago

Homer : Iliad & Odyssey
    Friedrich Hölderlin : Hyperion

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I also enjoyed Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamozov. I like Ivan Turgenev's Fathers and Sons as well. As an American history buff, I have to also throw in the Education of Henry Adams by the same.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)