How far would you go to feed your family?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. dorner profile image57
    dornerposted 11 years ago

How far would you go to feed your family?

With the economy being as bad as it, many people are struggling to find ways to feed their families. Some people are even turning to crime to make sure they can feed ther family. How far would you go to put food on the table for your family?

2. Mom Kat profile image78
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

Not to a life of crime, that's for certain. 
    Breaking the law to feed your family just invites you getting caught - your family could lose you to jail!  Then what would they do?
    The risk of having your family taken away or you being taken away isn't worth it.  There are other ways to make it work, legally.

I've struggled to have enough food for my family before.  There are food shelves, county assistance programs, and charities that offer food to the needy - All of which I have had to use before to make sure I could feed my kids.  NEVER would I turn to crime as an option.
    Also, our extended family does a lot of gardening & farming.  They have offered up shares of their harvests to us in the past when they knew we were struggling.  We've had hunters in the family offer us entire deer before.

So how far would I go - I would lean on my support system & available resources.  That's what they are there for.  They know that I would do the same for them - because I have.

3. Rosana Modugno profile image72
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

I have struggled and I've never turned to crime.  But I can't honestly say I wouldn't if circumstances were different.  For example, if I didn't speak English, had no family left or friends to speak of, and I was kicked out of my place with no money, no job, taken by surprise with children to support, there is no way I would allow them to starve.  I would do whatever I needed to do, no matter how ugly I had to turn.  My children's survival is the reason I am here, so I would have to die sacrificing myself in order for them to live.  It would be worth it.

4. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

as far as needed. the economy isn't that bad, at least not here but if it was, nothing would stop me from feeding my family including crime.

5. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I live in Greece and that question has often crossed my mind. While my children are out of work and my husband is being laid off next week, we're still doing alright. But not for long because I make about 530 Euros a month. That is gone in a few hours with the taxes and an expensive life sustenance (wages keep falling, the cost of living keeps rising). It's like giving somebody in a pit hole an oiled rope to climb out. No way he'll get far. But honestly, in order to feed my family I can't see myself committing any type of crime other than stealing food and then I'd have to be in a tremendously pitiful state.

6. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

In the past, I have used food pantries, assistance programs, cleaned houses, collected cans alongside the road, asked the church for help, sold my collectibles and antiques that I inherited(that hurt), pawned my mother's wedding ring (after she died), and anything else that I could think of. I have never committed a crime. I always have something worth selling. My time or my possessions, it doesn't matter which.

7. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Crime does not pay....EVER.  In this country, it's not necessary to turn to crime in order to eat and/or feed your family.  There are umpteen charities, churches, city missions, soup kitchens, community food pantries and of course, Social Services/Food Stamps.  Let's not disregard family, friends and neighbors too.  I personally, don't know of anyone who would not offer a meal to a family that is starving......but, like I said, starvation should not even happen in our country.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)