Do you suffer from back pain? If so, what do you do to get some relief from it?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Sushma Webber profile image72
    Sushma Webberposted 11 years ago

Do you suffer from back pain? If so, what do you do to get some relief from it?

I have suffered from back pain since I over-strained it while working on computers five years ago. I have tried acupuncture and other things but still have not found a solution. I am planning to do back strengthening yoga poses. Any other suggestions?

2. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

I injured my upper-back 18 years ago while lifting weights in a gym. Two years later I injured my lower back moving heavy furniture up steep stairs.

I do take a little pain medication now and then, but I have found massages help a little. Other than that, I still try to lift light weights to strengthen my back and keep it as flexible as can be. Best of luck to you and I hope you can recover. - C.J.

Sushma Webberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks CJ for your encouraging words. I too will try out weights and flexibility exercises.

3. ThompsonPen profile image67
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

I'm 25 and I have already had two separate back injuries which has left me out of work for a bit. It doesn't take much for me to turn the wrong way and be down again for a couple days. The best thing I can do is take a hot epsom salt bath with lavender in it. I also have a hemp salve that I rub on the troubling spots which lends some help. It also has comfrey in it.

Hi ThompsonPen, I had heard about epsom salts. Sorry to hear about your back injuries. I know what you mean when you say I can be down again for a couple of day when you make a wrong move.

4. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

Believe it or not, I just finished writing a hub on a pain relief method - http://goody5.hubpages.com/hub/Q-Ray-Miracle-Bracelets and it seems to be doing the job.

Thanks Goody5. I recently heard about garments which help with increasing negative ions in the body.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

i work in construction and my back hurts regularly. i don't like prescription drugs but when i get home from work and my back hurts , i smoke a bit of pot and i feel a heck of a lot better. i relax also more and it helps my back relax.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

" i smoke a bit of pot and i feel a heck of a lot better." Why am I not surprized? My friend, your personality profile is becoming a little clearer to me with each new post.  :0)

2. Sushma Webber profile image72

I don't think I will be smoking pot!! Relaxing the back muscles is a good idea. I try and lie on my back with my knees bent pointing to the ceiling. I also try and do the corpse pose
      http://sushma-webber.hubpages.com/hub/C … e-Savasana

3. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

CJ? why are you against pot too.you will never be clear to me.i run a successful business and have a great family but i smoke pot. i guess i'm going to your hell. darn.

4. profile image0

I never said you were going to Hell...you did.

5. mtkomori profile image89
      mtkomoriposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is an interesting debate here. Just how effective is pot (marijuana) on back pain? Did you know that it's also effective on alleviating menstrual cramps? Queen Victoria was apparently prescribed with marijuana for menstrual cramps!

6. ThompsonPen profile image67
      ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have friends who apply it topically, as have I, in form of a salve. It seeps into the muscles and doesn't get a person high. It's pretty effective, especially when combined with lavender

6. multiculturalsoul profile image70
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

First, I lost 30 pounds. My back ached from the extra weight! Second, I invested in a MUCH better mattress/box spring. I spent three times as much as my cheap self normally would have spent, but it has paid off. And finally, I swallowed my pride and stopped acting like a 25-year-old (I'm nearly 50). I now have my strapping sons do all my heavy lifting.

1. profile image0

Smart...smarter...and smartest yet. :0)

Yes I agree, losing weight would be a good idea but with the constant pain I was unable to do any exercises. I am a vegan and so don't eat dairy, meat or eggs.

7. wtaylorjr2001 profile image61
    wtaylorjr2001posted 11 years ago

I humbly suggest that you make sure you are well hydrated. Drink water. Practice the following until it's second nature:

Get into the most comfortable position you can. Take a deep breath and relax as much as you are able to. This will improve with practice.

Allow yourself to become aware of the sensation where your pain is. Allow your body to experience, to feel the pain. As you feel the sensation of pain in your body, at that certain location, imagine a ball of red light. As you see the ball of red light, allow yourself to feel the pain in your body. Continue for moment after moment feeling the sensation of pain, and seeing the red ball of light. Notice the intensity of the red ball of light as you feel the intensity of the pain in that certain place. As you look at the ball of light, and increase the brightness of the light by only a little, feel the pain in that certain location increase just a little. As you feel the increase in pain when you see this brighter light, you may begin to realize that it is possible to control your perception of pain. Increase the brightness of the light a little more and feel the corresponding pain increase a little more.

Then decrease the brightness of the light by just a little and feel the pain decrease by just a little. Decrease the brightness again and feel the pain decrease. Keep decreasing the brightness and the pain until you get to the level of brightness and pain that you started at. And continue. Just a little bit dim the brightness of the ball, and feel your pain lessen. Continue to dim the brightness and decrease your sensation of pain.

Practice this again and again, but be warned of one thing. When you control your pain don't eliminate it. It is a system that alerts you to a problem. Regular breaks from your computer, get up, stretch, and get exercise should help a lot.

I believe this should help you as you practice.

Thanks wtaylorjr2001, I will try this out.

8. old albion profile image61
    old albionposted 11 years ago

Hi Sushma. I am 68 and speak from experience. When you go to bed at night, put three pillows under your legs below your knees so that they are bent upwards. This lifts the weight from your lower back and releases muscle tension through the night. You will soon get used to the pillows under your legs, after two or three nights I think you will notice a difference. Please try it, it's free and it works.
    Good Luck.
    Graham.

1. tandaa profile image61
      tandaaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried 'water therapy'?
      drinking 1 litre of water every morning the first thing when you wake up before you do anything else. Then stay for 45min-1hour before your breakfast. I tried this and it helped alot.

Hi Grahama and tandaa, thanks for your suggestions about the pillows and water therapy? I usually forget to drink water. I tried the pillow under my knees some days ago. Will try it again.

9. profile image50
    ilmiguyposted 11 years ago

yoga is good.. but i will give you a very natural advice. Before going to bed, drink one glass of HOT milk. do it for one week. and let me know

1. ftclick profile image56
      ftclickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Be careful, some yoga poses are not recommended at all when you have back problems as it can aggravate it more.

10. artist101 profile image61
    artist101posted 11 years ago

I just wrote a blog about a new product that just came out. It works on the same principal as the yoga ball, except that it is more stable.http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=8802968684807894443#editor/target=post;postID=4272254583095784247 Water, b complex, and light streching also help. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer, as it calms inflammatory conditions and is very healing to tendons, and will help to calm the muscle tension. I eventually had to go to a chiropractor, and get muscle relaxers to get it to calm down. For other measures, and recommendations:
    http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/Natur … ney-Stones
    Inflammation Treatment, Breaking the Common Thread of Inflammatory Conditions. Natural Pain Relief

Thanks artist101, yes proper nutrition will help with all the minerals, especially magnesium. Thanks for the reminder.

2. artist101 profile image61
      artist101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

you are welcome

11. mtkomori profile image89
    mtkomoriposted 11 years ago

For me, acupuncture has helped. But it took a few months to alleviate the back pain which I've had for over 3 years.

12. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

You have to walk more, while walking tighten your stomach muscles for 5 seconds and do this in intervals. Your lower back muscles are weak and unfortunately as we age it lets you know in the form of pain. I found this out with a herniated disc but I always did exercise even though it has decreased over the years.
    Plus, I was showing off to my kid that I could still do a certain pilates pose that brought nerve pain to my whole left leg and then kaboom! no more walking, just holding onto walls to get to other rooms. sitting was the worst pain so bathroom breaks were just overwhelming. You don't ever want this pain. take care of it now. Good luck.

Hi ftclick, thanks for your answer. It is really helpful. I make sure not to lift anything heavy.

13. viewfinders profile image72
    viewfindersposted 11 years ago

just stand up and do some massage or do simple yoga steps

14. profile image0
    mayank786posted 11 years ago

i dont have such type of problem but my dad have so when he suffer from back pain he use some good ointment prescribed by doctor and take relief.

15. Ashli Eker profile image60
    Ashli Ekerposted 11 years ago

Hi Sushama,

It is sad to hear that you have back pain. Remember, you now have a back injury for life! So you have to maintain whatever you choose to treat it on a regular basis.

I have two slip disks  - I got them at the age of 19. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET AN OPERATION. The best thing to do is strengthen your core muscles (abdominal muscles). The reason for this is because you want your stomach working to support your back, and not your back muscles spasm-ing under the weight of your body.

Also, you want to be using the correct muscles. This is why I started pilates. I am learning how to walk, breathe and move again.

Yoga is also a good way of treating back injury HOWEVER you must be careful that you find a teacher that will be able to look after you properly and has a deep understanding of back injuries - not someone who did a month-long course.

Just be careful in your movements - and don't try to be superman -don't lift ANYTHING smile

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ashli Eker, I will definitely bear your points in mind. There is a pilates studio near by. maybe I will make enquiries.

2. Ashli Eker profile image60
      Ashli Ekerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You won't regret it !!! smile

16. J. Biaza profile image60
    J. Biazaposted 11 years ago

Back pain, the plague of so many people young and old.  I think if we knew and understood our backs and what causes pain, we would take care of our backs so much better.  Yes, I have back pain, and no I haven't found a solution.  There are just good days and not so good days. 
    Keep moving, exercise correctly, know the signs of your back and when you are stressing it. 
    Keep family and friends at hand, because nothing is better than having some help during those bad back days.
    Have a blessed day.

Hi J. Biaza, sorry to see you too are suffering. Yes you are right about good days and bad days. Will keep it in mind and also watch out for what causes the stress.

17. sleepylog profile image59
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

Yoga will help strengthen your back muscles as well as improve your range of movement. Ibuprofen tablets taken over several days can also help as they have an anti-inflammatory action, you may have to take a few doses before you notice any results, so don't give up on them if you don't experience relief right away. Don't take them for more than a couple of weeks and don't exceed the recommended dosage on the pack. There are also a few contra-indications so check with your doctor or pharmacist before you start taking them.

Hot and cold therapy can also help, basically where you alternate between applying hot packs and cold packs to the affected area. You should be able to find some information online about how to best do this.

yes I have been reading on how best to deal with it and am going to try yoga again. The physio has already given me some exercises that have helped to relieve the pain.

2. sleepylog profile image59
      sleepylogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's great, I'm glad they're working for you. All the best with it.

18. Ciel Clark profile image74
    Ciel Clarkposted 11 years ago

Whenever I get a back spasm from lifting or a sudden movement, lying on the floor on a tennis ball seems to relax the pinched muscle.  (Position the tennis ball under the sore spot and roll gently, relaxing into the pain).  For pain from sitting too long in one position I would recommend yoga stretches-- downward facing dog, + cat/cow.
    The tennis ball thing though is something i wouldn't have thought of, but is amazing and can turn a couple of weeks of pain into only a day or two.

Thanks Ciel Clark for your suggestions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)