Which vegetable or fruit do you think is the hardest to grow?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. sleepylog profile image60
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

Which vegetable or fruit do you think is the hardest to grow?

Which vegetable or fruit have you tried to grow unsuccessfully even after repeated attempts?
    For me it's Capsicum, I just seem to have an eternal battle against snails and slugs who just love to eat my Capsicum seedlings.

2. cajunrooster profile image60
    cajunroosterposted 11 years ago

Hi sleepylog! I can't seem to grow radishes!! I just can't get them to grow for whatever reason. They should grow quick and easily from everything I have ever read and know but I just can't get them to do right in my garden. I try every year though and I will continue to do so. I wont ever give up.

sleepylogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did try to grow radishes once and like you I didn't have any success. I did it for my kids so they could see fast results as they were young and I wanted to get them interested in gardening. We don't eat them so I never bothered with them again.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Hello sleeplog,

Artichokes are my nemesis. They are not only very temperature sensitive, artichokes also have problems with aphids. This green plant-sucking insect can stunt the leaves and can also spread viruses that can hurt the plant. This is a constant battle. Merry Christmas!

Thank you, Merry Christmas to you too!
      I've never tried growing artichokes as we don't eat them, so I can't offer you any advice, but I hope you'll find success with them some day.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image90
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Celery, I always end up with a rather pathetic looking specimen at the end of it, but I suspect it is the soil I am growing it in that is the problem as it is heavy clay (although celery is naturally a bog plant). I have given up on it now and grow many other types of veg instead, safe in the knowledge I am usually very successful.

I'm growing Celery for the first time at the moment. I've heard it can be a challenge to grow it though. So far 've just little seedlings so it's hard to tell how it's going to go. Glad you're having success with other veg though, it's so rewarding.

5. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

Hardest over all? I don't know. Though I do know that I have tried and tried and tried and had little to no luck with basil.

Sorry to hear about your battle with Basil. I tried to grow it one year but snails and slugs kept eating the seedlings. There are so many of them around here that it's futile growing anything they like to eat. I know Basil likes to grow in the sun.

6. KerryAnita profile image82
    KerryAnitaposted 11 years ago

Pumpkins, because I live an Florida and the humidity and salt air rots them immediately! I'm determined to grow one, one day though!

Oh dear, not good news for me then. I live in a humid, salty environment and am growing pumpkin for the first time. So far I have one female flower that has been fertilised and it's now a golf ball-sized green fruit. Wish me luck!

7. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

Watermelon. They are supposed to be easy to grow, but whenever I try to grow them, they don't seem to grow beyond the germination stage.

I think they need a sunny position, rich organic soil and nitrogen- based fertiliser (green grass clippings are good for this) until they start to flower, then replace with a carbon-based fertiliser (compostable food scraps are ideal).

8. Blond Logic profile image94
    Blond Logicposted 11 years ago

Ginger. I have read how easy it is. Yet I still haven't been able to successfully accomplish it. One woman said, she basically ignores it and it grows. Not for me it doesn't.

I've never tried to grow ginger and don't know anything about it. Does the women live in your area? Could be a climate or soil thing.

9. Goody5 profile image58
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

I've never had any good luck with growing corn. I'm a pro with tomatoes on the other hand.

Tomatoes are my favorite too smile

Corn needs to be grown from a certain kind of seed that has been coated in a special powder... I have a friend who grows it very successfully, I'll ask him and get back to you.

10. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 9 years ago

For me. It is the cucumber' plant. Or any other plant that it is fragile. The weather is hot that any plant get dry fast. Unless, I find a green house to keep it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)