What was your hardest year of marriage? And why?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years ago

What was your hardest year of marriage? And why?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7522503_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

The hardest year of my marriage was 2004. I came home from work one evening to a "Dear John letter." We were divorced 3 months later. This is what someone deserves after 18 years of being together? I still don't think so, but I have learned to accept it  long ago and have moved on from that situation.

ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am very impressed that you have been able to move on from something so painful. I appreciate that you took the time to share. I do hope that things continue to get more joyful for you!

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. Happy New Year!

3. ExpectGreatThings profile image75

You too!

4. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That really sucks, Jeff. You deserve better than that. I am awefully sleepy right now and do not recall off hand, but did you have any children with her? If so, how is that working out?

5. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

JThomp42, That must have been extremely hard, glad you moved on. Did you read my hub: "Love is gone, but not forever"?

6. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey CJ, Thank you. No, no children.
      Hey lupine, Thank you. I'll have to read that. Thanks again.

3. ccurry profile image61
    ccurryposted 11 years ago

The second definitely... after realizing that we weren't living a fairy tale.. Then dying to self over and over... oh sometimes it still hurts.  Haha I love my husband!

Thank you for sharing. I am wondering if most people have a harder time in the first few years. Glad you're still in love smile

2. profile image0

Did he actually think he was living a fairy tale...or was that just you? :0)

ccurryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ cj I think it was just me... lol

4. profile image0

CC: Do you have a theory on why young women believe in a "Fairy-tale" marriage?

4. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years ago

Here's mine (so far!): Year 4. Our son was born and was in pain every day for more than a year. All my husband and I could do was tolerate each other and try to get through another day.

1. ccurry profile image61

Yes that sounds like a hard battle to overcome glad you are past it.

2. profile image0

Been there...done that. Not fun.

5. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

The hardest year will vary from marriage to marriage based upon the challenges a couple may be facing. However assuming everyone is employed, bills are paid, there are no (major disagreements), kids are healthy, or a decision has been made not to have children....etc I suspect year #4 or #5 may be the most challenging. This is right around the time people start to "relax" or begin to take each other a little more for granted.
    There is less effort put into keeping romance and passion alive. If you are not careful you'll start to slip more into a platonic friendship, sibling, or "roommates with the same last name" type of relationship.
    For some people the wedding was their "mission accomplished" moment. Once you stop nurturing a garden it slowly begins to die. If you let things continue to slide or fall into a rut then one day someone leaves or cheats.
    "It's easier to maintain a fire then it is to reignite a spark!"

So true..

2. profile image0

One of the worst things a married couple can do is to forget how to date each other. Time must be set aside for romantic expression or the marriage grows cold (sorry guys, I'm not referring to sex).

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

In 42 years there have been some rough spots. They are few but they were memorable. I would say the first year was the hardest as we were both adjusting to a new dynamic that was supposed to be forever.  It takes a lot of adjustment and compromise.  It's worth it, but hard at the time to go through.

Yes agreed mine too.

2. tussin profile image56
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It probably depends on how long the couple knew each other before being married, and whether they lived together.  For some people the first year of marriage could be the ninth year of being a couple.

3. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@tussin - that is probably very true.  We only knew each other just under 4 mos. when we married and I have to admit, I didn't even know he had a temper. We had a lot to learn that first year.

7. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Every year was a struggle. We were two people that had no business being together. The last year of our marriage (6) found her getting even more violent than usual and also found her in bed with her employer.

We went through a bitter, nasty, and expensive divorce and when the dust settled, I came out of it with full custody of our children and she came out of it with her freedom...a win-win situation for all.

1. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you got the best part...the kids.

2. profile image0

I thought so...and so did my children. :0)

My husband was Married before we too have custody of our  two boys It is so crazy how a mother can make such poor decisions concerning the life they are preparing for the children.. Good for you CJ

4. profile image0

Thanks, CCurry. The problem was that my ex was so absorbed in her own life and with her own wants and needs that she didn't seem to have time to nurture our marriage or our children. The pain she caused I richly deserved...but the wee ones did not.

8. tussin profile image56
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Any year in which a major change occurs is a hard one. A move, the birth of a child, a financial gain or loss, etc.  When these events occur vary from marriage to marriage.

Some think that being married for a long time before any major changes occur helps you weather the changes more easily because you and your partner know each other better.  Some think that it's better to experience challenges earlier in your marriage so that you have more knowledge of how your partner will behave and react in a stressful situation. 

I don't know which view is correct, but I do know that more stress in life equals a higher probability of divorce in general.

1. profile image0

Well done, Tussin. However, I would hope married couples spend sufficient time getting to know each other before marriage, so they do not have to go through trials and tribulations in order to find out how their spouse will behave under pressure.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)