How do you satisfy your urge to travel when you have no money for travel?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

How do you satisfy your urge to travel when you have no money for travel?

My friend Bill got me thinking on this which eventually will become a hub. But as my passion for travel--particularly road trips--is far great than my available funds, I'm curious as to how others satisfy their wanderlust on a shoestring budget.

2. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Once a year, my husband and I go on a camping trip. About once I year, I visit New Orleans with my side of the family as it's difficult for him to get the time off. To be honest, I want to travel more than that. But we are saving up for a cruise next year that should help us enjoy excitement for a while.

JimTxMillerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I admire your discipline to save! Thanks for the answer, and I hope the cruise is all you expect it to be.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I hope you find and enjoy the travel plan that is right for you!

3. purl3agony profile image96
    purl3agonyposted 11 years ago

We've found a number of places to visit and explore within a hour of our home!  Most people might be surprised at the cool museums, historic sites, parks, scenic vistas and other places of interest right in their own backyard (and a lot that they probably didn't even know existed).  The internet is certainly helpful in finding these places, but you could also check visitor's bureaus for places around where you live and the national registry of historic sites.  Looking forward to reading your finished hub!!

Purl, I'd go crazy (okay, crazier) without the walking tours, bike trips and other short hops I can find within an hour or two of home; everything from wine & cheese tastings to full-blown camping out. Thanks for the comment!

2. purl3agony profile image96
      purl3agonyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the vote smile  I'm interested to see the other ideas you share in your hub.

4. worldtravelexpert profile image70
    worldtravelexpertposted 11 years ago

Because I live in London, getting to other countries in Europe can be a really cheap trip. The other week my partner and I left London at 8am on a coach and were in Bruges in Belgium by lunch time. The coach and charming bed and breakfast we stayed at cost next to nothing and we were home in time for work on Monday morning. I definitely think exploring close to home is a good option if your wanderlust outweighs your budget!

I wanted to do the Eurail Pass thing when I lived in Spain but never worked it into my schedule. IF I ever get across the pond again....!

5. lilian_sg profile image63
    lilian_sgposted 11 years ago

I am lucky to be based in Singapore where there are many budget airlines which fly to other Southeast Asian countries nearby, just one to two hours away. For an even cheaper option, I can take a bus across to Malaysia to visit cities like Kuala Lumpur, Malacca etc. Check my hubs for ideas.

Ah, but air travel doesn't work for me, Lilian. The carbon footprint is just too high. I can't justify myself being a part of that. But an Asian bus tour, now, that would be a trip!

6. JessBraz profile image91
    JessBrazposted 11 years ago

My fiance and I are fans of the good old fashioned road trip.. We did on all the way down the eastern coast of the US on our way to Florida two winters in a row (We're from eastern Ontario.) That was our longest road trip.. Took us about 25 hours of straight driving.
    We usually have it in mind to try and do a big-ish trip like that once a year, usually in the winter when we have holidays from work.. So to satisfy us during the summer months we do a lot of camping.. There are some beautiful provincial parks in my area of Ontario and we try and stay at a different one everytime (except for the mandatory trip to Algonquin Provincial Park we do each summer.. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been too)
    We're lucky in that we live in a small town, but it's a town that is so centrally located to some serious major cities (less than an hour to Ottawa, less than an hour to Montreal.. four hours to Toronto, and only six hours away from NYC) So we can spend days walking around a variety of big cities, and when we want to get away from the hustle and bustle, we just go north to camp.

NY State is just below us as well, and they've got some great hiking trails along the highway that goes through the Adirondacks.. If we get up early enough we can get a great day of hiking only an hour from home...

We are also habitual travel website junkies. smile And I subscribe to National Geographic Traveller, just so I can get a taste of other places.

Happy Travels Jim!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)