Is it true that once a Hub gets a NO INDEX tag, due to being unFeatured, Google

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Rock_nj profile image89
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

Is it true that once a Hub gets a NO INDEX tag, due to being unFeatured, Google blacklists the link?

I've heard some Hubbers mention that once a Hub gets a NO INDEX tag, due to being unFeatured by HubPages, that geting the NO INDEX tag removed is not enough to get back in good with Google.  Once a link gets a NO INDEX tag, Google puts it on a black list and continues to ignore it, even after the NO INDEX tag is removed by HubPages (after changes are made to the Hub).  Is this true or just a misunderstanding of how Google operates?

2. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

I was wondering this same thing....actually, is that what it means when the little tag is removed from your hubs, that it's no longer indexed?

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

pardon me, what tag? Where can i find the tag in my hub?

1. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The round tag with an 'H' in it that is listed beside the title of your hub under your 'Hub Statistics' page.

2. Rock_nj profile image89
      Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To be more precise, I am talking about what happens to a Hub in the background to tell Google not to index the Hub because it is not "featured".  This is called the NO INDEX tag,  I heard once a Hub is tagged, it's in the penalty box even if removed.

3. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh... that "H" is called a tag. now I know. So, it means that for those hubs without the "H" cannot be found in goggle search?

4. Rock_nj profile image89

peachpurple - That is correct, hubs without the "H" cannot be found in goggle search.  They are given the NOINDEX tag by HubPages, and that gets removed afer you make change., It appears that Google ingores the Hub even after HP removes NOINDEX.

5. MarieAlana1 profile image68
      MarieAlana1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, my older articles have gotten the H removed and the newer articles have the H. Will that article ever be featured again?

4. theodoresumrall profile image56
    theodoresumrallposted 11 years ago

Hello Rock,

As long as your hub is featured in hubpages.com, it is unlikely that Google will blacklist the link. Even after getting noindex/nofollow tag by hubpages.com due to low score of particular hub or hub profile, Google would continue to cache and index when featured, again.

I believe there is nothing like blacklist for hubs that are unfeatured and re-featured.

Thanks for the response, but it would be nice to hear such a statement from people high up at HubPages.  If it is true that Hubs that get the NO INDEX tag are damaged in Google, then that would be really bad.  Hope this isn't the case.

5. JRGray profile image78
    JRGrayposted 11 years ago

I've read up on this quite a bit, and indeed apparently while a hub is in "Pending" (the swirly icon), or non-featured (no icon at all), the hub's source code has a "NOINDEX" tag. When googlebot sees that, it will 1) not index it, and 2) not come back to the page through the same link it came through the first time (there seems to be disagreement if this is "ever" or "not for a while"). If you get 'unfeatured,' and fix it to become 'featured' again, you will have to work on generating new links or social media references to your page in order for googlebot to re-crawl it and notice the noindex tag is gone. This is furthermore a very good reason not to aggressively social media campaign your hub until *after* the 24 hr quality review.

Thanks for the confirmation that even with NOINDEX removed, your Hubs are penalized for a time by Google.  I wonder if usng the Fetch feature in Google Webmaster tools will force the googlebot to reindex the hubs that have lost the NOINDEX tag?

2. MarieAlana1 profile image68
      MarieAlana1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

With reading this.. I'm a little confused. With that swirly thing still going around I am still getting pageviews as of today to my blogger. These pageviews are directly from "hubpages."

3. Rock_nj profile image89

The NOINDEX tag only affects whether search engines like Google index a hub.  It will still be searchable and linkable in HubPages, so you still could get some traffic.  Also, any backlinks will still send the Hubs traffic.

4. JRGray profile image78
      JRGrayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Rock_nj:  Apparently doing the google fetch command, then clicking "submit to index" sorta kinda does what you want. It clears the hub from google's cache, which seems to force google to notice the noindex tag is gone when it is recrawled.

5. Rock_nj profile image89

Thanks for the Google Fetch info JRGray.  I am familiar with that.  Given this NOINDEX issue, it sounds like its worth doing a Fetch "submit to index" every month or so.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)