What is more important to teach small children in school?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (34 posts)
  1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

What is more important to teach small children in school?

To brush their teeth 2Xs a day?
    Sex education?
    Gun safety?
    Before you answer think seriously, all of these have potentially life threatening implications.

2. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

teaching children the health benefits of proper teeth brushing, proper anatomical functions, and the prevalence of violence, as well as other adversities,  in our society are all important things that should be taught without prejudice, both in school and in the home. 
    'Discussions' of health issues, what motivates violence, and proper anatomy and biology versus 'judging others' is more beneficial to children in the big picture.
    But more important, is that, diversity is good in society, and love, compassion, and tolerance is way better than the alternatives.

1. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Since i can't delete my comment or correct it i can only apologize for misreading the question. Obviously in directing an answer to "small" children, my response is overstated and inappropriate.

2. sarahmoose profile image66
      sarahmooseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I don't think your answer was too overstated. I think its important that children discuss the issues in our world; they are exposed to them from an early age, as they listen to adults talking, or they see the news.

3. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
      ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

d. william i don't think you should apologize.  I agree with your answer and believe with the things happening in the world today, it's never too lTe.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No worries.  I believe that proper dental care is part of sex education. Teaching kids to take care of themselves and treat themselves respectfully reduces victimization.

3. Fastian profile image63
    Fastianposted 11 years ago

Good manners & ethics. Most of the problems would be solved if the focus is on these two things.

1. sarahmoose profile image66
      sarahmooseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you. My daughter's school and nursery have taught her to treat others the way we would like to be treated, always remember manners and to look after each other. They are important lessons that are often missed these days.

4. calynbana profile image78
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

We are talking about small children so the answer is obvious, teeth brushing. They will learn about sexual education when it is developmentally appropriate. As gun violence they are hearing about it outside of school and it is something unnecessary to teach young children. They are still learning the consequences of pushing, and teasing their peers. They will learn about more serious offenses and consequences with time.

The most important thing to teach a child is how to learn, how to research, and to instill them with a love of learning. To do that we need to focus on how we teach not what we teach. This is why I love the Montessori method.

1. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are correct. I overlooked the "small" so my answer should have been more in line with yours. thanks for pointing that out.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60

I like the idea of teaching the love of learning.  That is not what they do in public schools in California/  No love of learning here at all.

5. wayne barrett profile image75
    wayne barrettposted 11 years ago

I would say teeth brushing; we are after all talking about small children. Brushing teeth is learning a basic personal responsibility. If that lesson is mastered by them then they can more readily handle the difficult responsibilities that will come their way.

6. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

I would appreciate if the small children in the very beginning of their life ahead is taught to enjoy life at first and then to enjoy their studies in the school. Because the methods to emphasize the importance of enjoying studies rather then just to study as a duty and a responsibility is very depressing for the early childhood age. if they are taught to enjoy studies and thus their responsibility in a systematic and age relevant way then rest will automatically follow in time.
    Thank you.

7. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

For small children, it is important to teach them, brushing their teeth twice and other ways to keep them clean and germ free.
    Besides teaching them to love each other, their friends, teach them to share and to coexist with each other with love and compassion.
    If the children grow up with the right kind of attitude towards their fellow human beings, other social problems will automatically be in control.

8. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

Please-thank you-handwashing-sharing-respect-listening-naptime ;-) - quiet time- be creative-how to enjoy life-joy and happiness.

Bravo!

9. JCielo profile image81
    JCieloposted 11 years ago

Learning how to brush teeth? If this is what we think is the most important thing to teach young children then, as a society, we have no hope.

The key issues we need to begin teaching young kids are things like having respect for elders, respect for peers, good manners, knowing right from wrong, learning how to take responsibility for one's actions, and that those actions have consequences.

Of course, it should go without saying, instilling in them a hunger for learning.

Finally, I'm a great believer in effective communication skills, which begins with learning how to communicate properly in their native tongue; no street talk nor slang.

All these things can be done in a way that suits a very young mind.

From what I see all around me, many of our schools and a lot of modern parenting, it has to be said, are letting our kids down, and this is just shameful imho.

Completely agree with you.  The point I am trying to make is  teaching care of a child's teeth is a small building block.  Loving adult takes time to teach that which keeps small problems from becoming big.  Bad teeth are painful and impede health.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image94
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

great answer- thank you!!!

10. kj force profile image60
    kj forceposted 11 years ago

The ability to accept all others for who they are and how they treat you, regardless of colour..sharing..learning empathy and apathy..respect... thinking positive..being honest and truthful..and the biggest and most important..learning to take responsibility for their actions and words...this is the basement of life..you can build as high as you want with this foundation.

* empathy and apathy are two major issues lacking in society today...
    ( I care and can I help ? )
    These are character building  lessons....
    Look forward to what others think..good question, thanks for asking..

11. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I can think of far better things to teach children in school. First off, parents should teach children all 3, if they are taught at all.

I would love to see schools teach children to question authority, including their own (humility). I would love to see schools teach children to think on their own -- to do far more than fill in test bubbles. Multiple choice should be outlawed. That's pure laziness.

No student should ever be failed for an entire year. That's a failure of the system! Students should learn at their own pace, otherwise you have half a classroom with students bored out of their minds and the other half overwhelmed, if the teacher attempts to middle-of-the-road it.

Bottom line -- schools should teach none of the 3 items above. That should be parents (or guardians, if the parents are no longer alive).

12. profile image0
    Pamdoraposted 11 years ago

I always believed the most important thing to teach my kids about school was to let me know what the teachers were saying in school and everything else about their school day.  I went to war with more than one teacher, and a couple of principals, too.  Put my little ones in a different school once.  They told me I couldn't do that.  I showed them they were wrong.

Yes, I know the question was about what they should be taught in school, but the first lesson had to be about how to watch out for bad teachers and administrators.  There are more of them out there than most of us would like to think.

13. gosupress profile image60
    gosupressposted 11 years ago

I think

nr.1 = their first language
    nr.2 = math

The rest of the stuff is details. If you help with these they can learn everything else themselves.

14. celeste inscribed profile image89
    celeste inscribedposted 11 years ago

I think self respect, respect for their toys and then respect for others both young and old. They need to know that bad decisions no matter how small come with consequences. Personal hygiene is a great way to teach them self respect but the list is long. I think alot of bullying and bad behaviour comes from low self esteem.

15. Missy Mac profile image68
    Missy Macposted 11 years ago

At an early age, children should learn to love themselves and others.  This will involve emotionally, physically, socially, and academically.  Teaching students how to learn is crucial to developing a love of learning.  When we teach children how to be balance in how they view themselves and others, learners can make appropriate ethical decisions.

16. kidnappedkids profile image87
    kidnappedkidsposted 11 years ago

I think children need to learn that they are good people. My son came home from school calling people "stupid" - a word I forbid in my house. I'm sure he heard it at school. Children believe what people tell them to believe - especially about themselves, and children need to learn that they are good, capable individuals.  The amount of belief they have in themselves determines how far they go in life.

1. celeste inscribed profile image89
      celeste inscribedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. We need to teach children to love themselves so that they can love others. We don't allow the S word in our house either.

17. Theophanes profile image90
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

To get along with each other. Isn't that what kindergarten and preschool is for?! I mean really - children can learn to be these wonderful inclusive little creatures without prejudice or judgement. Of course with that there are two other very important things to go with it - encouraging imagination (it will get them far if they have inventive minds!) and teaching critical thinking skills. Most schools tell kids what to think, not how to think. This pumps out a lot of morons who can't cope with any aspect of life that doesn't have a textbook answer. Not good.

18. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

Naturally, education is a key influence in any child's development of beliefs, and values have one of the largest roles to play in encouraging the growth of a unified national identity. And for the longest time we have accepted this penchant for conformity as the modus operandi of any school.

Nonetheless, mature countries have come to observe that continual adherence to status quo stifles innovation and all manners of diversity.

When nurtured to be ''just like the pros'', special talents still do not get developed and alternative perspectives remain unexplored. With the changing demands of the global market and therein the type of labour needed, schools must stay relevant by either giving free tuition to needy students or come up with alternative assessments if their context allows them to. And I am not concern about what the school teaches, and what subjects are being prioritized. What I am concern about is that schools must never stigmatize underachievers.

19. ytsenoh profile image62
    ytsenohposted 11 years ago

I think one of the most important element to teach a young mind is to never stop using his or her imagination because in so doing, the thought process is growing and stimulated.

20. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

As with most early learning, kids learn by example. If daddy is making misogynistic jokes or leering at women behind mom’s back, little boys will learn to be lecherous cheats who don’t respect women. If mommy refuses to go to an African American doctor, then little girls will learn racism from an early age.

If daddy beats the crap out of mommy and she doesn’t leave, then boys will learn to beat their wives and girls will learn to put up with it. If parents allow toy guns, violent video games, animal cruelty and disturbing adult movies in the home, then you can bet their children will grow up with a violent mentality. It really is up to us, the parents, to help our children create a loving, peaceful world that they can live in long after we are gone.

21. tw6852 profile image57
    tw6852posted 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure that parents can teach small children to brush their teeth or maybe that is too much to ask.  I also think that parents should take the time to teach their children to do things like read and ABC's.  If some of these basic things were covered, we could really move on in our society's education system.  I mean, how hard is it to go over colors with your 4 year old?  Teachers go through extensive schooling and certifications so they can teach concepts better than a normal person or parent.  They don't go through graduate school to repeat silly songs and go over red, blue, green and yellow.

22. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

To take the cotton out of their ears and put it in their mouth.

23. lemonkerdz profile image92
    lemonkerdzposted 11 years ago

Respect!
    once they have that it will give them the best choices in life.
    You can be the cleverest kid in class but without respect its worth nothing.
    All the same later in life learn to respect others will give you a more chances than you could ever imagine.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)