Should someone be kept in solitary for 2 years for drinking and driving?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 11 years ago

Should someone be kept in solitary for 2 years for drinking and driving?

Has anyone heard about this? A man in New Mexico, USA  has been awarded $15.5M for being held in solitary confinement for 2 years without being granted a trial. He was suspected of drinking and driving. I have never heard anything like this in my life.

How do you feel about this? Did he deserve it? Is this atrocious?

2. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

No. But I appreciate that they are getting harder on people who drink and drive. The number of people dying in Texas always looks horrific. He didn't deserve that severe though. Maybe a month would have done fine.

1. cfin profile image65
      cfinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! This case was especially ludicrous though. The guy didn't even get a trial.

3. JEDIJESSICUH profile image76
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 11 years ago

I agree with lburmaster. While I think drinking and driving is terrible and first time and repeat offenders should get more than a slap on the wrist and a ticket, two years in solitary is a bit much. Maybe if they've broken the law half a dozen times and continue to do it, then sure, throw the book at them. However, you said he was "suspected" of drinking and driving. That's not even a positive "hey, this guy's blood alcohol content is well above the legal limit".

1. cfin profile image65

Well until proven guilty at trial....

He was apparently jailed and forgotten about. Very very odd story.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

This type of behavior just shows again how broken our judicial system is. This is ludicrous. But, there are always two sides to every story. Was he withholding his identity? Was he cooperating with the public defender to get him a fair trial? Just some questions that come to mind. But, no this should have never happened. With that said drinking and driving should have stiffer penalties. Just ask the families who have lost loved one's to these stubborn idiots who choose to drink and drive to get from point a to point b. There is always another way, be it inconvenient or not.

1. cam8510 profile image92
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am one of those stubborn idiots and I do not take offense at the reference.  But, an understanding of addiction would help answer the question. "why?".  The penalties in most states are very stiff.  Google Sobriety Court.  It is a wonderful program

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Cam, I am also a recovering alcoholic but have never gotten a DUI. Forgive me if you felt insulted. This was not my intention. I just feel for those who have lost loved ones to so many who choose to drink and drive.

3. cam8510 profile image92
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

JThomp42, no I don't feel insulted.  As you know, recovering alcoholics understand pretty clearly that their behavior while using was extremely harmful to themselves, their families and society in general.  But we can get better, although not cured.

5. cam8510 profile image92
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

For me to actually answer this question would require a lot more information.  Any lawyer worth having would have had that ended pronto.  There is more to this story.  But, for the sake of the conversation here, I'll say a couple more things.  Many states have a law that renders the third DUI a felony.  In those cases, the offenders go to prison.  Maybe the person in question here was serving felony time in a local jail.  I am a member of AA and I rub shoulders constantly with people who have had DUIs.  I myself have two.  When a person is in the thick of addiction, they are likely to commit a variety of irrational, antisocial, criminal acts.  They are like little tornadoes running around making everyone's life they come into contact with miserable.  There should be harsh laws to deal with drunk drivers.  It is one of the ways to get the attention of the person so that he finally admits his powerlessness over alcohol.

1. cfin profile image65

Agreed Cam8510. The problem with this case was that he had no trial and seems to have fallen through the cracks and was forgotten. Some people seem to think he deserved it. He grew fungus on his skin he was in solitary for so long.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)