What's the best way to remove stains from stainless steel?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. innerspin profile image88
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

What's the best way to remove stains from stainless steel?

My son tends to leave food tins standing in the sink soaking, despite repeated requests not to do this. The bottom of the tins leave a black circle on the stainless steel. They are very stubborn stains. Any suggestions to help remove them gratefully received!

2. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Hello innerspin,
    I usually use an SOS pad or a  non-brasive cleanser like BonAmi on my SS sink ,but baking soda sometimes works too. Try to follow the grain" of the stainless steel when working the area. Start w/ the least abrasive or harsh solution first. I keep the finest grade steelwool on hand for my cook top and have used it with a stainless steel cleaner to remove tough residue around my burner plates. Wash well with hot soapy water afterwards. Good luck!

innerspinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, cat on a soapbox. Must say I avoid steelwool, it sets my teeth on edge. I'll try baking soda, not used that. I may get my son to do it......

2. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome! smile

3. MikeNV profile image69
    MikeNVposted 11 years ago

Go to Walmart or other store and get a can or bottle of "Bar Keepers Friend".  It looks like any other cleanser but it will not damage glass or stainless steel.  It's Amazing and has been around for more than a 100 years.  Because they have not sold out to some Giant Mega Corp it can be a little harder to find.  And it's pretty cheap $2-$3.

In fact it's the recommended cleaner by All Clad (Some of the best and most expensive cookware you can purchase).

SOS, Comet, Bon Ami... will scratch your cookware, Barkeepers Friend will not.  It's in a Gold Colored Can.

Another very good product is Cerama Bright which you can get at Home Depot but it's about $7 a bottle.

Oh, that sounds good. Only problem is, I'm in the UK.! thanks for your reply.

4. IDONO profile image61
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

I can't help but think that if it stains, it's not really stainless steel. I mean, stainless steel is called stainless steel for a reason. That's why it's used in all institutional kitchens. Was this a trick question to snare the over-thinkers? Many people mistake aluminum for stainless steel such as kitchen sinks, etc. You can tell by the weight and the cost. They're not even close.

I used to think it didn't stain but a friend pointed out it's stain LESS not stain proof. Like saying a raincoat is water resistant, not water proof. The sink isn't aluminium, but I understand your response.

5. pranavm2 profile image62
    pranavm2posted 11 years ago

use salt lemon and sodium hydrogen carbonate(baking soda) to clean th sink.it will works

6. Okereke Cindy profile image66
    Okereke Cindyposted 5 years ago

Talking about baking soda, it actually works on stained steel. One must however make use of ''baking soda'' and not baking powder, there's a humongous difference between the two.

7. Okereke Cindy profile image66
    Okereke Cindyposted 5 years ago

Talking about baking soda as a stain remover for steel, it works. But one must be careful to make use of ''baking soda'' not baking powder. There's a humongous difference between the two.

8. sharma mukesh profile image48
    sharma mukeshposted 5 years ago

Lemon juice and baking soda can both be used to clean stainless steel, as lemon juice is naturally acidic, while baking soda is naturally abrasive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)