How would you describe healthy self-love and where does it cross the line to bei

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Emanate Presence profile image69
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

How would you describe healthy self-love and where does it cross the line to being something else?

Is it a matter of continually finding balance and re-defining as we learn and grow?

My interest extends to reading what others feel is meant by self. For me, the physical form is the lesser part of it, as it passes and dissipates. Of course, some feel the physical is all there is, or have a Bible-based worldview & I acknowledge those perspectives.

Exploring various ways to look at what is the self, and is there a greater Self, has been a joyful and beneficial process of discovery and realization for me. May write more in my own answer later, first I like to read what you have to say...

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Okay, off the hip, and mad dashes for spelling on Google. For this 'self' the self is not that of the 'self' of Freud's definition of Ego. I prefer and fall along the lines of the symbolic interactionist view. Presented initially with William James with general psychology and then later developed by others like George Herbert Mead. The self is reflexive and malleable. It is comprised of the self as object (the Me) and the self as subject ( the I). These two elements of 'self' interact as a 'self' and of a 'self' within social interactions with anything. Even talking to a rock is an interaction, since the 'I' of Self and the 'Me' of self interact with each other.

For Love I use the treatise of the 'Four Loves' of C.S. Lewis as a guide. Although it parallels the theology of the Christian mindset what is discussed is universal and discovered within other forms of theology and/or religions. And, too, philosophies both of / with gods and without.

Again, for this 'self' it is a matter of acknowledgment, acceptance, and belief of a truth, yet with the same emphasis there is not a circle, more so the fashion of a spinning top that expands with time. Time has only a significance with a point of reference, perception, sensations, and contrast while comparing. Or, both the rational and the empirical are sought while pondering the chicken and the egg.

Back to the future or Love is of Four. Each is different while being of a nature of being universal. Nurture is the key of development. I am going to work from a memory of decay.

Storge - affection
    Philia - friendship
    Eros - romantic for a word
    Agape - unconditional or charity

Lewis explains these with brevity since most understand these as concepts through social learning and association with memory or past 'self' structures.
    Storge - pet, another or others, objects, and etc
    Philia - occurs with association and interactions with likeness while accepting differences with usually forgiveness, although does not have to condone
    Eros - hot topic of debate, yet beyond the human, yet fueled by the sub-human seeking the sensory for perceptions projected as dream, fantasy, connectedness, and the essence of the non-material. Times up

The contrast and consideration of Freud's Ego is it is not intended from this 'self's' understanding to be a social too. It is for analysis or diagnosis of 'another' within a one-on-one setting. My feelings is it can be dangerous of the wrong minded. The Ego structures 'self' as singular.

Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even though I am not fully sure what all you said, it seems brilliant to me. Informative & useful. I have read it thrice. Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I have started notes for a Hub. It will likely go beyond my knowledge, so gives me a good stret

3. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

self is the essence of who we are as individuals. It is comprised of both the physical (what can be seen and touched) and the spiritual (the things we cannot see or touch). As individuals we are unique unto ourselves.
    Self love has two extremes and most of us live somewhere in the middle. 
    On one extreme there is our total acceptance of what and who we were born to be - both physically and intellectually, regardless of what others tells us we are,  are not, or should be. 
    On the other end is extreme narcissism - when we perceive ourselves to be more than other people in all respects.
    Healthy self love is knowing that we are not infallible and make mistakes but learn from those mistakes, and never judge another person for who, or what they are.  But we also know that we do not know all there is to know and constantly seek knowledge to improve ourselves.
    We cross over the line of healthy self love when we judge others based solely on our own beliefs, or the standards by which we judge ourselves.

Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In a nutshell how I feel about your answer, I just read your profile, browsed your hub titles & am hooked. As mentioned above to tsmog, I am in the midst of writing a hub. Will link back to the Q & A as there is richness here in the answers.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I don't like the term, "self love", because I see "love" as something that will never be about us, and will always be about the other(s) we love.  I think a healthy self-respect or sense of worth, though, involves genuinely feeling, and being very certain, that we are not better or "less" than anyone else (and by that I mean, as a human being - not whether or not one person plays better tennis than someone else).

I see people becoming "independent and separate people"  as a two-stage process.  First there's  the reproductive cell, which meets up with something "from without", which is influenced/impacted throughout the process of cell division that takes place in the first trimester.  From there, it's a matter of growing bigger/older and becoming "more sophisticated"/mature. 

From birth to two or three years old child is in a new environment and again starts out as a single little "being".  It meets the "outside world", which from there involves yet more being impacted/influenced as the process of additional development (like forming brain connections, muscle development), learning language, takes place.  For those first couple of years a child isn't really completely "independent" (not financially, of course; but food-wise, relying on what "the world" offers him in terms of teaching about things like language development and relating to other people).

Step 2, to me (and recalling being two and three) is when the child is a "whole little person".  The mind and "physical stuff" aren't separate, of course, but to keep it simple let's call the exterior stuff "the packaging" and the name "the label".  Those go with "self", as far as I'm concerned.  So do the people I've loved or who have loved me.  To me, it's like that three-year-old, simple, but separate and fully functioning little kid continued to grow and interact/be impacted by things/people "from without".  Information, understanding, knowledge was accumulated; mixed in with the "me" that I was, were  turned with time into layer upon layer of "depth" that wrapped around that "core three-year-old person" -  and turned "her" from a "simple child" into a more complex, mature, individual,  To me, "self", could start with the label, go then to the packaging, then all those layers of substance/depth, and eventually that "core little kid" that I've always been.  All said and done, I suppose I really define "hard core self" as that "core" person.  "General self" is everything.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)