Where do people get inaccurate teachings about Jesus and the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 11 years ago

Where do people get inaccurate teachings about Jesus and the Bible?

where do people with lies come from. I believe that its a respecful thing to be tolerant however lies about Jesus are another subject all together.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7902513_f260.jpg

2. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

I think part of the problem is the total absense of fact checking. Folks hear a snippet of something or read it on the internet and just take it as the honest truth. Or, worse, they just make it up to help them make a point.

Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great comment George!

2. profile image0
      JoelMcLendonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Diane you're unfair letting everyone but Deborah comment. She replied to Celafoe's rude comment and you didn't allow it You people claim to be of God but show Bias because you don't like someone. I know Deborah is beautiful, but.....

3. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

joel   -- why shouldnt we delete her comments that are not scriptural, she deletes  what she doesnt like.    This is Christian not a jewish hub series..  .

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Guys,  some comments HP puts in Spam and some don't know how to find them yet.  It isn't on-purpose.  HP doesn't go by their own spam filters.  I already told her how to look for them and where. People just cannot be understanding here can they??

3. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 11 years ago

I agree with Georgie.  Part of the problem is that we are reading a translated book from a completely different culture's perspective.  Western thinking (influenced by the Greeks) is completely opposite from Hebrew thinking.  It is as ludicrous to say that I, of German heritage growing up in the USA, could be an expert teacher on Japanese haiku (is haiku even Japanese?- I'm pulllng that from the recesses of my brain- kind of makes the point, though.) as to say I can be an expert on Hebrew literature.  Yet, Americans claim to know exactly what Jesus means when he says____.  Studying Hebrew will clear up a lot of things.  (And there are scholars out there who believe the new testament was originally written in Hebrew- many copies of Matthew have been found.)
    Another big problem is that most do not read the entire book.  Jesus is aware of what is written at the beginning- those were the scriptures that were read in synagogue every Sabbath. What other book in the library or in school did you start 3/4 of the way through, thinking you would understand what was going on?
    Again, lack of research.  So people can come up with stuff about Jesus that just does not make any sense.

Excellent comment will keep yours in mind!!

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with everything you said

4. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

They get them in church, on the internet, from friends.  Most of the biggies are learned in church.

People are gullible in Cults especially, and in other areas as well..thank you...

5. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

I really like the comment made by Alise-Evon. Interpretation is the main problem and from my standpoint I have time and time and time again seen how literally the scriptures are taken instead of applying the teachings to the transformation of the reader.  To do this also you need the original version of the bible, not those versions amended.

The knowledge is meant to be applied not just read and understood as a text.  Knowledge comes only from having the experience.  This is the true meaning of the word knowledge.

It's not enough to be told what to do, as in pulpit to congregation.    Herein lies a major problem of analogy and purpose with teachings.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67

I agree 100 percent with you.  It is all individual and each individual will learn and has to learn the lessons that are set for them.

6. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 10 years ago

They don't study and search the word, but listen only to their pastor and others. They are aa bit lazy
    They also refuse to read the O.T.
    They misinterpret what they do read and do not see the metaphors and euphemisms

1. celafoe profile image54

and get them from people like you that do not believe in the new testament.   The law was completed and finished and of no value.
      Jews aer not longer Go's people, Christians are

2. profile image0

There is no scripture which says that except Paul's. Find and post scripture   Showing God or Yahshua said it.

3. celafoe profile image54

apparently you are also a jew and do not accept Jesus as the Messiah.   We are Christians and accept His death and resurrection.   Gal 3 is a good place to look among many others but you are still blinded by God and will not accept it

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67

So celeafoe, anyone who does not believe what you believe is a JEW?  How absurd.

5. celafoe profile image54

lg as usual you dont know what you are talking about.
      being a jew is not a bad thing but if not converetd they teach against Jesus.  which is what she does  and he is supporting her so ---

6. profile image0

I am Hebrew and Jewish. I am also fortunate enough to be Deborah's  husband & most everyone else knows this. Where have you been? Jews will always be God's people. God's word says it is an everlasting covenant.
      Don't think I'll put her down

7. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some folks here seriously need to get a grip. Or a hobby. Or a life. celafoe, people like you are one of the main reasons I am an atheist. Love and acceptance my big butt. Maybe you should go back and read the teachings of Jesus on how to love.

8. celafoe profile image54

gl - I do, i also know what scripture says about those who subvert the Gospel.  Two different things.  You are just looking for an excuse but what other people do has no bearing on whether to accept CHrist as Saviour or not.  Typical excuse

9. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Celafoe, you are blind as a bat.  She teaches Jesus teaching NOT Paul's...BIG difference there. Blind leading the blind and that is how cults get started.

10. Bruce Feierabend profile image81
      Bruce Feierabendposted 10 years agoin reply to this

celafoe could learn a little more grace. After all it is the basis of Christian belief. However, George what does people like her have anything to do with whether or not God exists. By the same token your opinion of Jesus should make you a believer.

11. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My opinion of Jesus is that he was a good man who had a lot to teach the world. Like Gandhi. Or Mr. Rogers. celafoe is not only combative, but mean spirited and this should not be how a Christian behaves according to Jesus's teachings.

12. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beautifully insightful, as always, DS.

It appears that celafoe is letting their own ego get out of hand. Alas!

Christ's teachings were all about Love and humility.

Jews no longer God's people? Jesus disagreed!

13. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For Celafoe
      Matthew 5:21, 22 You have heard that it was said.., You shall not murder,. I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: .. whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger

7. Bruce Feierabend profile image81
    Bruce Feierabendposted 10 years ago

The same place I suppose that the Jews and particularly the Jewish leaders had gone wrong and Jesus had to correct them. Yes there are problems with minor interpretation issues with translation and culture but that wasn't a problem for the Jews of Jesus' time. No the ultimate problem is the heart. From my experience I grew up basing my opinion on mostly other peoples' "bad experiences" with Christians which was mostly interpreted as hypocrisy. As a result I used Christians as a reason to disqualify Jesus and the Bible. What I realized later is that that belief system was one of convenience not based on anything substantial. It fit my lifestyle. It took an abrupt change to confront my own heart and mind honestly. I think most accept what they want or like to know about Jesus and the Bible. Of course that is true about many things, our relationships with other people, our politics, and how we see ourselves.

8. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 10 years ago

That would depend on weather they read their Bible andif they read only that Bible.  In that Bible Jesus tells us to seek and find our answers.  He tells us that all that we need is WITHIN us.  It is also stated in that Bible that not everything is in that book of stories and letters.  Now I have done my research and once had a hub about it.  I have since removed it from HubPages and updated it with new links but it will set you on a journey to finding the tuith and lies that religion try to elude you with.  If you so choose you can read my article and research the links provided therein.   http://thedivinedispatch.blogspot.com/2 … story.html

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Thank You Diane Woodson for selecting my answer as the best one.

9. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

The biggest offense is in handing down the dogma of the Constantinian and Justinian politicizations of the teachings. Ego became well installed in the church with its sycophants and toadies.

No popes have walked on water, except Peter, and he never considered himself to be a pope of anything. No miracles. And very little, if any, love.

Jesus talked of reincarnation and karma, but these have been declared anathema by the church dogma. Jesus talked about giving up the ego (the false self), yet too many church leaders cling to this master of the physical world.

God created us in His image and likeness, but one profound fact seems to elude so many religious people -- God is not Homo sapiens!

So many lies cling to this misunderstanding. When you find out who you really are, you know you are not human, but a child of God, instead. As Jesus said, you can do the miracles he did and even greater. This is only because we "follow Christ" by leaving ego behind and returning to our own innate spirituality.

1. PlanksandNails profile image79
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jesus did not say that you can do greater miracles, He said greater works. If they did greater miracles then proof should be found in the Bible, but it is not there. Greater works certainly is.

10. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 10 years ago

Their pastors, their priests, their family members, themselves. Some people will make arguments and haven't even read the bible for god's sake. It's just something their priest or someone they know have said. I'm an atheist and I've read the darn thing so what does that say about 'devout' Christians who haven't? Honestly, it's like giving a lecture about calculus with a degree in education and literature.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)