Why are there so many differing opinions about God in the US and in the World?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 11 years ago

Why are there so many differing opinions about God in the US and in the World?

These are too numerous to list in one Question here on Hubpages: yet there are so many bad opinions about Specific Churches. Is everyone worshipping the same God, please give your honest opinion not based on "Feelings" but on your own observations and experience. Thank- you.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7913582_f260.jpg

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Because there are billions of people in the wold all saying - me, me, my way is right, my God is the truth.  Why people be like that, I don't think there will ever be a satisfactory answer, probably to do with the ego.

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 11 years ago

Most of the controversy is because many people reject the Bible.    You can't be a Christian without believing that the Bible is the written word of God.    And the Christian God is the one true God.

I think any Christian denomination is probably worshipping the same God as the rest of the Christian denominations.   
    But I can't answer that for sure, really.   Mormons believe in the Bible, but they also have their "Book of Mormon".......so....they've separated themselves from adhering to the Bible as the only source for the real word of God........

And some people are trying to worship God, but haven't been able to connect Him with His word (the Bible),  as Paul told the people who had erected an icon to "The Unknown God";  they were seeking God, but needed the word about Jesus (which Paul gave them, trying to show them who God really was and is)....
    I think, though, that most Nations have been presented with the word (the Bible)....so that they have the chance to actually worship God Himself.

Jews who aren't Messianic still miss the boat,  even though they do worship the same God as Christians.    They need to recognize both Testaments (Old and New), and recognize that the entire Bible is the story of the Messiah Jesus;  otherwise, they're in danger of being lost eternally,  because even though they may believe in God Himself,  they haven't made the decision to accept Christ as Savior, and they refuse to recognize Jesus as the God that he is.

As far as other religions.........no, Buddhists aren't worshipping God;  that's a heathen religion.  And any other religion that doesn't worship the Biblical God is false also.
    Islamists are similar to Jews.  They may (and I say may, cause it's not clear...) be trying to worship God Himself,  but they've named Him something other than what the Bible says, and they refuse to recognize Jesus as Savior and a manifestation of God Himself of course.    So they're in the category of idolizing their idea of "the Unknown God" too, it seems.

Like I said, the fact of being a worshipper of God is inseparable from believing in His written word the Bible.

If you're talking about Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal, Catholic, etc......then, yes, those are all Christian denominations and are, I believe, worshipping the same God.

1. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This reads a little like 'me, me....' There seems to be a theme throughout that the Christian bible is the true word, making certain interpretations related to the root Middle Eastern faith as false.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not "me, me..."     It's simply who God is.   Yep, the others are false.   When we speak of God, we all know we're talking about the Creator.   The Bible is the only book that gives the history of the Creator and of creation.

3. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By just saying that a specific God is the truth, the one and only, everything else is false, we are dragging ourselves into a - we're right, everyone else is wrong situation.

4. Diane Woodson profile image60
      Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not to be biased, but not all who name God's name, ie believe will make it, since the Bible clearly points that out...good comment

4. Desmondlee89 profile image73
    Desmondlee89posted 11 years ago

I believe that as far as every person is unique, so will our perspectives be towards God. Whether our opinions are shaped upon the bible or what the church demands, the key idea is for Christians to focus on the word of God, to do what must be done and be a good testimony and not preach without action.

5. jravity1 profile image60
    jravity1posted 11 years ago

This is easy.. because no one has ever meet him. or her.  Everybody that follows a religion chooses to believe that religion. Honestly it can't be the same god according to the bible. He will hold true in heaven what you hold true on earth, based on that, any god you worship will be your god. The one thing that all gods have in common is that you can not meet them, or even see them. The story of jesus christ birth is just a retelling of a story dating back to egyptian times. That same story is used to describe many "gods" birth story. All these so called books written by gods word. Including the bible, book of mormon, and many other religious books, are all written by people, not gods. All stories can be used to help you in life because they are all interpreted how you want. So of course they fit your situation.

So once again to answer your question. There are differing opinions about god, because no one has ever meet him. or her.

Your answer could cause someone to think about God if they never have read the Bible which is the divinely inspired word of God and believe in HIM. I respect your right to believe as you wish. Holy men in the Bible times DID write it.

6. CBartelmey profile image70
    CBartelmeyposted 11 years ago

This is a really good question.  I have always found it perplexing why so much conflict always seems to arise around this subject.  Speaking from my observations, I think there is meaning to the world, I don’t think we are just adrift here by accident.  And to suggest that something has meaning, I think also suggests that there is greater purpose to all of this. Many have tried to define this purpose, or outline ways to achieve success in following that purpose.  Many have offered up definitions to this question, is there a God, and if there is, what would he have us do?

All of those definitions have led to many good outcomes, but they have also led to a lot of turmoil.  They have created a lot of decency, while at the same time created a lot of damaging behavior.  Like everything else, the notion of God and how to achieve whatever it is that God may be offering, is up to interpretation.  And interpreted we have.  It is interesting that we should even have to ask ourselves if there has been more good or bad done in the name of religion.  That should seem counterintuitive to the very basis for religion.   

But then again, we end up back at interpretation.  The Egyptians, the Mayans, Sumerians, Greeks; they were all right as far as they knew.  They took what they perceived and formed a basis of knowledge around it.  But as our basis of knowledge keeps changing, so our beliefs keep evolving.  I do think it is a fairly powerful fact however that as long as there has been man, there has been a form of God.  And I think it would perhaps be even more ideal if eventually we could all evolve to a notion of God that doesn’t pit one man against another.

7. Insightful Tiger profile image73
    Insightful Tigerposted 11 years ago

I have often wondered the same thing!
    My niece thinks that Jesus is the name of God. My friend thinks that Jesus is the son of God. My other friend thinks that Jesus and God are one. Then others think that the holy spirit is God's active force and that Jesus is God's only begotten son. Still others think that the holy spirit, Jesus, and God are three separate beings but still one. Some people think God has many names. I personally think that God's name is Jehovah(in English) and Jesus is his son. I wrote a couple hubs about names and titles in the Bible.
    People interpret scriptures differently, are taught different doctrines, and experience different moments.
    To be honest, I don't know why people have so many differing views, but I was glad to see that I am not the only one wondering. Thank you for the question.

I wrote the question while thinking of the Oneness Pentecostal up bringing I had...I would love to say that they are not a Cult, however there is too much evidence for it...I hope others in Cults will see my hubs and questions.

8. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

Because people don't know what the definition of God really is.  If they did, they'd not need to explain themselves.   God is impersonal, yet people apply a personal definition because we live in a world that demands rational explanations.  It's a ruse really.  Meaning...........if you always need to define something to appease another, it is coming from outside of oneself.  But if you feel it and become it you yourself don't require the explanation. 

Only one who has had an experience of the God inside themselves knows that it's beyond explanation.  Not many will understand this answer!

9. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

I don't believe that in all the religions around, that the opinion of who or what God is, varies that much. What differs is the path taken to get to him. Some feel devoting their life to the well being of others is the path. Some feel that the sacrifice of their own life for a cause, is the path. Either way, since there is no right or wrong, we fight.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)