Do you get grossed out when you have to pick up poopy after your pet?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Efficient Admin profile image83
    Efficient Adminposted 10 years ago

Do you get grossed out when you have to pick up poopy after your pet?

Or do you just get used to it?  I know in my neighborhood it is required you pick up the poopy after your dog does its business.  They even provide plastic bags and trash cans.  Is this something you just get used to, because you love your dog?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 10 years ago

I've been picking it up for so many years now that it doesn't bother me at all. If we don't pick it up where I live we can be fined. I'm not sure how much the fine is though.

Efficient Adminposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing. I guess when you love your dog it's not a big deal.

3. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 10 years ago

I've had my dog since she was 8 weeks old, and she's now 8 years old. From the beginning of her outdoor "potty training", I didn't want to leave poop lying around in my back yard, so I forged the habit of taking a couple of baby wipes along on every trip outdoors. I use one of the wipes on her butt (yes...because she gets on the furniture and sleeps with me. It's just good hygiene), then place it (soiled side up) flat on the ground and use the other one to pick up the poop, deposit it on the flat wipe, cover it and fold the bottom corners in so the poop's covered and I can pick up and securely hold the "package."  That sounds like a lot of trouble, but after more than 3,000 times, I could do it with my eyes closed! It helps that I feed her an excellent quality diet and give her probiotics for canines, so her stools are always solid.

I bought one of those outdoor doggy septic tanks that uses enzymes and water early on. It didn't work, so I began bringing the "packages" inside and flushing their contents (not the wipes, for the sake of the plumbing--they go in a covered trashcan) down the toilet. I don't like the idea of dumping dog poop in the outdoor garbage can any more than I think parents should dump stinky filled dirty disposable diapers in garbage cans. Both dog and baby poop should be flushed and carried away in the sewer system. (Do I sound a bit OCD about this? It may be because I'm old enough to have used cloth diapers when my children were babies, and I only got my first pet at age 61.  Makes a difference in perspective!)

No, it doesn't gross me out to collect the poop. After all, I take her out on leash and have watched her "go potty" 3,000-plus times over the years. It WOULD, however, gross me out to leave it there and step in it later! 

To everyone reading this and laughing their heads off--it IS funny, but it's also effective!

Jaye

What a great answer.  Thank you so much for sharing your opinion. I never thought about flushing it in the toilet. These are things to consider when getting a pet, because it's a long-term commitment.

2. JayeWisdom profile image89
      JayeWisdomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Efficient Admin....Some might read this and think I shared too much!  Ha-ha. Jaye

4. Kristen Haynie profile image92
    Kristen Haynieposted 10 years ago

My neighborhood has the same requirements. Picking up my dog's poo has never bothered me at all. To me, it's not nearly as bad as changing a baby's diaper.

Strangely, it does sometimes bother me to pick up the poo from strange dogs. I do it sometimes when I'm on a walk and see some or if someone lets their dog poo in my yard. For some reason, I get grossed out by that. But the poo from my own dogs doesn't bother me. It's weird, I know.

But either way, it has to be done. Picking up after your dog is just one of the responsibilities of being a dog owner. You just have to suck it up and do it.

Yes I agree - it's better to pick up the poopy than let it sit there for someone to step in. Thanks for commenting.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

Yes, it grosses me out. Thankfully, my husband cleans it up. We have 3 large dogs--it is quite a job.

6. agilitymach profile image94
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I get grossed out when I don't pick up the poo.  There's nothing worse than poo left out in a public place.  I buy special poo bags that are designed to keep you hands perfectly clean, and you can tie them off to stop the smell.

I show my dogs and would never consider not picking up poo at show sites or hotels.  Yuck!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)