Which do you prefer as a pet? A dog or a cat? And are you a man or a woman?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. RealityTalk profile image60
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

Which do you prefer as a pet?  A dog or a cat?  And are you a man or a woman?

I am not sure if it be myth or truth that men prefer dogs and women prefer cats.  Personally, I fall into the stereotypical dog-loving man.  But maybe I am just that.  A stereotype.  Maybe, there are an equal number of dog lovers among women as men, and an equal number of cat lovers among men as women.  You tell me.  And I guess one can like both, but that is not me.  Sorry, I do not like cats.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8069898_f260.jpg

2. Patsybell profile image81
    Patsybellposted 10 years ago

a non steriotypical answer. I am a woman who would prefer a dog. They are loyal, protective and good listeners.

RealityTalkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  My dog listens to what I say.  Follows me whenever I leave a room. And is a great companion.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

I grew up with cats and I still love them, but my daughter-in-law, mother of my beautiful grandchildren, is  allergic to them.. so I have given up cats in favor of grandchildren.
    We have had several dogs, and the first one I really got attached to was a big gentle  Black Lab who decided he was born to protect me.
    Since then, we have had other dogs including some small balls of energy.  Dogs require more attention and care-- but they make us smile and I think they are good for our mental health.
    I'd rather have a cat, but for my spouse's sake-- and to be able to have my  daughterinlaw and grandchildren visit, I'll have a crazy little dog.

Hopefully, when the grandchildren grow up, you can bring another cat home to stay.  As you say, kids come first.

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

woman, prefer a cat. A stray cat will do. Don't have to send to the vet. Anyway, my cat doesn;t live in the house. She stays outside on the car roof. Besides, she cleans herself well. Don't have to worry about bathing problem!

That is one of the nice perks of cat ownership.  Leash free and able to roam outside.  Leave them food & water and shelter.  Go on vacation.  No kennels.

5. TNT Husky profile image64
    TNT Huskyposted 10 years ago

I'm a guy, but i like having one of each. I like my cat because she'll jump on my lap and demand i take a break to pet her, especially when i'm not in a good mood. And my dog just jumps, twirls, and bugs me until i play with her to make myself happy. My animals aren't the brightest, but I could never choose between one of them.

It sounds like your animals both like you, so they can't be all that dumb.  My dog won't stay in a room if I am not there.  All 4 paws leave the ground if he thinks we're going for a ride in the van.  I had a cat once.  I trained him to fetch.

2. TNT Husky profile image64
      TNT Huskyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

as much heck as i give them for it, they're deceptively smart. My cat will meow at me uncontrollably until I pet her when i return home after a few days, and if im gone for more than 4 hours, my dog is already barking for me to return.

6. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Both my husband and I prefer cats. They are generally quiet, easier to handle than dogs. All you have to do is clean the litter box once a week and check the food bowl once a day. Simple and easy.

That's a good point.  Cats can live their entire life in a household fairly independent of its owners.  Dogs won't let you forget they are there.

7. Dreamhowl profile image94
    Dreamhowlposted 10 years ago

I'm a woman, and I'd prefer a dog. Cats are really adorable and seem easy to take care of, but I grew up with dogs and they hold a special place in my heart. I also believe I am slightly allergic to cat dander, as every time I pet my boyfriend's family's cat I have to wash my hands; that or I sneeze, itch or get a swollen lip. So I guess that helps make the decision for me.

I've heard people claim to have an allergic reaction to dogs too.  Your allergic reaction to cat dander makes an easy choice for you.

8. Diana Lee profile image74
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

Although I like both dogs and cats I really am a dog mom.  I never met a dog I couldn't get along with. They just seem to demand my attention.

I agree.  I have owned dogs and cats over the years.  My cats are okay doing their own thing.  My dogs always want to do their thing with me.  Dogs give & ask for very little in return.

9. Thief12 profile image89
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

I'm a dog lover. I don't like cats that much, even though we had one when I was a kid. My last dog lived around 13 years sad

It's sad they don't live longer than they do.  We had dogs when I was a kid.  I have owned 2 dogs on my own.  My first Boxer died of a heart attack at 10 years old.  That is too short a life span for a pet you come to love.

10. StoneCircle profile image87
    StoneCircleposted 10 years ago

I am a woman and I prefer the company of dogs. Cats are fine. You can put a whole bag of food down one a week, clean the cat box daily and make sure the water is full and never, ever see them. But a dog will let you know you are loved every time you walk into the room. They will go for walks with you and enjoy being in nature. They love to ride in trucks, cars, snowmobiles, and tractors. What's not to love?!

I agree with everything you wrote.  To me, cats seem like a self-centered egotist.  While, dogs act like your best friend.

11. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

Tough question, but a good one! I'm a woman and if I had to choose between a dog and a cat, I'd choose a dog. I like cats too though, very much actually, but I think what makes me choose a dog is because of the affection and loyalty they show and give. I have a dog and 2 cats and while I love my kitties, my dog has my heart. She is fiercely loyal, defends my family and home, and loves us back unconditionally. As much as I love my kitties, they are cats, they only want attention when they are ready, could care less if someone is breaking into your home or trespassing on your property, and they definitely do not make good pets for the emotionally insecure! Ha! Again, as much as I love them, and I do, the interaction and devotion of a dog wins for me smile
    Great question!

Great answer!  Cats are like divas.  You love them & hate them at the same time.  Dogs are like another member of the family.

12. Darren Owens profile image60
    Darren Owensposted 10 years ago

I'm a man, and I do prefer dogs over cats. I've had both in my life. Currently I have a dog and love him to death. Cats are more low maintenance, and dont need much attention. Dogs need more attention, and I love it when my dog needs attention. Dogs bond with you more than cats, and they show more love towards you than cats do in my opinion.

I used to own a cat; he was around when hungry.  I own a dog; he follows me everywhere.  My dog is like one of the family.

13. ParadigmEnacted profile image75
    ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years ago

I generally like animals and the unique things that they all do, but as far as owning one at this stage of my life, I'd go with a dog. Dogs actually thrive on being around people more and are demonstrative. Cats are pretty cold, aloof, and independent. Cats really belong outdoors.

My dog likes to go outdoors now & then, but 99% of his day he prefers to just follow me around.

14. jamesclarkson02 profile image47
    jamesclarkson02posted 15 months ago

Firstly I'm a men and I'm very passionate about having a cat as a pet because of their independent nature.  I'm not saying petting a dog is a bad idea as they are really adorable. But as per my experience cats are great when it comes to emotional support.  Cats are quiet and easy to groom. They can be both fun loving and caring.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)