What do you think of celebrities that give their children names like these?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

What do you think of celebrities that give their children names like these?

Kanye West and Kim Kardashian have revealed the name of their newborn daughter: North..as in, yes, North West. Odd, ugly or just plain stupid-sounding names seem common among celebrities, e.g. Pilot Inspektor (Jason Lee's son), Moxie Crimefighter (Penn Jillette's daughter), Sage Moonblood (son of Sly Stallone), and Prince Michael Jackson and Prince Michael II, aka "Blanket" (Michael Jackson's sons). Why do you think celebrities put these kind of names on their children, and how do you feel about parents that do this?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8129427_f260.jpg

2. Amber Vyn profile image60
    Amber Vynposted 10 years ago

I do agree that there seems to be a bit more competition among wealthier people to 'launch a brand' by giving their kid an original or catchy name. However, celebrities aren't the only people who do this.

There's siblings Cherry Pitts and Harry Pitts. There are little girls named Lexus, including (at least) one named Lexus Diamond. I went to college with a guy whose parents had named him Lucifer (he went by his middle name), a girl named Timathie (her parents were expecting a boy), and people still southern enough to name their boys Beverly and Meredith.

Parents get to name their kids whatever they want (obscenities and wingdings notwithstanding). Fortunately, when they're adults they can change their name. There's even a guy who changed his name to James T. Kirk.

Personally, I'm glad that we don't live in a place like Iceland where you can only give you kid a name that's from an approved list.

3. stclairjack profile image76
    stclairjackposted 10 years ago

grew up knowing a girl who's parents named her Shanda,... last name Lear,... Shanda Lear,.... yea,... too damn funny right?

my brothers name is Elvin Lavern,.. a family thing,.. we called him Elvy,.. not really an improvement but it was better than Lavern.

knew a gal named Abra,... as in Abra-Cadabra,.. it never once made me want to reach out and grab her. (always wondered if her brothers name was secretly Hokus Pokus) classmate named Angel,.. she sure wasnt,... another classmate named Chastity,... that one did NOT work out like her parents planned,.. even went to school with a boy named Natas (Satan spelled backwords)... never met his parents, and i'm kinda glad.

of course i live in the ozarks so we see our share of JimBob's and MaryLou's (my other brother is Jimmy Gene),.... guess a rose is a rose by any name.

4. JohnGreasyGamer profile image77
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 10 years ago

I'm rather old fashioned and there's very few names I'd want to give a child, and I also think about how long it'll remain popular and how they'll feel about it in their later life. I personally love my name and I'd like to see it go on for generations (as Johns seem to be a dying breed), but I can see why others invent names. It's good for a laugh but the thing is this person has to live with the humiliation of a crap name for several years, and might not be able to muster the strength to legally change it due to self esteem issues.

Personally I think it's disgusting, names like Pilot Inspektor and North West. It's clever but there are some ideas of the human brain that should never have been put to paper. If I felt any stronger about the matter I'd have these kinds of people shot.

5. Alecia Murphy profile image71
    Alecia Murphyposted 10 years ago

I think while it's their decision it's hard to believe how they don't understand what the impact of the name may be. Sure since these kids may grow up together like Blue Ivy and North, if they want to live a regular life it will be hard since many people will not only know their name but probably have a roster of jokes ready ( I know I did when I heard North). I'll admit when I heard North- I just thought this is not going to be to this kid's advantage at all.
    Don't get me wrong- I don't mind creative names. My mom named my Alecia because that's how she thought the conventional spelling of Alicia sounded differently to her. However, for the slight change has made it a challenge for many people to pronounce my name correctly even though it's far from uncommon.
    As a counter example, I'd also point out Channing and Jenna Tatum's newborn daughter, Everly. Not completely common but not so strange that it makes you scratch your head. However, as long as we continue to pay them attention for strange choices and eccentric names- we'll continue to hear our slew of North's, Pilot's, and Apple's in Hollywood.

6. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 10 years ago

That's why countries like Denmark and Germany have lists of pre-approved names that a baby must be given.  Prevents shenanigans like this.  Parents get bent out of shape when you infringe on their "freedom of choice," but the kid has to live with the name Blanket.

7. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 10 years ago

I'm not too sure about Michael Jackson's brood, but Pam and both LOVE what Kim & Kanye did in naming their baby girl "North". 

In fact, the day we heard about it, I was slinging stucco for most of the day and found myself singing "NORTH to Alaska!" at the top of my lungs while I was working.

8. LensMan999 profile image58
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

Though such names sound quite stupid to us, they are trying to create news through the names of their kids too. I think they don't think much about it's consequences on their kids.
    Since they are celebrities they want everything they do or say to be known for ever and remain in the minds of all. That may be the right answer.

9. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I don't think it's just celebrities. I know plenty of people these days who are giving their children the dumbest names I've ever heard. Some are in my family so I won't say the guilty names here, but what parents think is a "cool" statement is something these poor unfortunate babies have to live with for the rest of their little lives and I think it is so sad.  Another thing I really cant' stand that has become popular is taking normal names and spelling them in stupid ways because they think it looks clever.  Like "Emily" spelled emaleigh - dumb.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)