Do you think illegal immigrants should be given amnesty and be eligible for citi

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. alexandriaruthk profile image61
    alexandriaruthkposted 10 years ago

Do you think illegal immigrants should be given amnesty and be eligible for citizenship?

After some time and paying fees? What should be the requirements?

2. Borsia profile image41
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

No They should go to the back of the line behind those who are trying to do things legally. Anyone caught in the country illegally should be disqualified from ever gaining citizenship or a green card.
    A system should be set up for employers who can show a real need for foreign workers and allowed to import them. But that employer should be held liable for all of their expenses and they shouldn't qualify for any government aid.
    Likewise a system should be set up to check worker IDs when other inspections are being done. Anyone employing illegal help should face stiff fines the first time and sever fines and jail for continued offences.

3. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

Immediate amnesty. No time, no fees, no requirements.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And your reasoning is...? All you are saying is that criminal activity should be rewarded.

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

and what about those who were born here who have never known anything else? just throw them out? It is a complex situation

3. Borsia profile image41
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you are born in the US you are a citizen, they would only need someone legal to live with.

4. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually it is more of looking to a future rather than hanging on to the past. Still, I don't view working to provide for one's family as a crime. It's really just something you don't like.

5. profile image0

JS, you are completely skipping the fact that what they are doing is illegal and some people want to reward that. You are simply using emotional quips rather than realizing the facts. Illegals should have to go through the process like anyone else.

6. junkseller profile image78

I'm not ignoring the law, I just don't agree with the law and am perfectly willing to erase it. Nothing emotional about that at all.

7. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Another 10 million Mexicans might change your mind.

8. junkseller profile image78

No they wouldn't. I like the Mexicans I have known. (A lot more than I like many of my fellow Americans actually). Trading 10 million Mexicans for the Tea party I think would be a swell deal.

9. Silverspeeder profile image61

To take 10 million Mexicans the US would have to have sustainable growth thats what the UK problem has been 5 million immigrants and little if no growth.

4. Silverspeeder profile image61
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

If there are a set of rules (laws) and someone breaks those rules should they be rewarded?

1. junkseller profile image78

Would the person who has never broken a rule (law) please step forward.

2. profile image0

Junkseller, is that the best you can come up with? Silverspeeder has simply given the principle that good should be rewarded and wrong should be punished. I guess that principle is not in your version of the future.

3. Silverspeeder profile image61

I broke a law and was suitably punished, do you think people who break the law shouldn't be punished then?

4. junkseller profile image78

Oh geez, haven't heard that one from you before. Could you be any more intellectually lazy? Actually forget I asked, I don't want you to accept that challenge (not that you can probably help it).

5. Silverspeeder profile image61

A bit condescending from someone who seems to be claiming the high ground Junkseller. Its not very intellectual to be condescending is it? All that university education and people only have to b condescending to show their intellect.Well i never....

6. junkseller profile image78

SS, Caleb changed their reply. Originally it was just "best...can do," which is lazy and a repeat for them. To the point, good/bad is different from lawful/unlawful. Very few of us are Judge Dredds. We are selectively rigid based on goodness/badness.

7. taburkett profile image58
      taburkettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of course they should not be rewarded. But, the politicians are attempting to reward them so they can buy votes. Rules are rules, except when a politician gets involved, then they are simply something that must be changed to buy votes.

5. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image60
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 10 years ago

This is a very complex question. People emigrate for all sorts of different reasons and it would all depend on their personal circumstances. I personally believe that there should be a global community in which everyone can live wherever they want to, and that money should be more equally distributed. However, I'm aware that that is an idealized view. I think immigrants should be given opportunities in a country whether they're illegal or not, and it is up to them as to what they do with those opportunities. If they have come to harm a society, such as people who have extremist views, then they should be deported back to where they have come from. But if a person works for several years in a country and makes positive contributions to that country, then they should most definitely be eligible for citizenship.

1. profile image0

Actually it's not that complex. People who come to the US illegally, use our resources, and work outside of the law are engaging in criminal activity. American citizenship is not a RIGHT for all people...it's something earned through proper channels.

2. junkseller profile image78

American citizenship is a right as we define it to be. It is not immutable.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

No, I think when you have someone that has done something illegal, whatever it is - then to reward them is a slippery slope and not a good idea.  It is rewarding crime.

7. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

Solely based on the economic status of the USA today - the answer is no!
    With the current debt, the revenue budget deficit, and no solution in sight for the lack of jobs for the millions of college graduates who are American citizens there is no way to provide a suitable solution to the illegal immigrant problem other than send them packing.
    The nation should eliminate the burden of the illegal immigrant so that the college debts of all American citizens can be forgiven.  Through a 1% consumption tax, the USA could begin to profit once again and start rolling towards recovery.  This would require elimination of the income tax completely.  It would allow no deductions, no dependents, and no special accounting tricks. 
    It would be applicable to all commercial transactions regardless of product or service provided.  It would be applicable to all commercial transactions via the internet.  It would be applicable to all corporations, partnerships, sole-proprietorships, in other words everyone.  No exceptions through exemptions.
    With this tax, it is estimated that the USA could eliminate the current $16 trillion in debt in 3 to 4 years.
    After that time, the USA would then be making a profit which would equate to a shareholder dividend.  These earnings would be distributed to all working citizens using a reverse allocation (lowest earning individuals get the greatest return while the highest get the least).
    This will take an amendment to the Constitution to eliminate the income tax and establish a specific citizen centered tax amendment that would limit the spending of the revenue to 30 to 35 % of the 1% earned.
    This will take more than the corrupt politicians because under this 1% rule, the citizens should restrict the sessions of congress to 4 sessions per year (1 per quarter, each 10 days in length).  Along with this, the citizen must restrict the President's role in spending to the tune of a budget equal to 1/10th percent of the total federal budget of 30 to 35 % of the revenue.  In addition, the President will be required to submit all appointees to the Congress for approval which would then be handled during the 10 days in session.  Special Congressional Sessions would be for acts of war.  And, to cover this possibility, all citizens 18 to 55 would be assigned to guard or reserve units unless they possess a health problem that would keep them from serving.  citizens desiring exemption from direct war duty would be assigned to health units. ProActive.

8. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 10 years ago

No, it is not fair to reward them for jumping the queue, when others have followed procedure, and often waited for years to obtain their new status. What kind of a message does it send to people who follow the laws of the new country? Now they should be rewarded for illegal actions? No.

9. toptendeals profile image71
    toptendealsposted 10 years ago

Illegal Immigrants should be able to work toward a path to citizenship.  I don't think it should be simply given for free and immediately because there are channels in place for legal citizenship already.  They shouldn't be put ahead of those in line.

Perhaps make the legal path for citizenship a bit more flexible and expedient especially for educated immigrants without a criminal history.

1. taburkett profile image58

Illegal immigrants should be placed on the rolls just like every other immigrant. When their slot opens up, then they can apply for citizenship. Until then, they should be sent back to their country of origin.

10. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 10 years ago

If there are extenuating circumstances such as flight for life possibly - but then they would apply as refugees.  I think on the whole no because it sets up a slippery slope.  I am however not black and white on the answer and believe in certain circumstances wiggle room is important.

1. taburkett profile image58

Wiggle room is what they are experiencing presently.  They can wiggle over the border anytime they wish.  That does not make it right.  That just makes them illegal.  Special treatment means more corruption by politicians.

11. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 10 years ago

I want to hear from the Native Americans on this one!  I'm pretty sure they didn't give my ancestors the okay when they arrived from Scotland and England, but so far I haven't been asked to leave.  Okay, that sounded too flippant and jokey, but I do think that the USA is an amazing country made up of the locals and then all the people who came from other countries who wanted freedom to work and live and have a better life.  I think illegal immigrants who are here and trying should be helped to learn the language, be legal, have rights, have insurance and driver's licenses and pay taxes.  All the people I know in this situation would be fine with paying back fines (or whatever) if they could feel safe and keep learning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)