Is your neighborhood safe enough to leave home doors unlocked?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 10 years ago

Is your neighborhood safe enough to leave home doors unlocked?

When visiting a neighbor for coffee or when going for a long walks

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I believe my neighborhood is. If I'm at the neighbors, I'll leave the door unlocked. But if I'm going to the little store down the road and will only be gone for a few minutes, I lock it because I don't know when I'll run into someone, get to talking, and be gone longer than expected. I guess I feel it's better to be safe than sorry.

1. DDE profile image46
      DDEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I  live in the most southern part of Croatia and is most peaceful and crime free. we had on numerous times hadn't locked the doors and all was fine thanks for answering

3. johnsonrallen profile image89
    johnsonrallenposted 10 years ago

When my family and I moved from Texas to Indiana, we were all in for a shock. Not only are house doors left wide open and unlocked much of the day, car vehicles are left unlocked as well. I still have old habits that make me cautious but it's great living in a place where I feel safe!

1. DDE profile image46

Thanks for answering I too was shocked about how doors are left open in the village I came to live in from South Africa

4. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 10 years ago

When visiting or going for long walks I always lock my door.  If I am just running down the street to the local 711 and will only be gone for a few minutes I would leave it unlocked.  However, this past Monday I was at work in a locked office and had my wallet stolen out of my purse.  So, since then I have been much more careful and I won't leave the house without locking the door.

1. DDE profile image46

Sometimes one should be more careful and not so trusting also it depends where you are living and the kind of people you are in contact with on a daily basis. Thanks for answering

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

I believe mine is. However I would not (intentionally) tempt fate. I have left my home with the garage door up by mistake or left the sliding glass patio door open while away for a few hours and nothing happened in (those) instances. Nonetheless I would not recommend everyone starts leaving their doors wide open when they leave their homes. Commonsense dictates one (secures) their valuables!
    On another note I have noticed that Fedex, UPS, and other delivery services all drop off packages at the front door in my neighborhood without making an announcement or requesting a signature. Thus far we have never not gotten items that were shipped to us.

1. DDE profile image46

One has to be careful and thoughtful when leaving their home and I do agree with you

6. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

We moved to a small town about five years ago and so far it seems safe.  If we are just outside in the yard or taking a walk down the road, we do not lock the doors, but if I run an errand to be out for a bit, we do lock the doors.  Unfortunately, I do not believe that any place is full-proof safe.  I went to a yard sale here when we first moved here, and the nice men were so kind as to help me carry the items to my locked car, and they just had a good laugh when they discovered had locked my car door!  LOL  And to top it off I did it again, and they just were in disbelieve I would do so, just habit I guess, and I believe it is a good habit.  I had to explain to them that we just moved from the big city where if we did not lock our car doors, there would be trouble!  Good question.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, meant to say ...in disbelief.

2. DDE profile image46

Interesting about them laughing about the car doors being locked that is how it is in Croatia when I first moved to our little village I often locked the doors and the local people thought that was  funny.  150 people live in the village.

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Dear Devika, thank you for choosing my answer! Hugs, Faith Reaper

7. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 10 years ago

DDE - I am so happy to say, yes, it is. I love my new neighbourhood, and feel very safe here. Sometimes I forget and lock the front door, but forget that the back door is unlocked, and the windows are open! Duh!!

1. DDE profile image46

Great part of life freedom is such a huge part of our lives

8. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image77
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 10 years ago

We are lucky enough to be able to leave our doors unlocked when taking a long walk or visiting a neighbor.  However, I lock when we are going further than a couple of blocks/

1. DDE profile image46

Great idea to lock when going further thanks for answering this question enjoy the freedom

9. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

I have only been here a month, but I believe so. Lovely and peaceful neighborhood. Also so wonderfully far out in the sticks a Burglar would probably have to stumble on us by accident.

1. DDE profile image46

Great answer and sounds very safe. Thank you

10. profile image0
    richard alburoposted 10 years ago

No.Even a pair of slippers you leave outside of your door,after 5 mins. it is gone.That is now the situation living in my town.

1. DDE profile image46

You  got to be kidding well some places aren't safe at all thanks for answering question

11. Express10 profile image83
    Express10posted 10 years ago

I think so however, personal safety focuses on taking away opportunities for crime, not providing them. It's not smart or safe to do this no matter where you live or how safe you think you are unless someone comes along to prove you wrong. I never leave my doors unlocked, even when I lived in the mountains of California.

1. DDE profile image46

I understand your views on safety and sometimes one can be most cautious depending on where you are living

12. CraftytotheCore profile image77
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I have a home security system and 3 big dogs.  I still lock my doors.  There have always been robbery attempts here.  My relatives were broken in to about 25 years ago and their house was turned inside out.  What a mess!  A few years ago a couple of teenagers from the local school broke in to a house in my neighborhood.  They stole an old tv and left the diamond earrings sitting on my neighbor's dresser.  They were caught and went to jail immediately.  LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)