What was the WORST thing your schoolteacher said to you in elementary, junior hi

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What was the WORST thing your schoolteacher said to you in elementary, junior high, and/or

high school?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8471084_f260.jpg

2. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 10 years ago

I once had a teacher ask me why my name was Jeannie.  She kept trying to call me "Jenny" and I told her repeatedly that was not my name.  She finally asked, "Why is it Jeannie and not Jenny?"  My answer was, "Because my mother named me Jeannie, that is why." 

It is pretty sad when a high school teacher does not understand spelling.  What is so complicated?  The name is basically Jean, but my mother thought it would be cuter to make it like "I Dream of Jeannie."  I suppose that teacher did not find it cute.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Mathematics was not my strong point in high school (in fact, it still isn't). I had a freshman year geometry teacher who was mean and nasty and had little patience for students who couldn't grasp the concepts immediately (i.e. me) .... to the point where she actually said to me "You're hopeless, why don't you quit wasting my time and just drop this class?"
    .....that sounded like a great idea to me, so I got up, walked out of the room, marched down to the guidance office, and asked to be transferred to another geometry class. When they asked me why, I said "because Mrs. so-and-so is a b*tch," and told them what she'd said to me. My guidance counselor became visibly annoyed, got her on the phone and read her the riot act while I was sitting there... which was quite satisfying. (haha) In the end, I was moved to a different class with a different (and much nicer) teacher, and I was able to survive Geometry!!

1. CraftytotheCore profile image76
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar experience in geometry.  In fact, the school wouldn't even let me switch to a different math class.  My grandparents paid a tutor.  The teacher passed me with a D-.  I was a straight A student besides that.

2. kallini2010 profile image80
      kallini2010posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is my "Yes" strategy.  Do what you are told, save some energy.  I wouldn't call such and such a bitch, but I am sure, without name calling it would be even more bizarre.  "Why don't you...?" "Yes, mam"

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

Ok, this won't be as bad as what some people will say, but ... I had a few teachers throw out that "Why can't you be more like" and then name one of my aunts they had about 12 years before I got there. I think doing that makes some students feel stupid and they often give up because they know they can never be just like another person. I just threw it back and told them "Because I'm me".

1. profile image53
      tbHistorianposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I got into trouble over this statement from a teacher when I replied, "because she is a girl and I have a penis." The teacher marched me to the principles office and I told him the same. I was sent home for 3 days. Mom and dad agreed with me so I won

5. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 10 years ago

Not so much her words in second grade, but actions, as.a teacher slapped my face. She did this because I made my sevens from the bottom upward. She was obviously disturbed and should not have been teaching children. I grew up and became a teacher, I never ridiculed or harmed a child in the years I taught. I praised at every turn and tried to build self-esteem. always remembering what had happened to me back in grade school. Perhaps one day that teacher overcame her problems and was a better educator..

6. Silverspeeder profile image61
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

Through all my school years I had many teachers tell me I could be anything I wanted too. Of course I have found this to be absolute rubbish as most of you have also done.
    Be the best you can and excel at it, that is the truth.

7. kallini2010 profile image80
    kallini2010posted 10 years ago

This story may sound like nothing, but of all things that being said or done to me, this one was the most damaging.

I was only ten.  We started the class (I don't know how it would be called here) - girls to the right, boys to the left. Girls learned housework skills (sewing, cooking, electrical appliances, like irons... I don't remember most of that crap), boys were learning some carpentry and God knows what.

The teacher just finished telling us how to cut material ... and I did it wrong, but I haven't cut it yet and I was re-pinning (re-positioning)... She comes and makes an example of me "Look, this girl is a little fool..." (maybe my translation is inadequate, but it felt like I was a pinnacle of everything that is stupid.)

That I remembered for life.  I hated the class and I hated the teacher (and we had the subject for four long years).  Later I realized that of all school teachers she was the least educated.

I no longer keep a grudge (that would be idiotic of me), but sure as hell remember the pain.  It is just as vivid.

I wish I did not say things to my son when I am angry.  Cannot say that I am anywhere near perfect myself.  Now I am not a little fool, but enormous.

The funny thing happened at the University.  We had a very old (old school) teacher who was mumbling something and then "What is the answer, Victor?"  Victor said, "I don't know."  "What are you, stupid?" professor asked.  "Yes, I am a FOOL!" (Victor was no fool and not stupid, but the way he stood up, literally, and just took the fire so calmly...)

"Yes, I am a fool.  So? What are you going to do?"

I kept quoting him ever since "Yes! I am a fool!"

8. krillco profile image85
    krillcoposted 10 years ago

7th grade, algebra teacher, called me 'an idiot' because I was struggling with the material...she looked like a refrigerator with a head, and had only one eyebrow...felt like telling her that, but didn't...

9. annajazz profile image82
    annajazzposted 10 years ago

In High School Speech class everyone had to give a speech about three different things that easily got on their nerves, aka pet peeves.

So one of the ones I talk about was the sound of dental drills and how they freak me out (this do to the fact that I had a cavity when I was young and the doctor did not give me enough Novocaine). So really can't stand it when I hear them in the back ground when I go for the two yearly appointments.

So on to the embarissing part. After I was do, the teacher said,(loud enough for everyone to hear). "You know, if you actually brushed your teeth, I'm sure you'll get over you fear. Here's to the best of luck and start brushing."

I was modified (being a freshman) that now everyone was going to think I did not brush my teeth.
    I told her later that it was very rude of her to can to the conclusion in front of the whole class that I did not brush my teeth all based on the fact that I had a cavity when I was about 10.

To top that off, I had a teacher tell me to stop cutting myself as it was not worth it, again, loud enough for the whole class to hear. All of this, because I had a bunch of scratches on the TOP of my arm from falling off on my four wheeler over the weekend. And my arm was bruised, hardly looked like an emo cutter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)