Meet our newest family member as of 6:30 this evening, who does not yet have a n

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Meet our newest family member as of 6:30 this evening, who does not yet have a name ...

Now that we have him, we are trying to pick a name that fits him. He is a Chocolate Labrador.  I thought of Cocoa if he were a female, but alas, he is male.  Then I thought of Buster Brown and online I saw a ton of names for chocolate labs, one was Hershey.  My childhood Labrador was named Brownie and he was a yellow lab LOL. Have you ever owned a chocolate lab and, if so, what was his name? We may have to wait a few days to get to know his personality.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8680660_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    lambservantposted 10 years ago

Funny because when I got the email notification I thought it was going to be a new grandchild.

Those eyes are as sweet and charming as I've ever seen. Possible names:

Oscar (the oscar awards are coming)
    Barnabas (son of encouragement from the book of Acts)

I will keep thinking and get back. Darling darling darling. Congrats.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haha...aw, l was thinking of Oscar too! Although, I do love Barnabas!  Thank you for the great name ideas! No more grands in the future that I know of LOL

2. profile image0
      lambservantposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Faith, it is imperative that you let us know the final decision so we can all send him a warm, wonderful, hubpages welcome.

3. Faith Reaper profile image82

Oh, I will dear one. Oscar was the first name that popped into my head when I saw him. So we will see : )

4. profile image0

Latte, Mocha

5. Faith Reaper profile image82

Aw, again, those are perfect!  I love Latte and Mocha ... perfect.  Keep them coming!  Blessings

3. profile image0
    Bronwyn Hansenposted 10 years ago

Congratulations on your new arrival! My chocolate Lab is named Rusty, due to the appalling condition he was in when I rescued him.
    Comedian Griff Rhy-Jones has a choc Lab called Cadbury.

Aw, bless you for rescuing Rusty! Cadbury is adorableb too. Thank you for sharing and answering with the great names!

2. profile image0

Cadbury, that's a cool name.

Yes, very cool and I meant adorable before. Need to get off this phone to respond!

4. profile image0
    dragonflycolorposted 10 years ago

Unfortunately, all of our animals we have named after famous people...
    Fred
    Scooby
    Velma
    Daphne
    Shaggy
    Butch (Cassidy)
    Sundance (Kid)

We either need a Scrappy, Earp, Clyde, or maybe be Miley.  What do you think?  smile

Hi dragonflycolor...oh, all of those are awesome names! Haha I love Scrappy, Earl and Clyde too : ) so cute. Boy, I am going to have a hard decision lol with all of the great name choices. Thank you!

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

Blackie is the first thing that came to my mind but as I sat here trying to think like my mom the name Moses came to me. So there's two more for you. Or you know, Sampson is cute, too.

Hi Jackie, oh now I love those too lol. Wow, I will try to figure out what fits his personality best. I am really liking Sampson!

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

Yes. Our Chocolate Lab was a big teddy bear. He came to us from a previous owner and was already named Hershey. Cadberry sounds a little more upscale, and Giardelli is a bit of a mouthful. Godiva wouldn't work for a male.
    Nothing can steal your heart like a Lab pup.

Oh, I know he was a sweetheart, your Hershey. Guardrail is a mouthful but creative. Yes, we just love Labs. In the past we have had two black labs and one yellow lab. Appreciate the great answer!

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I am on my second choc. lab. His name is Tully and my last one was Duffy.  My next one would be Dewey, or Cubby.  Great dogs and such clowns.

Everyone goes with a color name - leap outside the box. We had black labs, Brian and Mitch.  We have a Leonberger whose name is Alex.

Hi duffsmom, oh, how cute are your two names.  I had a Cubby growing up.  We had a black lab named Brutus.  That is a thought about leaping outside the box of the color names.  Thanks for answering!

8. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 10 years ago

such a cute puppy I love him
    I like the names Abel and Micah
    Good luck
    Blessings

Hi Laurie, He is a cutie and I love him too.  Aw, those are really great names.  Wow, so many great names to choose from .... Thank you for answering dear one!

9. Romeos Quill profile image76
    Romeos Quillposted 10 years ago

Congratulations Mrs. Reaper....it's a boy! lol! Here's a few suggestions for your new, choccy addition I've come up with for you:- Bungle, Minstrel, Zippy, Sabre, Whisper, Play-dough, Huggy Bear, Slippy, Chortle, (Willy) Wonka, Kofi, Conker, Cat, Romeo smile , Captain Cola, Mr. Tickle, Pepper, Doctor Dribble, Beanbag, Sir Eatalot, Muzzletov, Niblet, Sergeant Sponge, Bo-bo, George's Nightmare, Elvis, Ploppy, Nugget, Scarf-Face, Mister Ted, Bigfoot, Aero, Sausage, D'ogtagnan, Caesar, Bumbag, Brownie The Second, Mowgli, Robber, Burger, Sweepy, Backdraft, Chewsy, Dinner For One, Crispy, Typo, Wobble, Bubble, Chicken, Riddler, Tinker, Moomin, Wiggle, Psycho and Gnasher. smile Oscar that you're thinking of sounds great. I hope you finally choose one that you really like. Have fun!
    R.Q.

LOL, wow, dear Romeos, you are very creative there with the many names!  Thank you! LOL, "George's Nightmare"  haha so true!  Yes, this Brownie is actually brown HA.  I have much to think upon for sure! Oh, Romeo is really cute too : ) hehe  Hugs!!!

2. profile image0

You know, Romeo would be a cool name too. You could get him a sister and name her Juliet. Have you made a decision yet?

Yes, Romeo would be a very cool name, and I like Juliet too if we were to get a female.  Well, my husband seems to like the name Max LOL, so that may be his name.  I will run Romeo by him though, as it is pretty cool.

10. ExpectGreatThings profile image74
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 10 years ago

He is adorable! Congratulations!! My little brother got to name our chocolate lab puppy, and he picked the name "Snickers". It was probably the only kind if chocolate he had ever eaten. He was about 4 years old.

Oh, how cute!  I love that ... "Snickers" so adorable.  Thank you for sharing!

2. profile image0

sound's like Oscar is in the lead.

Haha Lori ...just so happens my husband just mentioned he likes Oscar : )

4. ExpectGreatThings profile image74
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I love the name Oscar!

5. Faith Reaper profile image82

Yes, I love Oscar too, but my husband likes Max, which I do as well, so... Hmmm LOL

11. bravewarrior profile image88
    bravewarriorposted 10 years ago

My ex-boyfriend had a Chocolate Lab who died recently of old age. His name was Jake (the dog, not the boyfriend). He was an awesome dog. I was truly heartbroken when he died.

Hi Sha, thank you for answering.  Oh, I am glad Jake had a long life and I know he gave your ex-boyfriend a life of unconditional love and you too.  Yes, it is so sad when they leave us.  I like the name Jake.  Thank you for sharing!

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jake is such a satisfying name to speak as well as to hear.  smile

3. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Faith, sorry for picking anywhere to give you another name, however I cant answer again. But another name that came to mind is Cinder

4. Faith Reaper profile image82

Hi Laurie (Rayne), oh, I love that and how perfect.  I answered Anna's comment too but I don't see it, now I can't comment.  I love Charlie too, as in Charlie Brown. My husband likes Max, so I believe we have a Max now.  I appreciate the great names!

12. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 10 years ago

What a cute puppy!  I agree that waiting a few days will help to match the name to the character. Yes, so many names to choose from, aren't there?  I'm sure you will find the right one.  You will have to write a hub on this one.  smile

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Faith Reaper - how beautiful is that!  I just love the breed, quite one of my favorite.  May the little fella bring you much joy.

2. Faith Reaper profile image82

Thanks so much teaches and sallybea!  Yes, so many great names for sure.  I have no doubt he will bring us much joy over the years with that unconditional love they give.  Hugs to you both

13. savvydating profile image88
    savvydatingposted 10 years ago

Now that's what I cal a beautiful Lab. My step sister has a Lab. His name is Licorice. By the way. Congratulations on the new addition to the family.

Hi savvydating, thank you so much.  Aw, I love your sister's Lab name, Licorice!  Perfect.

14. Sparklea profile image61
    Sparkleaposted 10 years ago

OH, OH, OH, HOW VERY ADORABLE...I WANT TO HUG HIM!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

HIS EYES ARE SO BEAUTIFUL.
    IT TOOK US A FEW DAYS TO NAME OUR STRAY CAT, BUT MY CLOSE FRIEND HAS A LAB DOG.  SHE AND HER HUSBAND NAMED IT
    OLLIE.  I LOVE THAT NAME.  ALSO OSCAR.
    IF I THINK OF ANY MORE NAMES I'LL LET YOU KNOW. 
    WHAT A LUCKY DOG!  GOD BLESS SPARKLEA smile

Hi Sparklea,  I know, it is so hard to not hug him all day long!  Oh, I love Ollie too!  Thank you for sharing.  God bless.

15. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 10 years ago

Congratulations on a new family member who will likely love you more than itself. I hope you are able to be the person your beautiful dog always will think you are.  Me, I wonder if dogs aren't the only creatures I should even bother with.

Hi Wesman Todd Shaw, Thank you so much!  Yes, indeed, we humans can learn a lot from dogs and their unconditional love.  I can tell you are a dog lover no doubt!  My husband likes the name Max, so that may be it lol.

16. Craeft profile image81
    Craeftposted 10 years ago

Labs are the best. I used to raise and train them for obedience and for leader dogs. Love the breed.

With that out of the way, what are you into? Usually what I do is pay attention to their behaviour and adapt it to my interests.
    For example, we have a chocolate lab named "Coda." The reason is because my girlfriend and I both play piano and love music and we saved the puppy from the pound so the name represents ending that life for her to start a new one for the remainder of her "song" - "D.S. al Coda".

My previous pit/lab mix was originally named "Sage" (which is an herb of calming) but after seeing her behaviour, I changed her name to "Ginseng" (an herb of energy).

Personally, I don't like common names (Dakota, Cocoa [no offense], etc.). However, interesting takes on common names can be fun.
    When I worked in a vet clinic, we had a patient named "Phydeaux". We had a cat named "Sieti" (pronounced [see-AY-tee].

Looking at the pic, I think "Cute Ass Dog" is a great name.  tongue  hehe
    Maybe "CAD" for short.  heh

Hello Craeft, Wow, oh, I love how you determine what to name your pets/dogs ...that is so awesome!  LOL, he is indeed that!!!  I like CAD too.  Thank you for sharing and love your reasoning behind the names you choose.

17. EGamboa profile image73
    EGamboaposted 10 years ago

Awwwww, how cute. I like Hershey, but you could also go with Carmen or Gandhi.

Thank you so much, EGamboa.  Yes, Hershey is cute.  My husband likes Max though LOL

18. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 10 years ago

Oh my, what an adorable face! I just want to squeeze and hug this little guy. He reminds me so much of our own black Labrador (mix from the SPCA) whom we named Tony Curtis. He is my constant companion and BFF. It is tough to pick out just the right name for your new friend but it will definitely come to you when least expect it.
    Enjoy that little bundle of love.
    Peg

Thanks so much, Peg. Yes, he is hard to resist hugging for sure. We have had black and yellow labs before, but this is the first chocolate. I love your Tony Curtis.

19. Anna Haven profile image71
    Anna Havenposted 10 years ago

Congratulations, he is lovely Faith Reaper, look at those big eyes.  I think he looks like a Charlie, I don't know why.
    He must have his name by now, I wonder what you choose?

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)