Who is right about God and why do you say this: belief, reason, experience, othe

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Storytellersrus profile image66
    Storytellersrusposted 9 years ago

Who is right about God and why do you say this: belief, reason, experience, other?

How one lives one's life appears based on religious/spiritual dictates, yet even within the same system there are conflicting applications, even arguments that can lead to rationized killing, subversion, submission.  If there is One Beginning and many interpretations, how might each approach contribute toward creating One Unified Image?  Is there anything upon which all might agree? 

For example, My (meaning your) grandchildren are the cutest?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8901575_f260.jpg

2. Josh Makaveli profile image39
    Josh Makaveliposted 9 years ago

This is huge subject for humans on earth that who is God or if there is a God or where God is? There are several question running every persons mind but the thing is that God has been answering all this questions by Himself in His Holy Books and through His interpreters since the world is made.
    Secondly its not possible to let everyone agreed on a single point just like in your example that "Our grandchildren are the cutest". God has made evil and good and all of our lives vary between these two things, so some accept evil and some believe in good and it will keep on going this way.
    This is because God wants this to happen so He may reward at the judgement day.

1. Justin Earick profile image67
      Justin Earickposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Holy books? I assume you mean the Koran, the Torah, the Book of Mormon, Gnostic gospels, Greek mythology..
      What about the Pastafarian gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster who offers salvation with an after-life of meat-sauce with garlic & parme

3. Justin Earick profile image67
    Justin Earickposted 9 years ago

If there is a creator-as-god whom is inherently good- why/how did he create evil? If god is the light then how can god not also be the darkness?  Did he not create both?
    How can a just god disregard his own creation?

1. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God is above all dichotomy. He disregards nothing. Only those who use literal interpretation (misinterpretation) will see conflict and discord.

2. Snøwman profile image57
      Snøwmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God did not create evil. He created good. Evil is the manifestation of the absence of good. Just like how dark is the absence of light.

Snowman - So you are saying the devil created evil? If that is so, then the devil is just as much our creator as god.

4. Snøwman profile image57

Why do you want to know the origin of evil?

5. Justin Earick profile image67

Because I am curious as to where believers think evil comes from. Either god created everything, including evil, and therefore god is both the darkness and light. Or god didn't create anything, which means intelligent design and salvation are absurd.

6. Snøwman profile image57

Here's the answer to why there is evil.
      We need to choose between good and evil. We need to know what good is. If everything was the same temperature, would we know what heat is?

We can't choose to be good if that's the only choice we have.

7. Justin Earick profile image67

I'm not arguing that point, in fact you are making mine for me.
      I didn't ask *why* there is evil - I am wondering how god can claim to be the embodiment of good if he is also the origination/creator of all the world's evil?
      either both or neither.

4. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Love is right. Always.

If we are loving, then we are always right about everything. Forget logic. Logic is a limited tool of physical reality. Spirit transcends all logic, because it is the foundation upon which all logic is based.

Everyone is partially right about God, even atheists. Atheists do not see God, so they don't believe He exists. For them, he does not, so they are right. Each viewpoint is a relative truth, but not absolute Truth. If we were perfectly, 100% right about God, we would be at-one-with God, as was Christ.

Love is what binds everything together in the Bible. Even when King David had to wage war, he was guided by love. Sometimes, we have to do things in this world that are not in perfect alignment with our view of love, but they are the thing that love needs in that moment. Thus, David could not build the temple, because he was tainted by war and by blood. This is the same reason Moses could not enter the Promised Land. He is revered as an honored son of God, but was denied the earthly destination.

When Christ asked his disciples to get money and buy swords, it was not because using a sword is a loving thing, but love required the hearts of the temple servants to be set against Christ so that he would be sacrificed. The disciple who cut the ear of the temple servant might well have died later by the sword as he had lived in this moment of love's need. But it served a greater purpose of love.

If we remain humble, hungry for God's answers, loving to one another unconditionally, perfectly responsible for all that happens to us and fearlessly confident in God and His power, then we are always right, even if a scholar of logic finds something inconsistent. Righteousness is not measured by stones, but by spirit and by love.

You sound like me ten years ago. Given quantum chromodynamics, the perceiver is able to effect that which is perceived. But how can people create heaven in their own minds once they are deceased?

5. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 9 years ago

I believe that their is a divine/supreme being that have help shape us into what we are now.

There will always be conflict in religion as people who run/start religion want power and religion is a surest way to get it.

For me I dont believe the things that religion feed/teach people.  As long as I live life as I want others to treat me and I can do the right things according to my values.  I am a happy person

You're a good christian. Unfortunately, for good christians to exist, we also get the bad who would use their personal (or their pastor's) interpretation of scripture to justify homophobic bigotry, suppression of women & slut-shaming, Zionism...

6. Snøwman profile image57
    Snøwmanposted 9 years ago

James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1?lang=eng
    Read this story about a boy who struggled to find the truth and eventually found it.

7. Ceegen profile image67
    Ceegenposted 9 years ago

I believe that the bible is the Word of God in written form. I believe every word of it. (And by that, I mean the King James Version).

Not because I want to, but because all my research, prayers and path have led me there. Because of that, I see no compromising with the truth, and no escape from death or sin except in Jesus Christ. So no, I can't agree simply to disagree. It's either God's way or the highway... (To hell).

And no, you don't have to go to church. I find more hypocrites in a church than I do out on the street.

You cannot possibly believe every word of the bible. Low hanging fruit - how can each of the four gospels have a different account of whom was present when it was discovered that Jesus' tomb was empty three days after his crucifixion?

2. Ceegen profile image67
      Ceegenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Yes, I do" does not even attempt to answer the question, neither does the link.
      How can the bible be both the literal and infallible word of almighty god and also the fallible work of man (whom have all fallen short)?
      It cannot be both. Try again.

4. Snøwman profile image57

The bible originally was the word of God. Then parts of it God changed. Now it's mostly the word of God, with some parts missing and some parts that don't belong there.

5. Ceegen profile image67

Meh, believe what you want. I don't see the contradictions you see. I see corroborating testimonies from different perspectives. That's the difference: Perspective.

6. Justin Earick profile image67

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah! Believers are so precious. So now; 'perfect god made the perfect bible. then perfect god made imperfect changes, so now god's perfect bible is imperfect because of god.'
      Oh, and it's all still literally true...
      Really?

7. Snøwman profile image57

God didn't make the changes, people did.

8. Justin Earick profile image67

So to recap, you admit that fallible men have changed the bible from what god intended, aaaand you believe every word of the bible to be literally true because it is "the word of god in written form"?
      These are opposing ideas, both cannot be true.

9. Snøwman profile image57

Much of the bible is symbolic and not literally true. Like the book of Revelation. There's no way all those weird beasts and stuff are literally true.

Yes. people made a few changes to the bible, but most of it has remained unchanged.

10. Justin Earick profile image67

So before you said you believe every word is literal truth, now it's mostly symbolic.
      Problem being, too many folks think their (pastor's) personal interpretation is the literal word of god & use it as justification to suppress women and gay peop

11. Ceegen profile image67

I'm not Snowman, I believe it's literal and perfect, not just some allegorical story. It's never been changed, and the findings of the Dead Sea Scrolls prove that. The Isaiah scroll by itself is sufficient evidence.

12. Justin Earick profile image67

Not meant to be taken literally. Snakes & burning bushes don't talk. Virgins don't have kids. People can't be made from a rib, ascend to heaven, live inside of a big fish, or to 900 years old. And the earth is much much older than 6000 years old.

13. Ceegen profile image67

The snake was Satan. God is a consuming fire. There is only one virgin birth, and that was it. Never heard of cloning, and why not x3? It's probably closer to 5,984 years old, not quite 6k yet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)